Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that you had no idea what to do in as a kid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Had Populus on the Sega Master System II, spent months, years even, not knowing how to progress in it.
    So I'd put it away, then go back thinking I had to be missing something, I mean it said on the box how popular it was, how could it be popular if you couldn't do anything in it.
    Much time passed and I went for another go, and then I accidentally flattened some ground, and that was my revelation, you had to flatten areas of ground so you could set up villages and towns and get better powers.

And Echo The Dolphin, no idea what to do then, and no idea now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

SeantheMan wrote: »
    How did you not get your head around pressing accelerate and turning when corners came up ? You learn to do this as a 3 year old when you start pushing your walker, or going around in your red and yellow roofed car
    Couldn't hack the air brake system for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shadowrun on the SNES.

Rented it after school one day, and after playing it for an hour or so I ended up having more fun doing my homework. Couldn't get my head around it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The original Prince of Persia on an old Macintosh LC. There was a guy with a sword who I could never beat.

Edit - This guy:

vPCDHT8.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

mightyreds wrote: »
    Revenge of shinobi for me the labyrinth level, could never figure out where to go just kept going round in circles, played that game so much always just to that level.

This is what I was going to post. Still bugs me to this day lol, must actually have another go at finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Also, Comix Zone.

I'm not sure if it was just that damn difficult or if I couldn't figure out how to progress.

It came on the same disk as Ecco The Dolphin which I did manage to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Also, Comix Zone.

I'm not sure if it was just that damn difficult or if I couldn't figure out how to progress.

Never heard of that one before but it looks interesting.

I like the art style (like a comic, an earlier viersion of viewtiful joe). A bit like streets of rage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Also, Comix Zone.

-Comix Zone- video

Comix Zone is only about 3 levels long. The problem is, you have unavoidable obstacles, such as barrels and walls etc, but breaking them damages your character; it leaves you in the odd position of missing a quarter/third of a life-bar having had the perfect run, with the optimal route, but you've not got enough left in the kitty to take on the boss properly.

I can't even remember if it refills your lifebar on progression either.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Metal Gear Solid 1 took me an embarrassing amount of time to get past the menu. Kept pressing the X button to select new game and it kept bring me back. Eventually pressed circle and figured it out. I worry about my self sometimes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Zoids and Aliens on the C64. Was never sure if the latter had an objectibe besides killing random waves of aliens. Also the rooms with guns on the walls bugged me. I couln't figure out if you could get more ammo there. Cue loads of shooting at said guns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Super Thunder Blade on the Mega Drive, kept crashing into those f*cking buildings at the start and just gave up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

GoldenEye_007_%28N64%29_%282%29_03.jpg

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

cloud493 wrote: »

No idea.
    Really???

Hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic on Boards.

The control level in goldeneye was tricky though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Back when this was first in my house, aye. I was only 6 like, no idea what I was doing. I rolled off the top bunk in my room playing this and broke my arm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

cloud493 wrote: »

No idea.

Same for me. I was about 7 and never played a console before. I somehow killed that guard and then, for some unknown reason, fired all my bullets into that cliff on the left, while my friend and his brother looked on in disgust.

wrathoftheblackmanta29.png

Soon after that, I got a NES off my cousins. It came with Super Mario Bros 3 and this game, which I just found out was called Wrath of the Black Manta. The screen is from the very first boss, who I could never, ever beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Syndicate wars, the 3d one, spent hours without a manual trying to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I remember I got this game called Kurushi (Intelligent Qube in the US) on a demo disk from a playstation mag years ago. Didn't have a breeze what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

This shaggin game!

KingsQuest.png

Also took me weeks to get by the starting area in Faxandu on Nintendo!

Faxanadu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

As many people have mentioned,Intelligence Cube was just a cluster of curosity playing as a kid. Just what the hell was I doing?! The man screaming as he's crushed by cubes and as he falls into that endless abyss of death made it all the more terrifying! Eventually went back to play it as an adult and it is an addictive puzzle game at times! Still never got to stage 20. Though I think the only thing you get for beating it is a choice for avatar which is...pointless :o

Another game that was confusing as hell to me was Carnage Heart,anyone ever played it? It was an rts/rpg game for the ps1. Hadn't a clue what was going on and the robots had to be programmed by yourself or they were useless in combat. The difficulty was also ridiculous between stages which didn't let you get settled with how the game flowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kurushi, worth a few bob if you own a copy.
    Kula World is another one that stumps people, though I quite liked it, I still own them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Gandalph wrote: »
    This shaggin game!

KingsQuest.png
    Which KQ is that? I remember absolutely loving King's Quest III, played at a friend's house on his Dad's Wang PC (very popular maker back in the day!) - was a really fun game but got stuck a few hours into it, after escaping from the wizard's house, got down into the local countryside and eventually ran out of places to go and things to do:

kingsquest3a.jpg

I remember having loads of trouble with The Hobbit back in the 80s, could never get very far. No clue what machine (or even friend's house) we played that in, was so long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Simon's Quest on the NES was just a cryptic game to me. I think it was the only game I didn't complete from our collection, that was one game you needed some advice from the magazines since I thought it told you fùck all what to do in-game.

I couldn't even cheat and carry on from the brother's passwords because he scribbled them down in such a way I couldn't understand anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mezcita wrote: »
    Little Computer People. Just thought it looked great. In hindsight I'm convinced my parents were drugging me as a child.

Jaysus this was the 1st game I ever played around 4 or 5 years old. All I remember was feeding the guy dog food until he felt very sick and wanted to go to bed. Then I would make him walk up and down the stairs until he eventually fell down the stairs, think he died then. What a genius game!

I remember being baffled by Young Merlin on the SNES. Great game but didn't have a clue how to proceed past a certain part.

76274-young-merlin-snes-screenshot-icon-based-conversations.png

Comix Zone was one of my favourite games on the Mega Drive. Never cleared it but that was only down to the difficulty. Must pick it up on PS.

Great Thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ionapaul wrote: »
    King's Quest III, played at a friend's house on his Dad's Wang PC (very popular maker back in the day!)

I believe that when they were based in Dublin all the people on phone support had to answer the phone with "Wang cares" :D

ionapaul wrote: »
    Which KQ is that?

I think it's the first one. I was so young when I played sure I couldn't even spell at that stage and it didn't help that you were suppose to type in all the commands :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This particular bit of this game... :
    500px-Monkey_island_recipe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Nightbreed on the C64. Absolutely no idea what was going on with that game :confused:
    I had that on the Amiga 500 and I remember working out how to do the "driving" stage (top down view and I think you clicked on the corners and the car drove there) but the next bit I think involved running from the monsters with some control method I couldn't figure out

I saw this screen a lot before I gave up:
    night_breed_-_the_interactive_movie_10.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sy1JL.png

That ****in goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not necessarily a game, but part of a game. Metal Gear Solid. Meryl's Codec frequency on the back of the CD case.

I spent two days looking for a CD case... in the actual game. There was one room that looked like it had a computer in it, and there was a glowing dot on the radar. I spent ages in that room alone pressing every button on the controller. Turned out the dot was a guard in the room below.

Felt like a f*cking moron when I finally cracked and asked my friend (who I'd borrowed the game from) how to do it.

Advertisement