Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that you had no idea what to do in as a kid

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I could never, ever figure out how to get past Scar at the end of The Lion King on the Megadrive. I bet you it is embarrassingly easy, but I tried what at the time seemed like a whole host of techniques - including painstakingly luring him to the edge of the cliff - but the evil **** just wouldn't give up. At least the amazing 16 bit versions of the various film songs made the chore of getting to the end a bit easier, especially during the damn falling log platforming bits in the Hakunah Mathatah stages.

Some day the king I will return and try again, and I shall surely be humbled by finally effortlessly confronting the torment that has plagued me for the guts of two decades. Either that or it really is incredibly hard. I'm banking on the former.

This weekend, I finally confronted this trauma from my past. On Saturday morning, with no assistance from the Internet, I sat down and managed to beat the Lion King. I might be in my mid-twenties, but it was only after Scar tumbled off that virtual cliff that I finally felt like an adult :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Could you imagine the youth of today trying to play Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This weekend, I finally confronted this trauma from my past. On Saturday morning, with no assistance from the Internet, I sat down and managed to beat the Lion King. I might be in my mid-twenties, but it was only after Scar tumbled off that virtual cliff that I finally felt like an adult :pac:

Hakuna Matata to you :P....means no worries...for the rest of your days now ;) :cool:

That section...with that song (can't wait to be king) playing in the background...having to bounce from giraffe to other animals....I must've spent days on it as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Too add to the metal gear sections, there was a part in 3....where you're wading through the river against the boss...(the sorrow)...confronting all these ghosts.
    I honestly was lot at that section for a few days....I didn't know I was meant to use the revival pill when I died.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I had an Addams Family game for the SNES. I could never figure how to get off the porch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Grimebox wrote: »
    Could you imagine the youth of today trying to play Dark Souls

I've seen it. They have the game on the tv and the youtube walkthrough playing on their tablet/smartphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I've seen it. They have the game on the tv and the youtube walkthrough playing on their tablet/smartphones.

So exactly how I play it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I remember being baffled by Young Merlin on the SNES. Great game but didn't have a clue how to proceed past a certain part.

76274-young-merlin-snes-screenshot-icon-based-conversations.png

I was waiting for someone to say this :D

Also I might add:
    Grim Fandango
    Curse of Monkey Island on Hard (could not patch the hole in the boat)
    Jack the Nipper on Amstrad
    TaiPan on Amstrad
    Prince on Persion on the like 2nd Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cormac... wrote: »
    Grim Fandango

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

F**K YOU LITTLE SEA MAN! Gimmie the light!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

This......
    knightmare_01.gif241116-knightmare-commodore-64-screenshot-introductions.png
    Maybe I was a bit slow but could never get past the first two rooms....which is where you start. So, eh, yeah.

Also, this.....
    Rex_Nebular_cover.jpg
    Magnificently unintuitive slowmoving unfunny piece of cosmic garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Downloaded Another World after reading this thread and I'm bloody stuck on a bit!

I can see why it was impossible for the wee lads

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

There was an old game called Fable for the PC that my uncle gave me and my brother when we were kids. It was a point and click adventure game, and we could never get past one of the puzzles early on in the game. Tried reinstalling it to give it a bash as a grown-up but it won't run on my laptop. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

fearrua wrote: »
    There was an old game called Fable for the PC that my uncle gave me and my brother when we were kids. It was a point and click adventure game, and we could never get past one of the puzzles early on in the game. Tried reinstalling it to give it a bash as a grown-up but it won't run on my laptop. Ah well.

I had that as well and I couldn't finish it either! There was some puzzle in an undersea grotto where you had to collect something, sea shells I think but I could never find the final one. It was either that or I couldn't find a key to open the door to the next section. It was definitely something that I just couldn't find no matter how often I tried clicking on every pixel on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

I had that as well and I couldn't finish it either! There was some puzzle in an undersea grotto where you had to collect something, sea shells I think but I could never find the final one. It was either that or I couldn't find a key to open the door to the next section. It was definitely something that I just couldn't find no matter how often I tried clicking on every pixel on the screen.

Well you got further than I did I think! As far as I can remember I got stuck on the ice stage which was the very first one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

TheImmortal.jpg

I couldn't figure out the combat on this one and so got nowhere. Also died to the worm in the first room a few times...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,889 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a very hard game alright.

Gotta love the death animations!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

fearrua wrote: »
    Well you got further than I did I think! As far as I can remember I got stuck on the ice stage which was the very first one :o

From what I remember the game was incredibly finicky. If you didn't place your character/pointer in the exact spot, nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

kerushi/ iq is a whopper game

loved it as a kid not knowing what to do and love it now on my phone using an emulator

love the sound effects and music great game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Metroid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Still no clue as to what I should have been doing....

Such a difficult game aswell...

Platoon: Level 1 - Commodore 64: http://youtu.be/lNfsY4CnJzA

• Advertisement
Advertisement