Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining weight to get pregnant?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Just curious, has anyone on here been told by their doctor they needed to gain a few lbs in order to get pregnant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jm84

Hi,
    Yup I was told it would do me no harm to gain some weight to get pregnant....very very hard to do surprisingly enough! I must have some super fast metabolism as I rarely go up or down by a couple of lb no matter what I do!! were you given any suggestions?!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Yes he recommend given me some tablets to take to boost my appetite. I run a lot and last year I was training a lot for the mini marathon and my weight dropped to 7st5lbs, at 5ft 6 I was very underweight and didn't have a period in 7/8 months. It scared the hell out of me that I may have damaged my fertility. I cut back on the running to only 2/3 times per week and eventually after I don't know how many months got back to a healthy weight. But now I have dropped 4lbs and while I am a healthy BMI my periods have stopped again so now I am back eating everything in my way!!

It really hard, I must ask about tablets to increase appetite, I eat quite healthy but not obsessed by healthy eating, just took it upon myself to eat healthy quite early on due to my family having a rather unhealthy diet (deep fried, chips with every meal, breakfast wasnt important etc) so as soon as I could take charge I did..

I have looked up lots of different websites about gaining weight and they are hard to come by as everyone wants to loose it!!! I am 5ft4 and currently 7st5 but normally 7st3 (I kno whats 2lbs but still!!! I want to get to at least 8st but cant manage it!!

I see an endocronologist to deal with fertility issues and she said to take it easy with exercise as I have a very busy job so on my feet all the time running about so burn off calories that way, she also suggested ensure drinks - they are normally for people who are ill or having treatments but she said they also boost nutrients so if I can take 2 cartons of them a day along with my meals I should gain weight...so far I havent!!!

It is really hard there is only so much you can eat in a day and I wont eat fatty/high calorie foods just for the sake it because that's not healthy either.I suppose for me I need to cut back on the running maybe do more walking instead. I have heard of the ensure drinks they are supposed to taste really nice and there a good way to add in a few sneaky calories :)
    Just out of interest do you go running/jogging much in your free time?

no I dont run or jog but I took up a sport a few years ago with training 3 nights a week and my weight dropped too much so gave it up and never really put the weight back on after that....I have a very active job so on the go alot but have noticed that I have been off work for 5 wks and staying around 7st5/6 compared to always 7st2/3

yeah I'm the same, not going to eat crap for the sake of it because I will prob end up with high cholesterol or diabetes or something knowing my luck!!! I do make sure everything I eat is full fat and also add cream to my coffee to add some extra calories. also i dont skimp on things like butter or cream when cooking. I read somewhere that Icecream is good to add a few extra calories...just make sure its not a high sugar one. I suppose its all about getting the balance right, and if you can add some extra calories throughout the day it helps. my appatite wouldnt be big so feel if I snack at 11am I wont be hungry for my lunch at 1.30 if you get me!?

• Advertisement

Exactly to me that's curing one ailment but causing another !! Yea I agree adding full fat versions to everything and having a little bit more at meal times will eventually bring it up. I am the same I have breakfast and wouldn't eat again until lunch and then again in the evening. Could you bring little nibbles with you to work and graze throughout the day at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hi ladies. You could pop over to the health and fitness forum for tips. There's always men trying to eat more to bulk up. It's always recommended to eat more obviously but it's often also recommended that you drink full fat milk with your meals, use coconut oil for cooking and eat peanut/almond butter as snacks. Nuts are healthy and calorie dense as a snack. There's some good nutrition stickies in the Nutrition forum.

Good luck with ttc!

Advertisement