Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outcast HD Reboot on Kickstarter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I really hope they get it and I'm very tempted to back it. I remember seeing the original previews for the game and thinking I really want to try that as it was so different from whats out there. Unfortunately I could never getting it running consistently on my machine to the end, due to that unique way they built the game. Resolution was always really low (had to be) and even using the mods that are out there still had lots of crashes. Have tried quite a few times over the years to get it working (I've lost track of the number of time I played that training level at the start!) It's always reminded me a lot of Stargate from what I've seen and played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The graphics of this game was so god damn amazing for it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't know much or anything about the game, never played it. But would give it a try if reasonably priced when released.
    However...going on that video.....they really need to edit the animations. The running animations are awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, I was only thinking about this last week, I had it at launch and it was amazing, the visuals running with no graphics acceleration, beautiful.
    It does run well on current machines when patched though, I'll have to look at the Kickstarter page to see the advantages of this edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I still have this game :)
    Will keep an eye on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

SeantheMan wrote: »

I don't know much or anything about the game, never played it. But would give it a try if reasonably priced when released.
    However...going on that video.....they really need to edit the animations. The running animations are awful.

They said in the video that they're the old and/or placeholder animations used temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I remember getting this but my PC not being fast enough. Aside from slogging through the 5fps gameplay, the only thing I remember is the guy's name: Cutter Slade :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

It still has a long way to go and not a lot of time left, does not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I used to love the way that when you started a new level, it sort of mapped out the whole world using a green grid. very cool back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

30 hours to go and only 250K of the 600K pledge funded. Doesn't look good :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Man, I've still an old PC Zone magazine with this featured. I remember you needed one of those fancy 3D cards to play it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Man, I've still an old PC Zone magazine with this featured. I remember you needed one of those fancy 3D cards to play it!

It actually didn't need a 3D card. 3D cards work on polygon based systems. The game was voxel based. The game was nearly totally CPU dependent which might be why it failed, the CPU requirements for the game were insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wasn't really voxel based.
    I can't Google it now so I'll let you do it instead!
    Comanche was the big voxel game and Minecraft is actually considered a modern day example .

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It wasn't really voxel based.
    I can't Google it now so I'll let you do it instead!
    Comanche was the big voxel game and Minecraft is actually considered a modern day example .

It wasn't true vowel, true vowels take up considerable amounts of CPU power. It was a sort of pseudo vowel engine were there were height ceilings to reduce CPU levels. Most of those old vowel engines like the ones in the novalogic games like Comanche and delta force used pseudo voxels. Most used voxels for terrain and polygons for characters since voxels are harder to animate than polygons.

Minecraft wouldn't really be voxels since its blocks of polygons and not 3d pixels that make up the world.

That's me told then ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Enhanced Version of PC Cult Classic Suddenly Pops Up on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336610/

OF NOTE: If you're interested, you can find Outcast 1.1 on Steam here. It'll be unlocked in a few hours. Do note that on the Facebook page, the devs have said that the GOG version of the game will receive this update for free, so it might be best to wait if you already own a GOG copy

Advertisement