Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warm or cold barrel?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi all,doing a bit of research on accuracy, (hmr)and as far as i can make out its better to do a zero session with a cold barrel,fire one shot,leave 10 mins,fire another and so on,would that be right?opinions please,thanks;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd be inclined to agree. For hunting rifles anyway.

Your first shot will always be with a cold barrel. As you don't fire frequently or repeatedly the majority of your shots will be cold barrel shots. So best to have it hitting spot on with such conditions.

When i zero at the range, and am finished, i let the gun sit for while. Then i take one cold bore shot. If it hits where i want i'm done. If not i'll make a slight adjustment, wait for a completely cool barrel and go again. Chances are even with a hot barrel the POI shift will be slight.

For a target rifle it's a different story, but not relevant to what you are discussing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,doing a bit of research on accuracy, (hmr)and as far as i can make out its better to do a zero session with a cold barrel,fire one shot,leave 10 mins,fire another and so on,would that be right?opinions please,thanks;)

For hunting, definitely cold zero the barrel at the distances you expect to take a shot.

Personally, I like to zero at 200ya.

Do you hold over or click in? I prefer hold over. Once zeroed at 200ya, I determine, with a cold barrel, where my round hits (how many inches high or low) using the reticle hash marks of the scope.

Additionally, I will eye-ball hold under, just in case a closer shot presents.

Not sure about the time. I think that it would be best that you dial in over the course of a few weeks prior to the hunting season, if that is your game. Always, paying attention to that first shot.

If you have a second gun, bring that to avoid boredom.

Take notes. Day one - where did the first round hit? Then note the time waited and the number of shots to get to zero.

Day two - are you still zeroed? If not, how far off, and compare where you are to day 1.

I would repeat, if you have the time, until you arrive at the range and are accurate with the first shot and precise with the second.

Also, you may want to note the temperature. You'll be hunting in colder temperatures and may need to adjust. You will also want to check zero in the temps in which you will be hunting.

I think the cold barrel zero is most important if you are taking game at longer distances. Inside of 200ya, a cold zero problem will lose you the contest/match, but not the dinner.

Advertisement