Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choice

• 23-04-2014 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I'm in ty at the moment and we have to pick our subjects for next year. We were meant to hand in our forms before the holidays so I'm under a bit of pressure!

Provisionally I'm saying German business chemistry and biology but I'm worried about the sciences... Especially chemistry! Although I liked junior cert science I don't think I want a career in it and both biology and chemistry have a reputation for being difficult/having long courses.... At the dame time I'm scared to cut off any options!

I'm thinking about dropping chemistry and Doing history or home ec instead but I'm not sure!

If anyone could give me any advice or information about any of the subjects mentioned it would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bio and Chem can be hard but personally I found the Bio material to be that bit more accessible. Just my personal experience however.

If you are afraid of cutting your options, have a look at the entry requirements for third level science / pharma / medical type courses and see what the specific science subject requirements are.

Don't feel under pressure to choose and speak to your guidance councillor if you feel you need more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I was in your exact position and kept a science just to keep my options open even though I felt in my gut I had no real desire to pursue a scientific course at third level.

I really regret picking chemistry as it's difficult for starters, but the course is actually very long too, I think. I'd definitely avoid chemistry unless you're strongly considering a science based third level course.

If you're considering any business line in future you should strongly consider doing accounting instead of chemistry. I'd also consider it a good subject for points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Disorganised Disaster

robman60 wrote: »
    I was in your exact position and kept a science just to keep my options open even though I felt in my gut I had no real desire to pursue a scientific course at third level.

I really regret picking chemistry as it's difficult for starters, but the course is actually very long too, I think. I'd definitely avoid chemistry unless you're strongly considering a science based third level course.

If you're considering any business line in future you should strongly consider doing accounting instead of chemistry. I'd also consider it a good subject for points.

I would love to do accounting but I didn't do business for junior cert and from what people have been saying accounting doesn't seem like one you could just pick up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 raz789

I would love to do accounting but I didn't do business for junior cert and from what people have been saying accounting doesn't seem like one you could just pick up?

It's not bad and very little of Junior Cert business applies to it. It's a matter of a good teacher and just practicing the accounts.
    Last time I checked it had a high A count.

raz789 wrote: »
    It's not bad and very little of Junior Cert business applies to it. It's a matter of a good teacher and just practicing the accounts.
    Last time I checked it had a high A count.

Would it be a better subject to take up from scratch than business?

• Advertisement

It's a question of do you want to do written work over learning. Questions in accounting can take 30-55 mins each. I assume you're in 5th year?

Edit: I see you're in TY. If you have the teacher then I'd go for it. Or even ask the teacher about the course. Just make sure you're safe for college courses. In general you want at least one science subject.

Is chemistry an entry requirement for aby courses do you know? I know you need two sciences for veterinary and medicine bit do you actually need chemistry alone for anything?

Is chemistry an entry requirement for aby courses do you know? I know you need two sciences for veterinary and medicine bit do you actually need chemistry alone for anything?

Maybe for a pure chemistry course, but I doubt it. It's usually any science subject will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 needhelpquick

Chemistry is a requirement for many courses, including Pharmacy in Trinity and Veterinary at UCD.

Business Would be Easier to Pick up, as All you have to do is learn, whereas In Jc Business, A good 50% of the course is accounts, which take a while to understand, and the go in great detail for leaving Cert.

Certainly Business is more doable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Chemistry is a requirement for many courses, including Pharmacy in Trinity and Veterinary at UCD.

That information seems familiar! ;) Chemistry is not a requirement for many courses, though. Surely everyone agrees that one course in each of UCD and TCD plus three in UCC (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy) does not constitute many?!

PS I don't know about UL and DCU

plus three in UCC (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy)

So Does that Information ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

So Does that Information ;)

The difference being that it was I who originally gave it! :p

Advertisement