Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does having a dog in the house deter mice?

• 23-04-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I have mice in my garden that feed on the nuts and seeds I put out for the birds. Are they likely to come into my house or will they be deterred by the scent of my dog? When it isn't cold I leave my kitchen door open.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

annascott wrote: »
    I have mice in my garden that feed on the nuts and seeds I put out for the birds. Are they likely to come into my house or will they be deterred by the scent of my dog? When it isn't cold I leave my kitchen door open.

not sure but a terrier will hunt mice ruthlessly if they smell or hear them. may well deter them.

if they are getting well fed outside they may not bother coming in. most come in via eg the gaps around kitchen waste pipes. best to make sure all food is in lidded containers etc. i dont store packets except in the high wall cupboards either. it is always easy food they come in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I watched a mouse run across the floor in front of my staffie and he completely ignored it..... this being the dog that will go into full attack mode at the sniff/glimpse of a cat!

snoman wrote: »
    I watched a mouse run across the floor in front of my staffie and he completely ignored it..... this being the dog that will go into full attack mode at the sniff/glimpse of a cat!

collie here is the same, but at one sniff my jrt bassett cross is unstoppable,.. chased a mouse from one room to another and i finally rescued the poor wee thing. then she insisted for hours it was still behind the sideboard and got me moving it.

never saw another mouse in that house and when we had serious mice in another house it was bedlam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We get the feild mice on the feeders at night they don't come in to the house and my dogs chase after them if spotted outside. We've had house mice too who by in large the dogs ignored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Thanks for the replies. It looks like mice are not deterred by the smell of dog in the house. My little mice are field mice at the feeders. They seem to live in behind the oil tank. I normally throw some nuts out for them too. They are cute, I just don't want them in my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Last year my terrier boy killed one but we had some recently and the dogs ignored them.
    I caught two last night in a humane trap and let them go. I only got the trap yesterday so was quite pleased at how well it worked.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like mice are not deterred by the smell of dog in the house. My little mice are field mice at the feeders. They seem to live in behind the oil tank. I normally throw some nuts out for them too. They are cute, I just don't want them in my house.

they are getting food so no reason to come in and if you make sure all food is safely packed they will not be tempted. yes cute indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

they'll stay outside for the summer, when the colder weather hits they will be looking for somewhere warmer

Advertisement