Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch tripped - Downstairs lights/smoke alarms

Options
  • 23-04-2014 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hi.

As above, none of the downstairs lights work, but upstairs do, as do all the plug sockets. Looked at the box thing with all the switches, and one, labelled as 'downstairs lights & smoke alarms' is the one that has tripped. The thing is, it won't go back up again? I'll try to put it up, but it doesn't stay.

Any ideas? Or is it a job for an electrician?

Ps - unless it's something as simple as changing a light-bulb that is required, I would be as useful as a chocolate teapot in matters electrical, so don't bother giving me complex instructions as I probably won't be able to follow them. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

go around and turn of any lights that you have on before the trip triped ...........then go and see will the trip reset .then turn on each light one by one to see if any off them are causing the fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

go around and turn of any lights that you have on before the trip triped ...........then go and see will the trip reset .then turn on each light one by one to see if any off them are causing the fault

Right, I've tried that, but the switch still won't stay up.

A couple of months ago, the light-bulb in the kitchen light exploded - I wonder would that have anything to do with it? (That light wasn't on tonight though when the switch tripped).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

You might have the mcb type that you need to push down and then reset by pushing up, worth a try.

You might have the mcb type that you need to push down and then reset by pushing up, worth a try.

I actually tried that - might give it another go.

• Advertisement

Hah! You're a genius!! I pushed it down until it clicked this time (was afraid to force it earlier) and switched it back up and I'm illuminated again! Cheers! :)

You might have a bulb blown somewhere now, would be a normal occurance for when a bulb would blow to trip the mcb.

You're right actually. The light on the landing blew earlier this evening. Never made a connection as the light is upstairs, but there is a switch for it downstairs as well as upstairs!

Its being fed from the downstairs circuit, many the callouts i have made to discover them mcbs in houses and people not knowing how to reset them, a new bulb and you are back at full health.

...many the callouts i have made to discover them mcbs in houses and people not knowing how to reset them...

....nice gig! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you have GU10 spots when they go they can trip the mcb and fry the dimmer switch too (if there on a dimmer).

If you've no GU10's, do you have any outside lights? possibly water has got in some where, although we haven't had much of that lately. I once had a slug causing a lighting MCB to trip, had crawled into a junction box for an outside light and was shorting across the L-N terminals, >> 10A's flowing through him. the best bit was it didn't even kill him, off he went on this way!

If you have GU10 spots when they go they can trip the mcb and fry the dimmer switch too (if there on a dimmer).

If you've no GU10's, do you have any outside lights? possibly water has got in some where, although we haven't had much of that lately. I once had a slug causing a lighting MCB to trip, had crawled into a junction box for an outside light and was shorting across the L-N terminals, >> 10A's flowing through him. the best bit was it didn't even kill him, off he went on this way!

Don't have a dimmer.

What are GU10 spots? Are they similar to g-spots? :D

I have an outside light which was not on. The one that blew, was the upstairs landing light, which also has a switch downstairs.

I don't know what junction boxes or L-N terminals are. That said, I ain't going searching for slugs!!!! :cool:

....nice gig! :cool:

He has paid his debt to society by helping me out! :)

Advertisement