Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking water supply. Rented House

Options
  • 23-04-2014 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

So I've been living in a rented house in Galway since last June and I've always thought that the main kitchen sink tap is coming from the tank in the loft and not the mains. This was mainly because our neighbour ( a retired plumber) mentioned that he didn't think it was, which makes sense since there is very little pressure from that tap. He also said it wouldn't really be safe to drink that water or prepare food with it.

I don't drink the water, my housemates do and they're fine with it. But we all use it for food prep and tea etc. The house was renovated four years ago but the landlord says he doesn't know if the tap is mains or not. Really, my question is, should I be concerned about not having mains water supply in the kitchen and if so , how do I get my landlord to possibly change this?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So I've been living in a rented house in Galway since last June and I've always thought that the main kitchen sink tap is coming from the tank in the loft and not the mains. This was mainly because our neighbour ( a retired plumber) mentioned that he didn't think it was, which makes sense since there is very little pressure from that tap. He also said it wouldn't really be safe to drink that water or prepare food with it.

I don't drink the water, my housemates do and they're fine with it. But we all use it for food prep and tea etc. The house was renovated four years ago but the landlord says he doesn't know if the tap is mains or not. Really, my question is, should I be concerned about not having mains water supply in the kitchen and if so , how do I get my landlord to possibly change this?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

ok, so if the tank in the loft is not filling from the
    mains, where is it filling from?

if he means it is a private spring then he must know and surely he should get it professionally tested periodically.

if it is a rural area could be unsafe indeed.

very odd he says he does not know :confused:

if in doubt, check with threshold about his legal obligations on this

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where the tank fills from isn't the issue...

Council inspection is probably the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As MYOB says, where the tank is filling from is not the issue, its the fact that the water goes through a storage tank on the way to the tap. This should not happen, there could be anything stagnating in the tank, as its probably an open tank in the attic!

You need to get it checked out, but you could check it in a rough and ready way by flushing a toilet, then listening in the upstairs to see if you can hear the attic tank filling, if you can, put the kitchen tap on and see if you can hear the same filling noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Kitchen tap should always be feed from thr mains as water stored in the attic tank can become contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It should be a straight forward test.

turn off the mains, it should be at the front of the house. does the tap still work?

OR

Turn on tap and go to attic, is the water been drawn?

No need for a council inspection.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    No need for a council inspection.

Council are likely the only ones to force what seems to be an extremely disinterested landlord to rectify it if it is an issue, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

thanks for all the replies!

So I checked the attic while the kitchen tap was running and it the tank is being refilled so I assume that means that it's not coming from the mains. There is little water pressure in that tap which would indicate the same.

Our landlord isn't a bad one. We are nearing the end of the lease and annoying that he didn't tell us that the kitchen water is potentially unsafe to drink. Not sure what to do next really.

EDIT: we have had some issues with the washing machine and dishwasher in the kitchen. Shouldn't these be connected to the mains though? And if so, why didn't the connect the sink too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In all likelihood there probably is no issue with the water- but it is something that really should be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

EDIT: we have had some issues with the washing machine and dishwasher in the kitchen. Shouldn't these be connected to the mains though? And if so, why didn't the connect the sink too?

Washing machines and dishwashers need the pressure of mains water to operate properly unless they've been designed not to. Perhaps this is why you had problems with them ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Washing machines and dishwashers need the pressure of mains water to operate properly unless they've been designed not to. Perhaps this is why you had problems with them ?

Ken

yeah that makes sense to me. Landlord has got back to me and said it's the first he's heard of it. Surprising since the house was renovated in 2010. He's going to call around to "check the pipes" next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Landlord has got back to me and said it's the first he's heard of it.
    Pay no heed, that's a standard response. If there are consequences to this, he could be found negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

so it is coming from a spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ken

That is news to me. Washing machines are not meant to be connected to mains according to Irish building regs. I don't know why they would need any pressure at all. They fill then use the water no need for pressure.

He's going to call around to "check the pipes" next week.
    Is he a plumber? If he isn't, this is just stalling.

No Pants wrote: »
    Is he a plumber? If he isn't, this is just stalling.
    Why? I am not a plumber and I can do plumbing. It isn't exactly difficult to re-plumb a tap to the mains. Maybe take 20 minutes if you are slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Attic water tanks are liable to contamination from vermin such as mice rats and pigeons. if there is pigeons droppings in the water it is a serious health risk.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is news to me. Washing machines are not meant to be connected to mains according to Irish building regs. I don't know why they would need any pressure at all. They fill then use the water no need for pressure.

If you have a link to those regs I'm sure it would help the OP. As these appliances tend to be in the kitchen, where the only cold water supply is direct off the mains, this is normally what they are connected to.

Installation instructions for washing machines state they need to be connected to a mains supply or a supply with a certain pressure range.

Ken

It depends on the washing machine.
    My Indesit- insists on mains connection for cold connection, and states not to connect the hot connector, unless you have a pressure booster bringing the pressure up to between 25-30 psi (2 bar roughly).

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Attic water tanks are liable to contamination from vermin such as mice rats and pigeons. if there is pigeons droppings in the water it is a serious health risk.

Most modern houses are not liable to these sorts of contaminants. A far bigger issue would be sludge buildup from dust- but even this would take years to accumulate before it was an issue that required action.

If you have a link to those regs I'm sure it would help the OP. As these appliances tend to be in the kitchen, where the only cold water supply is direct off the mains, this is normally what they are connected to.

Installation instructions for washing machines state they need to be connected to a mains supply or a supply with a certain pressure range.

Ken

That is normally why both mains and tank feeds are in your kitchen. The hot water tap has to basically come from the same route as it is fed by the tank. The pressure from a tank in your attic is very rarely not enough pressure. After that you probably have a pump to increase the pressure from the water tank like in an apartment.

Building regs remain easily searchable on Google. Washing machines manufactures do not change our building regs. It is very normal for a lazy plumber to do what is convenient still won't make it right. This is probably why the sink has been plumbed to the tank rather than the mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 M_C_L

OP

whatever you got diluted here while reading, I just recommend if you ask your landlord to come down, turn the kitchen tap, bring him to the attic and say: ''it isn't right, can you fix it?'' then say: ''all what you need to do is to close the main valve, cut the mains pipe close the the cold water tank in the attic. Drain the cold water tank, insert ''T'' sort of the connector 1/2'' X 1/2'' x 1/2''. Disconnect the pipe which runs to the kitchen tap at the tank, connect this pipe to the earlier installed ''T'', secure the unattended pipe from cold water tank with the Cap. Job done. you will have a fresh drinking water from now on. 30min max.

That all assumes that the mains water runs by the kitchen sink. I'd put my money on it not being there. If the plumber was that lazy then why would he have run the cold mains to the attic and then run 2 more pipes back down making 3 pipes ? My guess is that the cold mains isn't running that way since the renovations.

With regard the building regs, the practice of plumbers connecting appliances to the mains water system was a matter for concern back in 1992 !! The 2008 regs concur, so who knew !!

I've always connected my appliances to the mains, mostly because that was the most convenient supply. Either way it would seem the LL got the job done on the cheap or did it himself even !!

Ken

That is normally why both mains and tank feeds are in your kitchen.

Can't say I've actually seen a house that has that, though. Not that I go rooting under the sink in other people's houses that often but all I've lived in have fed any white goods in the kitchen off mains. That said, the one built in 2005 was the worst condition house I'd ever lived in, including the pre-famine on in that comparison; so compliance with the building regs was clearly not that builders main concern!

Why? I am not a plumber and I can do plumbing. It isn't exactly difficult to re-plumb a tap to the mains. Maybe take 20 minutes if you are slow.
    That's great if it's a straightforward job. It may not be though and perhaps that's why it is set up the way it is right now.

That all assumes that the mains water runs by the kitchen sink. I'd put my money on it not being there. If the plumber was that lazy then why would he have run the cold mains to the attic and then run 2 more pipes back down making 3 pipes ? My guess is that the cold mains isn't running that way since the renovations.

With regard the building regs, the practice of plumbers connecting appliances to the mains water system was a matter for concern back in [! The 2008 regs concur, so who knew !!

I've always connected my appliances to the mains, mostly because that was the most convenient supply. Either way it would seem the LL got the job done on the cheap or did it himself even !!

Ken

So do you think not having mains supply would cause issues with the washing machine/dishwasher? Our dishwasher has had problems with a smell coming from the water intake.

We do have a mains tap in the alley outside the kitchen window so not sure what that means. M_C_L, I'll pass on what you said about fixing the supply, it makes sense to me.

Thanks for all the replies, will keep updating after landlord visit.

So do you think not having mains supply would cause issues with the washing machine/dishwasher? Our dishwasher has had problems with a smell coming from the water intake.

We do have a mains tap in the alley outside the kitchen window so not sure what that means. M_C_L, I'll pass on what you said about fixing the supply, it makes sense to me.

Thanks for all the replies, will keep updating after landlord visit.

If the water intake is also connected to the cold water tank, then this is the answer to the smell. Mains would give access to fresh water.

No Pants wrote: »
    That's great if it's a straightforward job. It may not be though and perhaps that's why it is set up the way it is right now.

It can't be anything but straight forward. The water tank is fed by the mains. The water to the tap comes from the tank. You just connect the mains to the tap feed while keeping the tank feeding the tank. It is very straight forward and can't be difficult. It is as it is out of laziness most likely after that just a mistake.

M_C_L wrote: »
    If the water intake is also connected to the cold water tank, then this is the answer to the smell. Mains would give access to fresh water.
    If the water in your tank smells that is a problem. The water in your bathroom comes from that tank. The water most people brush their teeth with. :eek:
    The water from a tank is pretty fresh as the water changes in most houses on a daily basis. If the water from it smells I would go look in the tank and make sure nothing is in it.

If the water in your tank smells that is a problem. The water in your bathroom comes from that tank. The water most people brush their teeth with. :eek:
    The water from a tank is pretty fresh as the water changes in most houses on a daily basis. If the water from it smells I would go look in the tank and make sure nothing is in it.

yep, in most houses yes, but imagine large uncovered tank with one or two living in the house. Water in the attic gets easily contaminated, plus grown bacterias on the inner walls of the tank, perhaps only once a week or so this gets to washing machine, washing machine partially heats already not so fresh water, just my thesis. :) - I am most likely wrong

• Advertisement

Here's a kind of related scenario.

I buy a washing machine which requires connection to the main water supply of a premises as stated by the manufacturer in the documentation.

The machine is connected in accordance with Irish Building Regs to the attic tank.

The machine subsequently gives problems and the manufacturer or store send out an engineer to check it only to find it's not connected in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.

Who reimburses the customer in these circumstances if the shop refuses to entertain me ? I have, after all, not complied with the manufacturers fitting instructions.

More a thought provoker than a question but your opinions would be interesting.

Ken

Advertisement