Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking water supply. Rented House

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ZENER wrote: »

Who reimburses the customer in these circumstances if the shop refuses to entertain me ? I have, after all, not complied with the manufacturers fitting instructions.

More a thought provoker than a question but your opinions would be interesting.

Ken

Interesting point, I suppose in an ideal world if the Irish Building Regs state that it should be connected to the attic tank it should not be legal for any shop in the country to sell a washing machine which advises otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 M_C_L

Interesting point, I suppose in an ideal world if the Irish Building Regs state that it should be connected to the attic tank it should not be legal for any shop in the country to sell a washing machine which advises otherwise.

This is backward thinking. The regs should be amended - to allow people to wash their clothes with clean water from the mains. All EU goes in this direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

M_C_L wrote: »
    This is backward thinking. The regs should be amended - to allow people to wash their clothes with clean water from the mains. All EU goes in this direction.
    If the water in your tank is not clean you have a problem and you should deal with it. All EU does not go in this direction. There is a valid reason for this to do make sure houses don't draw water unnecessarily.

If your tank is not covered buy a cover, it is in the regs to cover the tank.

The obsession with mains being some what amazingly cleaner than the tank is a little odd. Where do you think your hot water comes from? You know the stuff you clean yourself with? A hot feed washing machine comes from the tank via the boiler. The inside o a boiler is not that clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

Bats and rats and cats could easily find their way into attic header tanks and take a snooze. I once saw over 100 bats taking a snooze in the bottom of the attic tanks of an old house.

Someone in another house that had dead bats in their attic tank, noticed once when they opened their kitchen sink cold tap, a bat wing came poking out of the tap.

Around 95% of attic tanks that were fitted during the Celtic Tiger were installed without their matching lids to save €20 or so and boost the builders profits to save time and money, and probably not noticed by the house buyer paying top dollar.

So a tank fed water line to an otherwise potable kitchen sink cold tap sure could go unnoticed until spotted by a sharp eyed bod.

Often it is old rain tank attic fed cold water storage tanks with old style electric level switches that have gravity fed kitchen cold taps.

To convert these, ye need to remove the old level switch, fit a ball cock or float valve to the attic tank, and upgrade the pump with a pressure vessel (60L) and pressure switch. Then tee off a pipe from the outgoing pipe of the new pump arrangement to the cold kitchen sink tap.

And put a lid on the attic tank ! (scraping out any dead rats !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The real question is : how on earth did the neighbour even know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

The neighbour was a plumber and noticed the low gravity pressure (typically 5 - 10 psi) instead of the usual stronger mains water pressure 40 to 60 psi.

Advertisement