Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mon - Fri Commute Drogheda to Dublin

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Was just wondering if anyone here is based in Drogheda and does the daily commute to Dublin to work? Would contemplate buying in Drogheda but just not sure if I am cut off for the long commute there and back each day. Any advise? What would be the average train time to the city center say? And on a tax saver annual ticket what would be the average price?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Nearly everyone in drogheda commutes to dublin to work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

leonards wrote: »
    Nearly everyone in drogheda commutes to dublin to work ;)

Ha ha I had an idea a fair few do alright, just looking to see how they get on with the travel etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Here are a few pointers for you...

There are 2 types of trains available - the regular commuter train which takes an hour to reach Connolly Station, and the Enterprise express which takes about 35 minutes. There are several commuter trains, starting just after 6am, and 2 express trains (7.20-ish and 8.20). I've taken the 8.20 express a couple of times in recent weeks, and all I'll say is be prepared for a squashed standing journey! My experience of the 5pm-6pm trains from Dublin was an equally squashed standing journey for most of the trip home.

While an hour doesn't sound too bad for the commuter trains, remember it's each way, plus the time spent getting to/from the stations, waiting on platforms, etc etc, so you're really adding up to 3 hours commute to your working day.

The last time I checked the yearly train ticket (without taxsaver) it was about 1700 euro, think it's more now.

There are other options for travel - check out Matthews coach services or Bus Eireann. They are fairly reliable, but can of course get caught in traffic along the way.

I am writing with the rose-tinted glasses of not being a daily Drog-Dub commuter any more....I now head the other way, working in Dundalk!

gipi wrote: »
    Here are a few pointers for you...

There are 2 types of trains available - the regular commuter train which takes an hour to reach Connolly Station, and the Enterprise express which takes about 35 minutes. There are several commuter trains, starting just after 6am, and 2 express trains (7.20-ish and 8.20). I've taken the 8.20 express a couple of times in recent weeks, and all I'll say is be prepared for a squashed standing journey! My experience of the 5pm-6pm trains from Dublin was an equally squashed standing journey for most of the trip home.

While an hour doesn't sound too bad for the commuter trains, remember it's each way, plus the time spent getting to/from the stations, waiting on platforms, etc etc, so you're really adding up to 3 hours commute to your working day.

The last time I checked the yearly train ticket (without taxsaver) it was about 1700 euro, think it's more now.

There are other options for travel - check out Matthews coach services or Bus Eireann. They are fairly reliable, but can of course get caught in traffic along the way.

I am writing with the rose-tinted glasses of not being a daily Drog-Dub commuter any more....I now head the other way, working in Dundalk!

Great thanks for the info! Yep would be a bit of time burner alright all things considered, just something I have to weigh up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

i have been doing the drogheda - dublin train commute for the last couple of weeks as I am based in the city centre for a project at the moment.

It is nothing short of painful if I am totally honest.

I leave my house at 7am and get to my desk for about 8:45 .. that is 10mins to the train station, guts of an hour on the train, and then the walk through town from connelly.

The way home is just as long, except after walking to the station you'll end up standing on a packed commuter train for the majority of the journey to drogheda.

that is about 3 and half hours a day commuting; normally I work at the far end of the M50 and can be in walkinstown in under an hour door to door.

I just could not fathom doing this train commute any long .. thankfully the project will be ending fairly soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I do a similar journey in reverse! It takes 1 hour per day, I drive and when I think at the end of the week that I've wasted 10 hours driving it is quite shocking but I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭positron

I did the Drogheda-Dublin train commute for FIVE years! I live in Wheaton Hall and my work was within 15 mins of Connolly station (less on fantastic DublinBike), and I almost always went for the Enterprise service - which is not only quick, is also much classier, cleaner and comfortable compared to the shaky noise buckets that the Commuter trains are. Trains are great - you are comfortable, you can read, work, watch a movie etc - or sleep. Yet, after five years of the daily grind of 2 hours + of commute, and having to let the train timetable dictate your life slowly started getting to me.

Back then trains were more predictable than buses. However since M1 widening work has finished I know quiet a few people who prefer Matthews Coaches to trains.

I now motorbike to Dublin - Wheaton Hall to same office location takes less than 40 mins door to door. Free off-street parking, filter past traffic jams etc. It has many pluses and a lot minuses, but for the time being I love it. Its not something everyone could do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I have been doing it for about 10 years now. Its improved vastly over the last five years. Its about 90 minutes door to door each way. It can be tough alright but atleast that's 3 hours that I have to myself.

The good thing getting a train in the morning from Drogheda is that except the 8.20 you'll get a seat. The evening trains, with the exception of the 5.30 and the 6ish one, I don't consider get too packed and most trains tend to clear out at malahide and usually everyone has a seat by Skerries so your standing for half an hour or so.

They are also very reliable, but being on a train line If something goes wrong it can result in delays, most around 20 minutes, but there can be reallylong dealays but they're usually due to a bridge strike or suicide, which is probably out of IR's power to avoid. But its not often it happens

Ye 1700 on tax saver is about right which is around 50% saving. Still expensive though.

But the bus option is liked by people who use it too

Thanks for the feedback all!

Advertisement