Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get caught stealing chips - Win €8000 !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Because the value of something like a handful of chips isn't comparable to a taxed and dutied pre-priced product like fags or booze. Similarly someone nibbling on chips isn't comparable to stealing a saleable or valuable product really.

There is also health and safety thrown into the mix too. Eating behind a food counter is a big no no. It is in the UK anyhow and I would think their standards are pretty similar to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

FTA69 wrote: »
    Minor procedural error my arse. They illegally erected spy cameras and blatantly failed to follow a pretty standard dismissal procedure. They're a big company with millions of pounds worth of HR staff, lawyers etc who should be up on this sort of thing. Instead you probably had some dry-arse of a manager on a power trip who felt employment law didn't apply to them. You're making it out as if there wasn't an "I" dotted or "t" crossed.

They broke the law pretty clearly and blatantly and they paid the price. Tough sh*t for them.
    Yep and dunnes should pursue this woman through the courts for theft. She broke the law too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

jimgoose wrote: »
    Put in a sack and then thrun in a ditch. Obviously! :D

A big sack, if you were 'at the chips like a combine harvester'! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hope all those on their high horses have never stolen a pen, been on the internet for personal use (stealing your employers time), used the company phone for personal calls, taken longer on breaks etc.

It's a few chips.

Secretly monitoring staff is such a big no no. If they were that interested to know what the staff were up to, they should have told them.

If I was caught I'd put my hands up and accept the consequences for my actions.

Not go running to the EAT. (No pun intended).

It may have been 'a few chips' as you put it. Add that other food that the thief also admitted to stealing and the fact that she worked there for four years and it all adds up.

Who do you think ends up paying in the long term?

I don't believe in claiming compensation for my own dishonesty.

As for the presence of cameras. Get over it. We are being watch almost everywhere now. If you don't break the law, you've nothing to fear or hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

LynnGrace wrote: »
    A big sack, if you were 'at the chips like a combine harvester'! :D

Jaws of the Tiger. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I was in a deli the other day, you put the wedges in the box yourself and they weigh it at the till.

€8 for what I thought was about €3 worth of wedges. She probably owes them millions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Employment law, where the employer is guilty until proven innocent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Lapin wrote: »
    As for the presence of cameras. Get over it. We are being watch almost everywhere now. If you don't break the law, you've nothing to fear or hide.

As for taking a few chips, get over it.

If Dunnes didn't break the law, they would have nothing to fear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I, For one, Welcome our new chip eating overlords....

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Sure Dunnes hadn't a chance of winning this, they are called EAT (Employment Appeals Tribunal) after all. Eat what ya like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yep and dunnes should pursue this woman through the courts for theft. She broke the law too.

Why is it so important to you that a low-paid woman who ate a few chips be dragged through the courts by one of the wealthiest companies in Ireland?

Typical nonsense we often see in Ireland, people siding with the powerful.

Valetta wrote: »
    As for taking a few chips, get over it.

If Dunnes didn't break the law, they would have nothing to fear.

How much 'a few chips' goujons and whatever other food that the thief admitted to stealing?

Say it ammounted to €4 a day.

That's €20 a week.

€1000 a year.

Or €4000 over the four years she was employed there.

If the other eight employees dismissed for the same thing over the same period that is a potential €36,000 lost in one branch alone.

But that's ok because it's just 'a few chips'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why is it so important to you that a low-paid woman who ate a few chips be dragged through the courts by one of the wealthiest companies in Ireland?

Why is it so important to you that people be allowed steal from their employers? Her wage and what she stole is irrelevant.

Typical nonsense is thinking that we don't end up paying more for our goods and services as a result of the theft.

• Advertisement

How much 'a few chips' goujons and whatever other food that the thief admitted to stealing?

That's €20 a week.

€1000 a year.

If the other eight employees dismissed for the same thing over the same period that is a potential €36,000 lost in one branch alone.

I was conflating your "get over it" comment about one party breaking the law, whilst advocating that the other party should be prosecuted for breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Typical nonsense is thinking that we don't end up paying more for our goods and services as a result of the theft.

And now we will pay even more as a result of Dunnes flouting the law.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    She's probably a hard working woman who just nibbled a chip or 2. Get off your high horses lads will ye FFS..

Seeing as we're guessing, I'll put it forward that she was a lazy cow that stood around talking to her mates all day that they were watching for ages to find an excuse to get rid of.

She didn't just nibble a chip or too, why do you feel the need to play it down if the truth is so trivial?9 people didn't get sacked because she "nibbled a chip or two"

So by people's logic here on boards a plumber who takes a few fittings home with him or a carpenter who takes a few nails home with him should be arrested and locked up for theft. She's probably a hard working woman who just nibbled a chip or 2. Get off your high horses lads will ye FFS..

If you were paying 2 or 3 quid each for the couple of fittings the plumber took home every day I doubt youd feel the same. A couple of grands worth of fittings a year isn't a small amount. Maybe a small company working of tight margins should just suck it up and accept that employees steal, sure that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Actually typical nonsense would be assuming that you're simply paying the value of the food you're being served, and not covering the costs of the percentage of food chucked in the bin at the end of the day, all in the name of convenience.

Nobody claimed that the woman got off scot free while the big corporation got held bang to rights. The employee admitted eating food, the EAT stated that "it acknowledges the seriousness of the issue and the fact that the claimant admitted taking and eating the food". She lost her job over this, and was also deemed two-thirds responsible for her dismissal, otherwise she'd have been awarded more.

Dunnes were fined for not following correct disciplinary procedure, and for settign up CCTV to montor employee conduct without informing the employeess of the purpose of said cameras - it couldn't be put any clearer in the data protection act if they tried:
    If the identity of the data controller and the usual purpose for processing - security - is obvious, all that need be placed on the sign is a statement that CCTV is in operation as well as a contact (such as a phone number) for persons wishing to discuss this processing. This contact can be for either the security company operating the cameras or the owner of the premises.
    If the purpose or purposes is not obvious, there is a duty on the data controller to make this clear. A CCTV camera in a premises is often assumed to be used for security purposes. Use for monitoring staff performance or conduct is not an obvious purpose and staff must be informed before any data are recorded for this purpose. Similarly, if the purpose of CCTV is also for health and safety reasons, this should be clearly stated and made known.

I'm not even sure why this is an issue to be honest. Everyone jumping up and down labeling her a scumbag is protected by the same rights, and would be shouting out loud themselves if they were chucked out of their jobs tomorrow morning without due procedure being followed.

mike_ie wrote: »

I'm not even sure why this is an issue to be honest. Everyone jumping up and down labeling her a scumbag is protected by the same rights, and would be shouting out loud themselves if they were chucked out of their jobs tomorrow morning without due procedure being followed.

I woildn't give them a reason to chuck me out of my job by stealing from them in the first place.

Didn't call her a scumbag either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Procedures exist for a purpose. We can't complain about only one element of society breaking the law, it applies to all.
    The problem of course is that the message this case sends is that you can't actually take steps to catch crime without warning everyone of the exact steps you are taking to catch crime. Which means the law should be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

So by people's logic here on boards a plumber who takes a few fittings home with him or a carpenter who takes a few nails home with him should be arrested and locked up for theft. She's probably a hard working woman who just nibbled a chip or 2. Get off your high horses lads will ye FFS..

There was so much theft going on that cameras were installed. That's hardly a nibble on a chip or 2. It must have been a big problem over a long period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Because theft like this impacts us all. Retailers have to factor it into the prices that you pay at the till. Insurers factor it in to the premiums we pay. You are really trying to defend the indefensible in your quest to justify the theft becuase it's against a "corperation, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

What else is it ok to steal? Some socks? a few pairs of traksuit bottoms? cigarettes?

Have you ever run a red light? Does that make you a scumbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

mike_ie wrote: »

Nobody claimed that the woman got off scot free while the big corporation got held bang to rights. The employee admitted eating food, the EAT stated that "it acknowledges the seriousness of the issue and the fact that the claimant admitted taking and eating the food". She lost her job over this, and was also deemed two-thirds responsible for her dismissal, otherwise she'd have been awarded more.

Dunnes were fined for not following correct disciplinary procedure, and for settign up CCTV to montor employee conduct without informing the employeess of the purpose of said cameras - it couldn't be put any clearer in the data protection act if they tried.
    This really should be the end of the thread.

And chicken goujons and other food according to the article, it all adds up.
    Deli food is not cheap, lets say if she was consuming €4 of food per day over a year that would not long be adding up.

Just like office people "steal" from their employers all the time.

I hope everyone replying calling her is a scumbag is unemployed/self employed. Browsing boards/facebook/personal emails is "stealing" your employers time you know.
    There was so much theft going on that cameras were installed. That's hardly a nibble on a chip or 2. It must have been a big problem over a long period

I take it you've never worked for an over zealous employer before? I would doubt that it was such a huge problem that proper procedure couldn't have been followed and if it was such a huge problem, proper procedure SHOULD definitely have been followed.

Any word on the person who signed off on spying on the staff getting the sack?

Is there a bigger red light that I would be called a scumbag for running?

The crux of this is that its apparently ok to steal from your employer as long as its cheap stuff, even if you steal thousands worth over a long time, but stealing one item valued at a tenner is not the same and wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What exactly is a scumbag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

That's €20 a week.

€1000 a year.

You are absolutely dead right. Attached is the first link that i found on the cost of shoplifting in Ireland and present.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/shoplifting-soars-as-2m-a-day-stolen-over-christmas-isme-warns-system-a-joke-29973482.html

also here is a europe wide one from the centre for retail research

http://www.retailresearch.org/grtb_currentsurvey.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That's €20 a week.

€1000 a year.

Then the shop up their prices for the loss and the customer ends up paying the tab.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Then the shop up their prices for the loss and the customer ends up paying the tab.

Exactly.

It might be just 'a few chips' in some people's minds but they're not free.

When someone steals them, the rest of us end up paying for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When someone steals them, the rest of us end up paying for them.

And when Dunnes break the law by installing cameras like this and have to fork out a fine, the rest of us end up paying for it.

Where's the outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Lol at people dramatically calling her "the thief".
    Seriously, people surely must live very sheltered lives if the girl manning the deli counter taking a few chips and goujons is being described as a "scumbag"!

I work in a restaurant, and I find this funny because my manager (the owner) is always trying to feed me! Constantly trying to get me to take food home with me, and try stuff in the kitchen. The chefs are the same, always pushing food lol.

I thought most food places would be like this? I know in my case, I work in a restaurant, so maybe there's a different vibe, but most of my friends who work part-time in cafés, etc, are the same. There is no problem with them taking food while they are working or over their break.

Verrrry mean spirited people :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd hardly say that a low-paid woman eating a few chicken goujons while working for a massively profitable company is a "scumbag" either. It's not as if she was taking a machete to newborn kittens.

Where do you think the chicken goujouns come from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Delighted, Dunnes are bottom of the barrel when its comes to respect for employees.

osarusan wrote: »
    And when Dunnes break the law by installing cameras like this and have to fork out a fine, the rest of us end up paying for it.

Where's the outrage?

No need for outrage.

Dunne's actions ultimately saved them (and in turn their customers) money in the long term.

Without the cameras the staff would still be munching their way through thousands of euro worth of chips every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can see why the shop wanted to install the cameras in secret. If they went down the legal route they would be telling the staff they know they're stealing and now they're monitoring, but I'm sure most people know a camera isn't going to be monitored and is usually used retrospectively. Even with cameras in place I'm sure the management felt that unless someone is watching the employees (another employee that may not rat out his colleagues) the employees can continue stealing and just be more sneaky about it.

By doing it in secret they can spend one evening catching the employees that are stealing. I'm sure they wanted to get rid of the staff that were stealing rather than just warn them that management knows it's happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm a scum bag so , I worked in the deli in dunnes and eat food , hell one night we got a frozen pizza from freezers on shop floor and cooked it in cuisine de France ovens, I got a lad on floor to get me a can of coke as well .

I went in back many times to catch deli manager tucking into chicken nuggets and wedges . It was rife at that time .

The textiles store manager was caught leaving one day with a load of stuff he said was going to a charity auction . O that was ok then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Great idea for a Tayto competition, sending that in!

*must include CCTV tape*

I'm a scum bag so , I worked in the deli in dunnes and eat food , hell one night we got a frozen pizza from freezers on shop floor and cooked it in cuisine de France ovens, I got a lad on floor to get me a can of coke as well .

I went in back many times to catch deli manager tucking into chicken nuggets and wedges . It was rife at that time .

The textiles store manager was caught leaving one day with a load of stuff he said was going to a charity auction . O that was ok then .

If you worked in currys would stealing earphones be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

The tribunal stated that the sacked employee was 2/3 responsible for her own dismissal.
    Dunnes were ordered to compensate her for not following correct disciplinary procedures.
    It happens all the time in the E.A.T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Why was she snacking on the job? Was she not getting a sufficient break during the working day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they should have just installed the cameras, notified the deli staff of a complaint and reminded them that all food had to be paid for and was theft otherwise, simple...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No need for outrage.

Dunne's actions ultimately saved them (and in turn their customers) money in the long term.

Who's going to pay the 8 grand compensation? I'd agree with you if they didn't **** up the termination process. That'll cost the customer more than anything the employee likely cost them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I used to work in hotels. It was tough work but the staff were treated good. If you worked the day shift you were entitled to breakfast and lunch. If you worked the evening shift you were entitled to lunch and dinner. You lived in the staff accommodation you were entitled to breakfast, lunch and dinner. These meals were at set times and we didn't go about snacking in between and on duty. I was working the accommodation area of the hotel as in servicing rooms. Maybe it was different for the kitchen staff as regards to snacking on foods in between meals. I suppose it was a perk of the job and a good one too because people were fed well.

Do supermarkets not give such perks to their employees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Many years ago I used to work for a large retail chain similar to Dunnes Stores.

When we did our induction, we were told that if we took anything, there was a zero tolerance policy towards theft and that you would be subject to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. They really stressed this point. We were even told that if we take something out of the rubbish bin, we could be dismissed.

A few weeks later, a guy grabbed a handful of grapes as he was walking past a pallet of them, stuffed them in his mouth, got caught and wound up getting sacked because of it.

The company followed all the correct procedures and did things the way they were supposed to.

No sympathy for him to be honest. Some people thought that it was a bit harsh to be sacked for a few grapes but the point was made very clear to us all - steal and you will be in trouble. We were all warned.

Staff weren't too inclined to graze after that.

There must have been widespread pilfering going on in Dunnes for them to sack 9 people.

The way they should have done it was to warn all staff that snacking isn't allowed and that anybody caught snacking would be dismissed. Then, be true to their word and dismiss the first person that they caught nibbling the products. That would bring the other eight people into line.

Dunnes deserve special mention for being stupid enough not to follow the correct procedures for dismissing staff or for not knowing the law regarding cameras. Every idiot and their brother knows that there are well laid out ways of doing this type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I used to work in hotels. It was tough work but the staff were treated good.

You were lucky because hotels are known for being one of the most exploitative work environments in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You were lucky because hotels are known for being one of the most exploitative work environments in the country.

We always got well fed when working in hotels. All staff got free soup and sandwiches. There were certain dinners available to staff too. We didn't get a huge choice, but we got a free dinner all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement