Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go in USA?

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi all. I am planning a trip to the states for 2-3 weeks end of May early June, but I don't know what states to visit. I was in New York last November and fell in love it. I would love to go back again even just for a few days. I was thinking of going to either Washington and/or Boston as well as they are near enough to each other but would prefer going to the east coast to see the Grand Canyon or LA. I am completely open and want to make the most of my time while I am there. I would like to hear recommendations on where to go for anyone who has been around the states. I will also be travelling alone. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

If you go anywhere near the south-west, you simply must go to Monument Valley. Easily, the most impressive place in the United States especially if you are interested in such places.

Washington D.C. is a concrete jungle filled with suits and concrete. However, if you like museums and monuments, then it is probably the best city to visit. The Smithsonian Air and Space museum is excellent.

L.A. is a large sprawling, endless, brown mess. It looks dirty, feels dirty, and really is quite vacuous. I would recommend San Francisco over it any day, but SF can be quite run down in areas and there are quite a few homeless there.

If you want to see the beautiful Pacific Ocean and the west coast of America, go to Monterey (south of San Francisco) and enjoy the beaches and coastline there. Very, very beautiful. Then head east to Sequoia National Park to see the Giant Redwoods! Then go a little further east and you are in Las Vegas. Las Vegas would be a two day stop, as it looks best at night and during the day it is quite...boring. East again and you are at the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon is good, but I really do rate Monument Valley much higher. Watch the sunrise over Monument Valley, you won't ever forget it.

Sunrise-Navajo-Nation-Monument-Valley.jpg

In summary, spend a weekend in D.C., then go to San Francisco. Rent a car for 2 weeks, head south a little, then keep going east. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

2 years ago i spent 3 weeks in US. I flew to San Francisco stayed there for 3 days then flew to Maui for 5 days. Back to SF and then drove for next 2 weeks SF - LA - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - LA. Visited many, many places. Malibu, Santa Monica, Hoover Dam, Route 66, Joshua Tree National Park and many more. Great road trip.

5533297942_b97b0ba7ee_b.jpg 5532713925_c53e09d390_b.jpg 5337863797_c66dca57e6_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Malibu. Definitely go to Malibu.

Or Orlando

anishboi wrote: »
    Malibu. Definitely go to Malibu.

Or Orlando

Malibu is a must visit place!

Orlando is ok but if you will choose Florida then Everglades swamp, Miami and Key West is a must also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

My recommendation is to do a mix of city and nature/scenery.

San Fran is wonderful. I've been twice and loved it both times. Vegas is great fun for a few days and a great kicking off point to the Grand Canyon national park. To get the proper grand canyon experience, you need to go past Tusayan in Arizona into the South tip of the national park. There are a few hotels there (El Tovar is one we stayed in) and an overnight stay is a must, it only to see the sun rise over the canyon. You can walk the trail into the canyon. It is an exhausting trail especially on the way back up, but so worth it.

We also did Yosemite National park for 4 nights. One of the most breathtaking paces I've ever been. The accommodation is a rip off, but if you look past the cost, it is an experience of a life time. You can trek to the top of Yosemite Falls and have fantastic views all over the valley.

I've been to LA, too and as many say here it is very sprawled etc, but if you are a movie buff, it's a great place to visit, even for the Warner Studios tour and Universal Studios etc. I actually found the people of LA extremely friendly, which is not what I expected. There are a lot of dodgy run down parts, but you stay clear of them if you want. We stayed in Hollywood, near the Dolby Theatre and found it perfect. You can stay in different parts, but there will be quite a lot of travel involved regardless. Some people stay in Santa Monica, which is lovely, but a bit out of the city.

Boston is fantastic too. Really friendly and lovely food and restaurants, serving great seafood. Quincy Market is great and buzzing with all types of culinary delights. Plenty of places in the greater area to visit too, such as Hyannis and Martha's vineyard etc a few hours away. Depending on the time of the year, they do whale watching tours there also.

If you fancy a beach/sun type break also, Florida is great and in particular, Key West is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Firstly I think you need to look at a map of the United States. You don't mention whether you will be hiring a car or taking domestic flights, you should also look at booking an Open Jaw ticket - into one city home from another. you mention Boston and Washington DC as being near to each other - they're about 500 miles apart with a driving time of no less than 7 hours.

I would avoid Florida in summer due to the high humidity - can't comment on LA but I do know it's on the West Coast - not east :)

Boston is a great city , I also like Philadelphia and as others have mentioned DC - if you like museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Highway 1 California Road trip is a classic.
    If you choose that option make sure to hit Yosemite National Park.
    It's about a 4 hour drive from SF and is absolutely stunningly beautiful.

Yosemite_Valley_from_Wawona_Tunnel_view_vista_point..jpg

Boston is a great city , I also like Philadelphia and as others have mentioned DC - if you like museums.

Boston is great. Few years ago also i went Dubin - Washington and then with bus (http://us.megabus.com/) to Philadelphia, NY and Boston. 4 cities in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

if you go to the west coast then san francisco is great. it has the same big city feel as new york but much more down to earth and far more scenic. a few hours drive outside san fran is one of americas great national parks in yosemite and late may/early june is best time to visit when rivers and waterfalls are full volume.

aer lingus now fly direct to sfo too and you can easily combine a trip in san fran with a few days in vegas (grand canyon). vegas is about an hour flight away and easily accessible via budget carrier southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Thank you for all your suggestions! I would love a mix of both a city and to see some nature sites as well like monument valley that looks amazing! I have so much planning to do ha! ANyone else heading over to the states this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

USA is too big to just say "where should i go"

You have to do some research, find an area then ask more about that area

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

definately Boston.... great city and so easy to navigate around....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

An important question is if you're going alone are you going to be renting a car and driving? Its pretty important for out West where public transport is bad/nonexistent.

LA, for instance is awful without a car. San Fransisco is about the best city for walking on the west coast but only because its so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm a huge fan of Trains in the USA. If you've never done an multi night trip on a train with your own cabin its really fun.

We've done Chicago to Seattle twice (a GF with a fear of flying) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, it takes a route that you would never drive too. The trains are really well run, clean and well attended. There's a big glass roofed observation car, The restaurant is good, If you have a cabin meals are free too. They seat people "communally" so you get seated with strangers for meals. Not bad for meeting people.

Its 3 nights from Chicago to Seattle and then there's another train that goes down the coast from Seattle to LA.

http://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Chicago to LA on the Southwest Chief would also be one of the great US train routes. Multi segment trip would let you get on and off. Amtrack do rail passes.

www.amtrak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Vegas is brilliant - I love the place, been there 6 times.
    You should go to Washington, its a great city - easy to navigate and get around. There's loads of museums and monuments there, I have been in Washington twice and would go back again. I much preferred Washington to Boston.
    On the East side, San Francisco is a good place to spend a few days and then onto Vegas.
    Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tdoyle

California all the way. San Francisco and then a road trip along the coast. Amazing scenery, lovely people, great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

8 segment rail pass = $449.

For the Southwest Chief you could do...

Chicago -> Kansas City
    KC --> Las Vegas, NM (Historic Old West town...very poor though)
    LV --> Santa Fe (Oldest city in the US)
    SF ---> Winslow (Stay at La Posada, restored Harvey Hotel and best restaurant in the Southwest)
    Winslow ---> Williams or Flagstaff (old west, and side rail trip to the Grand Canyon)
    Plus a three/four stop trip up the west coast.

Advertisement