Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport to shows

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    i was wondering if anyone near Naas would not mind when going to shows, giving us a lift (my horse) Of course i would pay for petrol cost.
    or does anyone knows someone who does this type of service at a reasonable price.

it would be mainly to do shows in coilog

i am not fussy and not expecting to do all shows. just if someone is going we could share the box together.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clio2009

near Naas, saggart, ballymore. etc.. along N7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Sinead @ Equiport does show transport.. works out good value if you have a friend who could go aswell.
    Clio2009 wrote: »
    near Naas, saggart, ballymore. etc.. along N7

i am aware of them and been in touch
    the issue is that i have no jeep so i could not rent a box only from them unfortunately.
    so i would really depend on someone driving the horses. hence why i was looking for someone who would have space in their box from time to time or someone doing it privately which would have reasonable price

and for transport i was quoted a lot for short distance
    the 3 companies i contacted quoted 150 euro and 200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

Unfortunately you are very unlikely to get a stranger to give you a lift. Once any money changes hands it changes the legal status, also that aside things can happen, horses won't get on, injuries in the box to your horse or drivers horse, damage to the box, car accident etc. It wouldn't be worth it for a bit of diesel money in my opinion. Personally I wouldn't do it for a stranger. I have given friends lifts when stuck but avoid if possible. I use my jeep a few times a year maximum to tow but still consider it worth having rather than a car to be independent. It is an expensive business keeping a jeep and box maintained so €150 - €200 an outing a few times a year is cheaper. If you are on a yard maybe some liveries can pool together and hire a lorry??? Sorry to throw cold water on your plans but I think it will be difficult for you.

HarrietD, you're grand i thought about that too that people might not be willing to. plus even with a bigger company the horse travels at the owner risk which means you need to have your insurance.
    i know they are a few people doing it as a little business on a side which might be cheaper than companies. so am looking to know if anyone knows of any.
    at the moment i am not doing all the shows, as i do not always get transport, which is fine, as i am not too pushed either. i do it for fun so no pressure. but it would be nice if i could find someone around who does transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you knew that you would be going to X number of shows, you could always try to haggle a little with a transporter and reduce the price a little for a set number of days.

that is a good idea didnt think of it. thank you. and i could also team up with someone in the area who also has no transport.so we could share cost of transport as it s the same price if 2 horses are in the lorry so that would be 75 each. hope i ll find someone on boards who is intetested in teaming up .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nichionc

There was a guy from Kildare posting a couple of ads on donedeal offering transport around mid February I think. If you scroll through ads as far back as that you could check him out...

thanks Nichionc
    still might look in finding someone who also does not have transport so we can share
    could be a good idea too
    could not find the one in Kildare, but found one in Dublin so i will contact him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Clio2009 wrote: »
    thanks Nichionc
    still might look in finding someone who also does not have transport so we can share
    could be a good idea too
    could not find the one in Kildare, but found one in Dublin so i will contact him

Are you in livery ?? Unless you move to somewhere who offer transport to coilog etc.

• Advertisement

i am in livery but changing yard is not an option
    it was hard enough to find a yard that would suit my horse and me and where horses are well taken care of. with proper turn out.
    so i would rather pay for transport than move yard.
    i am 100% happy in this yard and so is my horse. so shows are fun but if i cannot do them all it is fine too as his wellbeing comes first.
    i put an ad to look if someone wants to team up to hire transport. i am in no rush. hopefully i will find someone :)
    plus i am not stuck stuck, i get transport where near to the yard so i do some of the shows.
    but i guess the more you do the more you want to do :)

Advertisement