Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

geodesic wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what kind of ballpark cost are we talking about for the Sportstravel Interntional organized trip?

Ballpark €1800 for flights, entry, transfers and 5 nights in a single room (4 star). Bit less if you are prepared to share

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ballpark €1800 for flights, entry, transfers and 5 nights in a single room (4 star). Bit less if you are prepared to share

I was looking on Expedia as a few friends are coming along for the trip and flights & hotel were coming to ~€940 each from Shannon. Hotel is ~1.5 miles walk from where the buses collect for the trip to Hopkinton on race morning.

Seeing as I've already got an entry is there something else I should be budgeting for as that's a big saving over the tour price :confused:

opus wrote: »
    I was looking on Expedia as a few friends are coming along for the trip and flights & hotel were coming to ~€940 each from Shannon. Hotel is ~1.5 miles walk from where the buses collect for the trip to Hopkinton on race morning.

Seeing as I've already got an entry is there something else I should be budgeting for as that's a big saving over the tour price :confused:

Go for it if that's the case. Last year I couldn't find any hotels for less than €200 per night and flights were already about €700 return (mind you, I didn't start looking until November) :o

All booked today! My travelling companions have left me down so going on my own, still DrQ promised a guided tour of his home town :)

For anyone still searching I got a flight from Dublin for ~€500 and a Best Western hotel near the T in Quincy but they do a shuttle to the collection point on race morning in any case.

Good bit cheaper (~€600) than the tour package & I stay an extra night on the Tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Just booked my flights tonight, flying from Shannon and happy out as I got the flight for €514!

TbL

• Advertisement

Just starting looking at hotels and the prices are eye watering. Anyone got any recommendations?

Tnx.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Just starting looking at hotels and the prices are eye watering. Anyone got any recommendations?

Tnx.

TbL

I was about to ask you where we are staying ;)

Stayed here the last time for c. $500 per night.

http://www.ameshotel.com

I was about to ask you where we are staying ;)

Stayed here the last time for c. $500 per night.

http://www.ameshotel.com

Tnx Paulie,

have you booked flights?

I havent a clue about accomodation in Boston so if you've a place in mind let me know and I'll book it too. I promise I'll wear a t shirt :)

TbL

Just checked and that place is booked out.
    Have had a look at a few other options in a panic straight after.

Ideally want to be somewhere a stroll from Boston Common for the buses to the start in the morning.

Haven't booked flights yet - must get my act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Myself and the missus were on a budget last year (instead splashing out in cape cod afterwards) so stayed at 40 Berkeley - got a private room there. Very basic but super location, walking distance to the common and from finish line. free breakfast, clean, safe and full of runners. Hostelling International would be worth a shot too.

Keep an eye out for cancellations on the runners world forum Boston page too.

• Advertisement

Flights and hotel booked - woohoo :)

First email newsletter arrived today, make it all seem a bit more real now that it's less than 16 weeks away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Flights and hotel booked - woohoo :)

When ya flying P?

Are you all ready for "Night Flash"? :pac:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2015/01/08/adidas-unveils-official-boston-marathon-2015-collection-jackets-shirts/

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Flights done here too. #excited

blockic wrote: »

Over on Sat afternoon then returning on Tue night. Thinking about going to the baseball again on the Sunday for a few hours or else do that duck tour thing - maybe both.

You gotta get the jacket.

I see you're on the treadmill now - soft lad - at least you can create bigger hills on that than anywhere else in Chicago.

Edit: I see you got back outside ;) - good man

Over on Sat afternoon then returning on Tue night. Thinking about going to the baseball again on the Sunday for a few hours or else do that duck tour thing - maybe both.

You gotta get the jacket.

I see you're on the treadmill now - soft lad - at least you can create bigger hills on that than anywhere else in Chicago.

Edit: I see you got back outside ;) - good man

Baseball might be a good one on the Sunday, sitting down for 3 hours instead of foolishly walking around.

I'm coming around to the jacket the more i see of it. Colour was questionable at first.

Ah ya, get outside when at all possible, but I now realise training for a spring marathon in Ireland is bliss compared to what i have here, it will be difficult to get all the miles that I want in but sure it will hopefully make the result all the sweeter!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

blockic wrote: »
    I'm coming around to the jacket the more i see of it. Colour was questionable at first.!

You have to get the jacket regardless of the colour! You will love it.

Are people's general plans a Saturday - Tuesday trip?

Have to get my flights booked this week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I have a Friday Morning Flight from Shannon returning Tueday Evening from Boston.

ger664 wrote: »
    I have a Friday Morning Flight from Shannon returning Tueday Evening from Boston.

Think I'm on those flights too.

• Advertisement

I'm travelling from Dublin on Fri 17th & then back again on Wed 22nd. Wanted to get a chance to soak up some of the atmosphere of the place as much as possible for the week after.

So getting a jacket is mandatory then?

What is this jacket you speak of??

ger664 wrote: »

I'll see you on it Ger, have you booked auld lad "special assistance" for the way back ;)

TbL

Oryx wrote: »
    What is this jacket you speak of??

They bring out a special edition jacket each year which has a different colour. Here are a selection of them

https://www.google.ie/search?q=boston+marathon+jacket&biw=1366&bih=655&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fH-9VN6CFOT4ywP-g4HQDQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ

And in answer to Opus's question; yeah you kind of have to buy one. If you wait until the day after the marathon though they are generally on sale.

This is the 2015 one: adidas-offical.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Elite field for men's and women's races announced today. The men's field is like a 'where are they now?' of the top guys from 2011 and 2012:
    http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2015/january/john-hancock-financial-announces-2015-boston-marathon-international-elite-field.aspx

Sorry meno, but that is a fugly jacket.

Haha, it sure is; but once you get there I guarantee you'll buy one!!

I wasn't too taken on last year's at first either, but it ended up growing on me

myNWTkIL73gFz5WKBLDyieQ.jpg

If you're strolling around Boston on Sunday without a jacket on you'll stand out like a sore thumb!

Think I'd be of a similar option, the orange one looks more appealing tbh.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Think I'd be of a similar option, the orange one looks more appealing tbh.

I was of the same opinion initially too but it is growing on me! Looks a bit better here..

http://www.adidas.com/us/boston_marathon

2015 is my year so thisis my got damn jacket, regardless of how bad it looks! :pac:

Just came across this on my computer so said I'd share it. It was posted on the Boston thread in previous years.

335847.jpg

Advertisement