Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

When you get to our age Murph there's never a good year to get injured ;)

Congrats to the lads hope they enjoy the afters.

TbL

+1. Enjoy the few beers or whatever your chosen treat is. Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Looks like nearly everyone had a difficult last 10k. Have to take that into account for next year!

I'd say the weather had a major effort. For those of us coming in between 2:50 and 3 hours the weather really took a turn for the last 10k, temperature dropped, rain picked up and the course turned directly into the wind. They predicted the harshest conditions since the 2007 deluge and probably got it.

A cold sojourn in the tents at the start would seem to be standard fare. The experienced folks came armed with roll mats to sit on and ponchos to keep out the wind and rain. Others could be seen walking around with chattering teeth searching out the Lavazza tent and medical centre who were handing out foil blankets.

The finish line was like a mass outbreak of hypothermia. Everyone stopped and straight away realised they didn't have the required energy reserves to keep the body temperatures up. I think my teeth were chattering for 40 or so mins after. All thoughts of a cold beer were gone by the end of the walk to gear check.

Great race, super organisation and amazing support, especially given the weather conditions. Very busy throughout so bed in for a social day or be sure to get as far up the wave list as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Ah. Didn't see or hear any coverage as I couldn't watch the stream. By the way I don't see Christine Kennedy in the results. Pity.

She didn't run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

pistol_75 wrote: »
    She didn't run.

Gathered that alright. Any idea why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Gathered that alright. Any idea why?

I don't sorry. I presume injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I don't know much about him but 'really fallen apart' from doing a 3:24, sheesh, I'd be walking on air. What is he capable of then or done in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Same with me, fair play to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

aquinn wrote: »
    I don't know much about him but 'really fallen apart' from doing a 3:24, sheesh, I'd be walking on air. What is he capable of then or done in the past?

Pretty sure he ran 2:43 in Frankfurt, began training hard for Boston then got hurt. Possibly decided it was his hometown race so decided to jog it around very sensibly at a pace that gave no possible exposure to injury.

Ultrapussy is one of my new favourite posters by the way. Big fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pretty sure he ran 2:43 in Frankfurt, began training hard for Boston then got hurt. Possibly decided it was his hometown race so decided to jog it around very sensibly at a pace that gave no possible exposure to injury.

Yeah that's what DrQ told me too, though he told me he was planning about 3:35 so he actually went a bit faster than he predicted. Must have been influenced by Blockic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Race report

Thanks to DrQ for looking after us over there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ger664 wrote: »
    Race report

Great report Ger, sounds like a brilliant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Great report Ger & well done on the pb - not bad for an auld lad :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Pretty outstanding PB on a tough day Ger!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ger664 wrote: »
    Race report

Really well done, sounds like you were sensible at the beginning and that stood to you. Tough day and course to be getting a PB, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done Ger - great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Blokic finished in 3.38:17. Really slowed over the last 15k. Hopefully it wasn't a recurrence of his injury.

Anyone know how drq and opus finished up?

Really slowed is right! More like a catastrophic collapse! :pac: Thankfully the injury held up fine :) BUT the lack of hill training and horrible conditions softened me up over the last 15km. It actually feels parallel to diggers run here in 2013 now I recall. You can read and analyse all you want about the course but you really don't envisage how much the undulation takes out of your legs, particularly your quads until you do it and that was my supposed "easy" pace!

To the lads who PB'd it was really an awesome run as I reckon Monday was at least 5 minutes slower than a flat calm course.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah that's what DrQ told me too, though he told me he was planning about 3:35 so he actually went a bit faster than he predicted. Must have been influenced by Blockic!!

I will have you know that not once was 3:35 mentioned to me by the doctor himself! :pac: But boy do I wish I set off at that pace now!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well everybody - what a brilliant weekend in Boston. Once again the course got the better of me. Target was 2:57 odd and went through half way in low 1:28 which was at the quicker end of my plan. 2 years ago I had to really work on the Newton hills to try and stay on pace but this time I took my time going up and crested Heartbreak exactly on time for sub 2:58. Once again though I couldn't pick up the pace over the last 4 miles and lost the guts of 3 mins to finish in 3:01. Was shouting expletives out loud in the last 2k as even sub 3 disappeared. Never felt so miserable at the end of a race but had a serious drinking session after.

Can't wait to give Boston another go :). The unique challenge of the course is some drug and I'm not yet satisfied!

Had a brilliant time with the lads and thanks to Dr.Q and serious well done to opus and Ger on the PBs.

Meant to post earlier...shame we missed DrQ in this as he had to leave a little early.

Well done all!

346390.JPG

blockic wrote: »
    Meant to post earlier...shame we missed DrQ in this as he had to leave a little early.

Well done all!

346390.JPG

Actually beginning to think that DrQ doesn't actually exist - just a figment of the collective boards imagination who takes many forms depending on who is doing the imagining - hero so some, villain to others but never fails to draw an opinion ......

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Actually beginning to think that DrQ doesn't actually exist - just a figment of the collective boards imagination who takes many forms depending on who is doing the imagining - hero so some, villain to others but never fails to draw an opinion ......

Haha...probably a good thing he wasn't in the photo!

Haha...probably a good thing he wasn't in the photo!

Yep :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done all, seems like a great race...hope to hit a BQ time for the 2017 when I enter the old man section (3:15)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The Mr Snuffleupagus of Boards Kit :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Some say he is Jesus......

menoscemo wrote: »
    Some say he is Jesus......

Better check carefully what he is drinking at the beer mile then - could be turning that beer into water....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Itziger wrote: »
    Carta, 2.48.05 I don't think he was even doing marathon focused training as he has Badwater on the horizon. What a bloke. Took up this running lark about 6 years ago with no background in it. To give you an idea of his attitude, a few months ago he was asked to do a charity boxing match. Yep, says he. Does it: Wins!! Never put on a boxing glove before.

Small place the US is, I was talking to the very man in the tent in Hopkinton when we were all huddled together trying to keep warm! He was totally unassuming & my jaw hit the floor when I found out he was doing Badwater! Glad to hear he had a good run (was there ever a doubt?).
    I'd say the weather had a major effort. For those of us coming in between 2:50 and 3 hours the weather really took a turn for the last 10k, temperature dropped, rain picked up and the course turned directly into the wind. They predicted the harshest conditions since the 2007 deluge and probably got it.

Yup I've still got the image in my head when I got to the top of some random hill in Newton & hit the headwind full on for the first time. To be fair the start was grand as we were worried it was going to be crap from the get go. The gang running in the later starting waves has a much worst time of it tbh as they would have the nasty weather for much longer.

Thanks be to jebus for the ponchos as it would have been touch & go to make the long walk to get the gear in Boston Common otherwise. I had to get one of the volunteers to peel a banana for me as my hands just wouldn't work. Particularly enjoyed changing in the middle of the little bandstand by the bag tents but beggars can't be choosers, at least it was mostly out of the rain.

He's just like Keyser Söze in The Usual Suspects :)

It was a great event with a good bunch of people from boards. We even got to meet a few people who didn't run - Oryx, Dory Dory & DukeofDromada. Congrats to Ger on the new pb!

And of course huge thanks to DrQ who took great care of us and made it into a great weekend! Hopefully he'll be over his injury soon & back tearing up the roads.

Two things to finish, Heartbreak hill is nothing to get excited about despite all the hype & despite much pressure from my fellow runners I did not purchase the almost obligatory jacket! Just got home this evening and I don't seem to be suffering any buyers remorse :)

opus wrote: »
    Small place the US is, I was talking to the very man in the tent in Hopkinton when we were all huddled together trying to keep warm! He was totally unassuming & my jaw hit the floor when I found out he was doing Badwater! Glad to hear he had a good run (was there ever a doubt

Forgot to mention this! Of all the places to camp in the 2 huge tents and we sit next to a cork man. sound lad. I didn't even realize he had a handle on here until I read the thread after as I hadn't mentioned boards!

I remember asking prior to the race was he shooting for a new PB as we had the same PB "I don't worry about that stuff" he says. Then goes off and runs a 10 minute one!

Congrats Carta! Savage run and good luck in Badlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

That's a funny coincidence alright. Congrats to him and he so laid back about things beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Small place the US is, I was talking to the very man in the tent in Hopkinton when we were all huddled together trying to keep warm! He was totally unassuming & my jaw hit the floor when I found out he was doing Badwater! Glad to hear he had a good run (was there ever a doubt?).
    Forgot to mention this! Of all the places to camp in the 2 huge tents and we sit next to a cork man. sound lad. I didn't even realize he had a handle on here until I read the thread after as I hadn't mentioned boards!

I remember asking prior to the race was he shooting for a new PB as we had the same PB "I don't worry about that stuff" he says. Then goes off and runs a 10 minute one!

Congrats Carta! Savage run and good luck in Badlands!

That sounds like him alright!! And he's not being conceited (as far as I know) I will admit I'm looking forward to tracking him in Badwater. Hoping he doesn't mind sharing the number on the day.

Advertisement