Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full License for 11 years - What do I need to start biking?

• 23-04-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

A little confused on the sticky and if I need to do a theory test again to start learning to use a bike?

I've only ever driven a car, 11+ years with Full License

What do I need to do to start biking

I want to get the proper licence, permit etc. and then start tracing from absolute scratch as I have never been on a bike before but always wanted to

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Theory test in Cat A. www.theorytest.ie
    Then go to NDLS for a Learner permit in Cat A. www.ndls.ie
    When you get your Learner permit, then you go and do the IBT course.
    After that, you go buy a bike, tax and insure it, tog yourself out with protective gear, put petrol in the bike and away you go on any public roads you wish.

The only advantage you have with experience of driving a car is that you would know some of the dangers on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

First thing you need to do is read the sticky on "Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)". This will explain in detail what you need to know.

The process is as follows
    1. Theory Test
    2. Get Learner Permit
    3. Do your IBT
    4. After 6 months do test

Seeing as you are over 24 you can apply for an A license, see point 5:
    5. 24 y/o or over.
    You can apply for the A (Unrestricted) LP and avail of the Direct Access IBT modules 1, 3 & 5 (18 hrs). On completion you may then ride any size motorcycle on the road without power restriction. (As long as you can insure it)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Exactly what I need

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Only other advice you need is dont go with the 1st IBT instructor you come across...shop around or ask on here who is recommended.

To note as its not mentioned much, if you have passed a theory test before Oct 2006 and went onto get a full car license you do not have to do the theory test again to get a motorcycle learner permit.

I'm assuming you have done a theory test as it was introduced in 2001. Oct 2006 is of importance as it is when they split the car/motorcycle into separate tests.

So you just bring your bike application form, full car license and pps card into the NDLS center and wait a for it to come out in the post. They don't seem to know about this in many of the NDLS centers so you may get a push back(i did from the supervisor) but when he came back after making a call to the RSA presumably there was no more questions asked and the system accepted it no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement