Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

kiffer wrote: »
    Why is it disturbing to think that you are capable of actively defending a child (yours or otherwise) from an attacker?

It's disturbing having to visualise my child being attacked!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

If someone is stupid enough to violently attack someone else to air their frustration, anger or stupidity they will receive no sympathy from me if the other person or their friend retaliates, be they male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

sopretty wrote: »
    It's disturbing having to visualise my child being attacked!!!!

OK, that makes more sense.
    Anyway there is a comparison we can draw here...
    the OPs GF is on the floor, blood poring from her nose and the attacker (ie the person who attacked, unprovoked and with sufficient force to cause blood and knock the victim over) is still there... is she going to put the boot in? Is she going to hit him next? Should he wait to find out? Should you wait for thr gaurds to turn up while someone is getting beaten up?

Was it the best possible move? No...
    Is hitting one person to defend another ok? Yes.

kiffer wrote: »
    OK, that makes more sense.
    Anyway there is a comparison we can draw here...
    the OPs GF is on the floor, blood poring from her nose and the attacker (ie the person who attacked, unprovoked and with sufficient force to cause blood and knock the victim over) is still there... is she going to put the boot in? Is she going to hit him next? Should he wait to find out? Should you wait for thr gaurds to turn up while someone is getting beaten up?

Was it the best possible move? No...
    Is hitting one person to defend another ok? Yes.

I'll agree to differ on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

arf91 wrote: »
    The likely time for violence is if there's nowhere to run for e.g. if your about to be pursued by someone in a dark alley or if someone enters your home. This wasn't really a case of self defence, why couldn't he just have restrained her or shouted for a bouncer?
    I know there's always going to be violence but for the people who are smart enough to find other ways of defending themselves in these situations they should, and keep violence to a minimum. That's my view on it because there's just too much of it around as is and usually it escalates the situation rather than solving it.

Running away is always a option but it is not always the best solution. People are entitled to defend themselves if they are attacked.

• Advertisement

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Running away is always a option but it is not always the best solution. People are entitled to defend themselves if they are attacked.

The OP was not attacked. He punched a woman to teach her a lesson and in so doing, knocked her to the ground. He could have killed her in teaching her the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The OP was not attacked. He punched a woman to teach her a lesson and in so doing, knocked her to the ground. He could have killed her in teaching her the lesson.

Well SP, in my view it would have been rather less gallant of him to not retaliate on behalf of his lady companion, who didn't punch anyone, was minding her own business by all accounts, and yet ended up on the deck after a haymaker. And experience is by far the best teacher. The tuition fees are occasionally exorbitant, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

He punched her to defend his friend who was lying on the ground bloody. Later he said that it might also teach her a lesson but that is not why he did it initially. He reacted to protect his friend.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well SP, in my view it would have been rather less gallant of him to not retaliate on behalf of his lady companion, who didn't punch anyone, was minding her own business by all accounts, and yet ended up on the deck after a haymaker. And experience is by far the best teacher. The tuition fees are occasionally exorbitant, mind.

The fines for an assault charge would indeed be educational.

He punched her to defend his friend who was lying on the ground bloody. Later he said that it might also teach her a lesson but that is not why he did it initially. He reacted to protect his friend.

To protect his friend from what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The fines for an assault charge would indeed be educational.

Not to me. I am already fully aware that knackers are a protected species in this jurisdiction. :D

To protect his friend from what?

Considering his friend had just been sucker punched, was lying bloody on the ground, and the person who caused that was standing over her i'd assume that he was protecting her from and further hits.
    I dont know why you seem to think that the girl was walking away after one punch.

Considering his friend had just been sucker punched, was lying bloody on the ground, and the person who caused that was standing over her i'd assume that he was protecting her from and further hits.
    I dont know why you seem to think that the girl was walking away after one punch.

Well.......... because the OP never stated that the girl was going in for another blow...... and because he stated that he punched her and knocked her to the ground to teach her a lesson. He was quite proud of how he could make a woman fall like the twin towers too. He didn't state whether he then went on to pick his friend up, seek medical attention for her etc......
    He hit a woman, knocked her to the ground and enjoyed it.
    I suspect it will not be the last time he'll hit a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

Well.......... because the OP never stated that the girl was going in for another blow...... and because he stated that he punched her and knocked her to the ground to teach her a lesson. He was quite proud of how he could make a woman fall like the twin towers too. He didn't state whether he then went on to pick his friend up, seek medical attention for her etc......

he said what happened after the attack in a post somewhere there earlier.

he helped her up, he brought her to the bathroom to clean up the BLOOD she was covered in, and then they left the club.

he shouldnt have to state if she was going in for another punch....
    are you seriously suggesting the fat girl was going to walk away and not give the girl a kick on the ground??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I was replying to the post I quoted which stated people should always avoid violence. I was not referring to this incident.

pundy wrote: »
    he said what happened after the attack in a post somewhere there earlier.

he helped her up, he brought her to the bathroom to clean up the BLOOD she was covered in, and then they left the club.

he shouldnt have to state if she was going in for another punch....
    are you seriously suggesting the fat girl was going to walk away and not give the girl a kick on the ground??

I don't know what sort of folk you deal with, but no, I've never seen a woman punch a woman in the face for a start, and stand over her ready to put the boot in. I've also never seen a muppet flooring a woman either.

I don't know what sort of folk you deal with, but no, I've never seen a woman punch a woman in the face for a start, and stand over her ready to put the boot in. I've also never seen a muppet flooring a woman either.

Do you think that someone who is willing to punch a random person hard enough in the face to knock them down would not be willing to kick them while they are on the ground?

well lucky you, but it's clear, from this thread alone that it in fact DOES happen. women are vicious when they get going in a fight, just like men of course, and the girl on the ground is actually lucky to have only come away with a bloodied nose thanks to her friend who happened to be there at the time to put a stop to her being kicked to death by giant stiletto to the head.

why does it seem like you would have preferred the OP or his friend to end up being the ones in more pain than the aggressor??

Do you think that someone who is willing to punch a random person hard enough in the face to knock them down would not be willing to kick them while they are on the ground?

I don't know. Did the OP go in for the boot in the head to the fat girl after?

no, he clearly described what happened afterwards in another post.

WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING THE AGGRESSOR?

do you know her? is it you?

• Advertisement

pundy wrote: »
    no, he clearly described what happened afterwards in another post.

WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING THE AGGRESSOR?

do you know her? is it you?

I weigh 6 and a half stone and am 5 foot 4........... so no.......... I ain't the 'aggressor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I bet he will be hanging around with his friend all the time just waiting for another crazy woman to punch her.

I weigh 6 and a half stone and am 5 foot 4........... so no.......... I ain't the 'aggressor'.

that doesnt answer any of the questions i asked you though apart from one sarcastic one...

so, why do you keep defending the aggressor then?

why would you make out like the OP is the bad guy for defending his ladyfriend from being killed?

psinno wrote: »
    I bet he will be hanging around with his friend all the time just waiting for another crazy woman to punch her.

Nope. He'll teach his girlfriend a lesson when she disobeys him.

Nope. He'll teach his girlfriend a lesson when she disobeys him.

your posting from under a bridge arent you?

The OP did not randomly punch someone. He punched someone who attacked his friend, picked up his friend and left.

there is a huge difference between the two punches thrown in my opinion. the first was unprovoked to a completely random person. the second was a retaliation to protect their friend. Now it's fine if you don't agree

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Actually he stated he did it to defend his friend and that after he picked her up and went with her to the bathroom while she cleaned up the blood from her face.

You seem awfully focused on the fact that it was a woman he hit, as if that is somehow important or a 15 stone 6 foot woman couldn't possibly do any damage to someone. If the genders were reversed a bet many people in this thread wouldn't even blink an eye.

There's also an awful lot of bull**** in this thread about 2 wrongs not making a right, or the op being done for assault.

Responding instinctually to an unprovoked assault on a friend is not a "wrong" and will not be deemed to be assault. Its pretty amusing to see the amount of people who'd stand around waiting for their friend to get nailed again rather than step in to assist.

The OP did not randomly punch someone. He punched someone who attacked his friend, picked up his friend and left.

there is a huge difference between the two punches thrown in my opinion. the first was unprovoked to a completely random person. the second was a retaliation to protect their friend. Now it's fine if you don't agree

A punishment beating so to speak?

WTF!?

you're bonkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Justified defence of self or others, which is legally allowable despite what your skewed morales may say.

Advertisement