Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

pundy wrote: »
    WTF!?

you're bonkers

Well you said it was retaliation, not defence. That would make it a punishment beating.

Justified defence of self or others, which is legally allowable despite what your skewed morales may say.

He wasn't defending anyone. By his own admission, he knocked her to the ground to teach her a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

lick her forehead as sign of forgiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

sopretty wrote: »
    Well you said it was retaliation, not defence. That would make it a punishment beating.

no it wouldnt, and why rephrase it at all like that when you know the meaning of retaliation?

what agenda are you pushing here?

yes it's wrong to be a woman-beater...
    the op is not a woman beater.

he took out the threat in a dangerous potentially deadly situation.

just so happens in this case that the threat was a fat girl, and for that, you seem to be highly offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

He wasn't defending anyone. By his own admission, he knocked her to the ground to teach her a lesson.
    Gave my friend a bloody nose so I reacted instantly and decked her in the face.

Not seeing that in the op just that he hit her, I know the op was "edited" yesterday but don't recall him saying the bolded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Wrong. He knocked her down to defend his friend in an instinctual reaction. In a later post he said he hoped it taught her a lesson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

For goodness sake. A man hitting a woman is not a level playing field. It's not about equality. It's about physical strength.

Based on the physical description of the aggressor, the woman in question would be bigger than me in both height and weight. There's a reasonable chance she may be stronger than me as a result. Does that mean that I should be allowed to punch her without her retaliating?

In reality, physical strength or gender doesn't matter at all. If you're being attacked it's perfectly acceptable to take action to defend yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

If your husband was standing beside you and someone came up and punched you in the face, would you blame him for immediately punching them back?

I'm inclined to think what the OP did was wrong, but if it was my wife it happened to, I don't know what I'd do. So I can't really take too high a moral ground. And I know it wasn't his wife, but should that change anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

but you wouldnt give 2 fúcks if it was a bloke would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

They always throw more than one punch.

• Advertisement

Based on the physical description of the aggressor, the woman in question would be bigger than me in both height and weight. There's a reasonable chance she may be stronger than me to. Does that mean that I should be allowed to punch her without her retaliating?

In reality, physical strength doesn't matter at all. If you're being attacked it's perfectly acceptable to take action to defend yourself.

He was not being attacked.

kiffer wrote: »
    They always throw more than one punch.

Well did the OP stick the boot in then?

His friend was being attacked and was no longer in a position to defend herself. Same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Regardless of the OPs situation, I would not like to be out with some of my fellow posters if someone had floored me with a sucker punch :/

Wrong, he was in a group that was attacked and could reasonably be expected to believe he was to come under attack next therefore he was also under attack. Furthermore he was justifiably defending his friend.

Also, the post you were responding to was referring to a hypothetical situation. Keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

pundy wrote: »
    well lucky you, but it's clear, from this thread alone that it in fact DOES happen. women are vicious when they get going in a fight, just like men of course, and the girl on the ground is actually lucky to have only come away with a bloodied nose thanks to her friend who happened to be there at the time to put a stop to her being kicked to death by giant stiletto to the head.

why does it seem like you would have preferred the OP or his friend to end up being the ones in more pain than the aggressor??

Extra points for dramatic licence! Kicked to death by a giant stiletto to the head, sure why not go the whole hog and we'll say she could've had a knife tucked in between her arse crack and was making like she was gonna cut the OPs balls off...

Yeah, good thing he felled the fat bitch twin towers style! Should've kicked her in the gee too, just to make sure none of her offspring came looking for revenge on the oh so innocent OP and his friend.

Fact is none of us were there, so making shìt up about what could've happened, would've happened, might and probably happened, is just pure speculation, and it's clear the OP is only furnishing us with their own biased version of events. Unfortunately some posters like flies to a shìt only come out when there's an "equality" thread to justify their urge to knock seven bells out of another human being, regardless as they say, of their gender.

At some point you just have to laugh at some people's surrealist fantasies.

His friend was being attacked and was no longer in a position to defend herself. Same difference.

Well, how do you know she needed to be defended further?

By the same token, the OP attacked the big girl and she was in no position to defend herself.

By the same token, the OP attacked the big girl and she was in no position to defend herself.

Wrong, the OP can reasonably be expected to believe she needed defending due to be knocked to the floor. The aggressor in this scenario is 100% the girl.

I don't know whether she needed further defending, and either do you, we weren't there. The only evidence we have to go on is that of the OP. He believed she needed further defending. I'm not entirely confident of their credibility but it's our only source.

The OPs actions were defensive in nature so your second point makes no sense in this context.

I don't know whether she needed further defending, and either do you, we weren't there. The only evidence we have to go on is that of the OP. He believed she needed further defending. I'm not entirely confident of their credibility but it's our only source.

The OPs actions were defensive in nature so your second point makes no sense in this context.

Are you in first year law?

• Advertisement

No. My posts here are clearly coming from an ethical viewpoint rather than a legal one.

Why are you dragging this subject of topic?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Extra points for dramatic licence! Kicked to death by a giant stiletto to the head, sure why not go the whole hog and we'll say she could've had a knife tucked in between her arse crack and was making like she was gonna cut the OPs balls off...

Yeah, good thing he felled the fat bitch twin towers style! Should've kicked her in the gee too, just to make sure none of her offspring came looking for revenge on the oh so innocent OP and his friend.

Fact is none of us were there, so making shìt up about what could've happened, would've happened, might and probably happened, is just pure speculation, and it's clear the OP is only furnishing us with their own biased version of events. Unfortunately some posters like flies to a shìt only come out when there's an "equality" thread to justify their urge to knock seven bells out of another human being, regardless as they say, of their gender.

At some point you just have to laugh at some people's surrealist fantasies.

yeah like your own fantasies there about kicking her in the gee and stabbings ye weirdo.

i never mentioned any of the extra violent scenarios you did there, so what the hell are you on about?

i stated facts based on what the op said.

whats wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

They never just throw one punch.
    Is the OP one of them?
    I'm talking about people that attack other people...
    the aggressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

The Original Poster or the Original Puncher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

This isn't the first thread I've been reading where you post a lot of nonsense, whataboutery and derail the thread.

This isn't the first thread I've been reading where you post a lot of nonsense, whataboutery and derail the thread.

Care to elaborate? You can take it to pm if you're concerned about derailing a thread. That, or report my posts.

Care to elaborate? You can take it to pm if you're concerned about derailing a thread. That, or report my posts.

why be like that in the first place!? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Put yourself into this situation. Say you are married and you are at a wedding of your friends/brothers or sisters, with your wife. Both of you are dancing on the floor with the music and all of sudden, you are pushed out of the way and a tall woman punches your wife in the face. Do you stand there looking at your wife fall to the floor or do you punch the tall woman? I certainly wouldn't stand there like an absolute tít watching my wife get punched in the face unprovoked and certainly wouldn't leave it to the wife to sort it out.

It's an instinct to react instantly when someone sees their friend, brother, sister or whatever get pummelled whether it'll be violence or argument. I just choose the former in this case..

i wasnt going to OP, but i actually applaud your actions at this stage.

reading back, it seems the people who were dead against what you did, are the ones who were, how do you say... derailing the thread with other agendas.

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Put yourself into this situation. Say you are married and you are at a wedding of your friends/brothers or sisters, with your wife. Both of you are dancing on the floor with the music and all of sudden, you are pushed out of the way and a tall woman punches your wife in the face. Do you stand there looking at your wife fall to the floor or do you punch the tall woman? I certainly wouldn't stand there like an absolute tít watching my wife get punched in the face unprovoked and certainly wouldn't leave it to the wife to sort it out.

It's an instinct to react instantly when someone sees their friend, brother, sister or whatever get pummelled whether it'll be violence or argument. I just choose the former in this case..

It's a neanderthal instinct.

I'm a woman, so I'm unlikely to have a wife.

Advertisement