Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

sopretty wrote: »
    It's a neanderthal instinct...

You say that like it's by definition a bad thing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

It's a neanderthal instinct.

I'm a woman, so I'm unlikely to have a wife.

you are as much a neanderthal as the OP, im pretty sure you didnt get a separate evolution process

and why couldnt you have a wife as a lesbian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Can I ask what the girl who was initially punched thought of your actions? Was she delighted with you defending her?

jimgoose wrote: »
    You say that like it's by definition a bad thing? :confused:

It is. Most humans have evolved and think. A neanderthal instinct does not involve thinking.

Can I ask what the girl who was initially punched thought of your actions? Was she delighted with you defending her?

surely you'd be delighted to being saved from being assaulted further than already getting your face smashed in by a huge fist no?

if not, then there's definitely something wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

So she thought it was fine to punch someone she was obviously bigger and stronger than but when the exact same thing is done to her its worse because she is a women? If you put your hands on ANYBODY be prepared for someone to do it back and if you don't like it then don't put your hands on someone..........I see no problem here

pundy wrote: »
    you are as much a neanderthal as the OP, im pretty sure you didnt get a separate evolution process

and why couldnt you have a wife as a lesbian?

Because I'm not a lesbian?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Put yourself into this situation. Say you are married and you are at a wedding of your friends/brothers or sisters, with your wife. Both of you are dancing on the floor with the music and all of sudden, you are pushed out of the way and a tall woman punches your wife in the face. Do you stand there looking at your wife fall to the floor or do you punch the tall woman? I certainly wouldn't stand there like an absolute tít watching my wife get punched in the face unprovoked and certainly wouldn't leave it to the wife to sort it out.

It's an instinct to react instantly when someone sees their friend, brother, sister or whatever get pummelled whether it'll be violence or argument. I just choose the former in this case..

Sopretty says she wouldn't even hit a woman to save her child from a beating... so I think everyone is obviously on different wavelengths.

It is. Most humans have evolved and think. A neanderthal instinct does not involve thinking.

why the fook are you talking about neanderthals?

clearly the OP is as evolved as any other human on the planet, including (i hate to say) yourself.

one day you'll need someone to help you out and it wont be your high horse. that will have ran away on you, if it hasnt already!

Because I'm not a lesbian?

how am i supposed to know that!?
    you could be, plus just STOPPPPPP derailing the thread?!

you must be very bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Wrong, its a normal human instinct to defend oneself or ones partner/friend when threatened. It is just as normal and as valid as the instinct to run away.

pundy wrote: »
    surely you'd be delighted to being saved from being assaulted further than already getting your face smashed in by a huge fist no?

if not, then there's definitely something wrong there.

There was never a suggestion of her being further assaulted. If there had been, the OP would have gleefully included a description of the woman aiming her boot at the woman on the floor. He didn't. He's not one to miss an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There are many "subroutines" in the human brain that have been there for a long time and engage when needed without having to be pondered upon. They are a significant part of the reason we, as a species, are still around and are considered successful by some measures. Running from the sabre-tooth tiger. Going to a howling baby. Eating food. Clocking some competing ape when you or your Jane-Ape is attacked. That sort of thing.

There was never a suggestion of her being further assaulted. If there had been, the OP would have gleefully included a description of the woman aiming her boot at the woman on the floor. He didn't. He's not one to miss an opportunity.

there fvcking doesnt need to be a "suggestion" of further violence...

there WAS a suggestion in the fact that the fat girl was already after hitting the first unprovoked hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I'm a woman, so I'm unlikely to have a wife.

Ok, you are at the wedding of your friends. You are on the dance floor with your husband. Suddenly, a woman taller than you and your husband comes over, pushes him away and punches you in the face. What would you like to see next? Would you prefer your husband to stand there like plonker or actually defend his wife?

There was no suggestion that a further assault wouldn't take place either. Self defense is a seasonable reaction when assaulted. It does not have to occur after 2 incidents of assault have occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

kiffer wrote: »
    Sopretty says she wouldn't even hit a woman to save her child from a beating... so I think everyone is obviously on different wavelengths.

To be honest I can't even take her posts seriously,she's just annoyed because it was a woman the op hit and their on some higher plain of existence no matter the circumstances

Ok, you are at the wedding of your friends. You are on the dance floor with your husband. Suddenly, a woman taller than you and your husband comes over, pushes him away and punches you in the face. What would you like to see next? Would you prefer your husband to stand there like plonker or actually defend his wife?

What people would like to occur in a just society and what would actually happen are completely different.

you did the right thing OP

Oh is that what it was about?

• Advertisement

if you dont know what it's about at page 30 of the thread, then why are you still here?!?

beano345 wrote: »
    To be honest I can't even take her posts seriously,she's just annoyed because it was a woman the op hit and their on some higher plain of existence no matter the circumstances

I weigh 6 and a half stone. If a man hit me, it is highly likely I would be killed (or sent flying).

If I tried to punch some fictional hypothetical character who was beating up my daughter, I would be floored. It would never happen as I protect myself and my child from dangerous situations.

Women do not have the same muscle ratio as men.

Why are you even here? Your arguments are completely idiotic. You have something seriously against me for punching a woman in the face because she attacked my friend totally unprovoked. What is it that make it tick you off? The fact that I punched a woman or the fact that I punched someone who punched someone?

You'd even let someone beat your child and wouldn't intervene because it's not your fight? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I never realised we were so generic.

I weigh 6 and a half stone. If a man hit me, it is highly likely I would be killed (or sent flying).

If I tried to punch some fictional hypothetical character who was beating up my daughter, I would be floored. It would never happen as I protect myself and my child from dangerous situations.

The woman was 6ft something. I'm only 5"9/10 and my friend is only 5'4. I was obviously fighting someone bigger than me and was a female..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Normally I would not hit a woman the exception would be to protect my family them it wouldn't matter who or what was in front of me. They would get a slap

You'd even let someone beat your child and wouldn't intervene because it's not your fight? :confused:

Excuse me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You are also extremely unlikely to attack someone for no reason.

Normally I would not hit a woman the exception would be to protect my family them it wouldn't matter who or what was in front of me. They would get a slap

Would they get a punch on the face to knock them to the ground in the middle of a nightclub?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Would they get a punch on the face to knock them to the ground in the middle of a nightclub?

If your daughter was 18, If your daughter as in a night club with you, If someone attacked your daughter for no reason.....would you hit that person to protect your daughter from further attack?

Advertisement