Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

riveratom wrote: »
    What a piece of work - you punched a woman? It would be bad doing that even if she had hit you instead of your friend.
    But women throwing a punch is fine and all. No sexism here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

What a piece of work - you punched a woman? It would be bad doing that even if she had hit you instead of your friend.

Such a stupid outdated point of view.

Defending yourself and punching someone are two different things.

No they are not and the law agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Jesus, surely maybe holding her back rather than actually punching her would have sufficed? Even if it was a man, this would have been the correct approach.
    Interested to know, what was the reaction of the crowd around you? Were they expectedly horrified that you punched a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No they are not and the law agrees.
    Yes they are. Defend yourself without hitting someone, no need for law to get involved.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

There's a lot a internet hardmen on this thread.

Yes they are. Defend yourself without hitting someone, no need for law to get involved.:)

Not always possible, which is why the exemption in law exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

bumper234 wrote: »
    Girl assults me.

I hit girl back in self defence.

You think it's scummy to defend myself.

You decide to.assault me.

Kinda makes you a bigger scumbag imo. And fyi not everyone would stand there and take your **** as well.

I am a bigger "scumbag", probably by about a foot. And you know as well as I do old son, there's no need to hit a girl, ever. Just isn't a reason to, full stop. I held dozens of girls wrists as they tried going off on one on other "patrons" - doing the job you did so you know the score. Never felt the need to hit one, ever.

Don't hugely feel the need to hit most lads either, I'd probably just hold their wrists/pinkies too, unless they appeared to need a gentle tap with a fire-extinguisher to settle them.

There's a lot a internet hardmen on this thread.

There are a lot of sexist women in this thread also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

More than likely anyone who wouldn't ever consider hitting a woman in self defense is a brainwashed little sheep. Wake up and use your own two eyes to assess the situation and not the emotional propoganda in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

self defence only

I am a bigger "scumbag", probably by about a foot. And you know as well as I do old son, there's no need to hit a girl, ever. Just isn't a reason to, full stop. I held dozens of girls wrists as they tried going off on one on other "patrons" - doing the job you did so you know the score. Never felt the need to hit one, ever.

Don't hugely feel the need to hit most lads either, I'd probably just hold their wrists/pinkies too, unless they appeared to need a gentle tap with a fire-extinguisher to settle them.

Aren't you a great lad, up there on your big muscly pedestal. Unprovoked assault is scumbag behaviour, what you are talking about is unprovoked assault and you would rightly get done for it. But your backwards world view will keep you warm and safe in court i am sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You're a big tough guy who would just hold her hands till she calms down yet would have no issue caving someones head in with a fire extinguisher :rolleyes:

You're a big tough guy who would just hold her hands till she calms down yet would have no issue caving someones head in with a fire extinguisher :rolleyes:

I said gentle tap. Anyway, this will turn into a war of words. I don't hugely give a damn anyway, I'll stick to not hitting women, ye fire ahead and keep on proving how tough ye are, duffing up old-wans. ;)

I said gentle tap. Anyway, this will turn into a war of words. I don't hugely give a damn anyway, I'll stick to not hitting women, ye fire ahead and keep on proving how tough ye are, duffing up old-wans. ;)

Defending yourself is not about being tough. You just have a twisted view of chivalry and need a dose of cop on. Saying there is never a reason to hit a girl is just inane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Personally i'm not into hitting women myself but i wouldn't go mad critical on guys for doing it coz i know at times these days it's warranted.
    I doubt it was warranted in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Care to explain why you think a man should never defend themself against an unprovoked attack from a woman?

Emm yes because he wasn't under attack, his friend was attacked?!

I think people are getting confused as to the definition of self-defence, which is pretty worrying in fairness!

amkin25 wrote: »
    Personally i'm not into hitting women myself but i wouldn't go mad critical on guys for doing it coz i know at times these days it's warranted.
    I doubt it was warranted in this case.

When is it warranted so? When they throw 4 punches, 12? Maybe its only warranted with knives involved, or umbrellas over 3 foot?

Emm yes because he wasn't under attack, his friend was attacked?!

I think people are getting confused as to the definition of self-defence, which is pretty worrying in fairness!

Defence of others for one and reasonable expectation of coming under direct assault for another. You can use either as a defense in this situation. I think people are losing sight of what occurred merely because of the sexes involved.

When they start punching you i would say its warranted, if she can punch she can take a punch.

• Advertisement

amkin25 wrote: »
    When they start punching you i would say its warranted, if she can punch she can take a punch.

Would you stand and watch someone punch the head off a family member but hold back until they hit you?

beano345 wrote: »
    To be honest Stavros if a women assaulted me and I retaliated in self defense and a white knight like yourself stepped in I would go to town on some one like that I'd consider the pair of them "scangers" for re-educational purposes of course

I'm more the black Knight type, but I'll leave ye at it. I have an enormous calming effect on people anyway, which is good - hugely reduces the need for rowdiness.

Surprisingly the only woman i ever hit was trying to carve her name into my face with a broken glass but lets not let the facts get in the way of your chest puffing exercise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Surprisingly the only woman i ever hit was trying to carve her name into my face with a broken glass but lets not let the facts get in the way of your chest puffing exercise ;)

Sorry bumper, you're clearly a scumbag. You should have just held her wrists.

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Defence of others for one and reasonable expectation of coming under direct assault for another. You can use either as a defense in this situation. I think people are losing sight of what occurred merely because of the sexes involved.

None of us were there but surely the first instinct would have been to either restrain the woman, or push her in the case that it was clear she was going to attack his friend again.

GenieOz wrote: »
    Sorry bumper, you're clearly a scumbag. You should have just held her wrists.

/sarcasm

Well, Mr Sarcy, I happen to know Bumps is a pretty tough old boy, well able to take care of himself, without hitting the paying guests. The fact he hit her just means he fcuked up somwhere along the line, so hold the applause.

Well, Mr Sarcy, I happen to know Bumps is a pretty tough old boy, well able to take care of himself, without hitting the paying guests. The fact he hit her just means he fcuked up somwhere along the line, so hold the applause.

Didn't **** up at all, meant to hit her and was clinical in the finish. Defended myself in a dangerous situation as i will always do. Also he was being sarcastic.....you must have missed that what with the rose tinted glasses and all ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Defending yourself and punching someone are two different things. I've never punched anyone in all my 36 years on this planet, eleven of those running a nightclub in Donegal at the height of the Celtic Tiger plastering gold rush. Been in plenty of hairy situations, I've had to defend myself on numerous occasions, never had to lift my hand to anybody.

Okay, I see where you're coming from(No, not Donegal :)). If you work in the nightclub business and have to deal with a lot of hairy situations, you would want to restrain yourself.

But can you not see how a young man in a nightclub who just saw his friend getting floored for nothing might not have that same kind of restrainment? Or someone in a situation like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Alright Lads,

Can you put your pee pee things back into your pants please.

• Advertisement

Would you stand and watch someone punch the head off a family member but hold back until they hit you?

No in that case i would also say it's warranted, in this case it's not what happened , he was obviously drunk and he's twisted the truth that much is obvious.
    She didn't hit the girl for nothing whatsoever it's a case of him settling for the big girl and then this other girl jumped in and took him off her ,and obviously all 3 involved knew what was going on , cmon

Advertisement