Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

What about throwing cheese burgers at her?

that ok if their covered in salt for added affect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

eviltwin wrote: »
    So you think once someone initiates physical contact it should be a free for all?

Everyone should practice restraint. That includes your friend that shoved and the guy that punched her.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

If the OP hadn't come across as such an arsehole in the description he gave of the attacker I reckon most people here would applaud what he did... which is defend his friend.

Gender has nothing to do with it.

If you are standing chatting to a friend and out of nowhere an attacker punches your friend in the face, flooring them & giving them a bloody nose, chances are you will react in kind without even thinking.

Violence is a horrible thing, but sometimes it is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

this thread has brightened up my day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

GenieOz wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a free for all but they should expect the other person to react in kind.

Exactly...react in kind.

Breaking someone's nose because they pushed you out of their way is not reacting in kind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

So you think once someone initiates physical contact it should be a free for all?

Physical contact doesn't seem to appropriately describe a punch or a push though. Its not exactly brushing off someone or that.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Everyone should practice restraint. That includes your friend that shoved and the guy that punched her.

Agreed.

A very stupid decision on both parts resulted in him being arrested and losing his job and her needing medical treatment for months afterward. And all for something very minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

HugsiePie wrote: »
    People keep mentioning the girls weight.....I personally dont see what that has to do with anything......there are scrawny petite GAA players I know who could knock the wind out of anyone twice their size.....

Giving up maybe half a foot and 5 stone to a attacker is quite alot. Do you think there's weight divisions in boxing for the Craic?

I doubt she man would have tried clocking somebody in her own weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Shoving somebody is a escalatory violent act. Are you using physical contact as a euphemism for violence or its literal meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

psinno wrote: »
    Shoving somebody is a escalatory violent act. Are you using physical contact as a euphemism for violence or its literal meaning?

Ehhhhh cheese burger???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

FTA69 wrote: »
    Regardless of anything said here, she launched an attack on someone and got a box for her troubles. I'm failing to see the giant moral quandary.

EDIT; just noticed that your mate who was attacked was a woman herself. Totally fair game what you did if that's the case.

Why would the game be different if the mate was a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Ehhhhh cheese burger???

No thanks. I just had my lunch.

psinno wrote: »

She didn't put both hands on him and push him across the floor. She put her hand on his shoulder and pushed past him because he was blocking her exit, the kind of thing that happens all the time in crowded pubs and clubs when someone is in your way. Walking away from someone generally implies you are not interested in escalating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Big Steve wrote: »
    I like Katie Taylor and All but to be fair who was the girl in that.

In saying that. I've read interviews and she spars with guys and they have said she can hit as hard as any male boxer in her weight class
    Sorry for the 2 ladies, here's what you mean (who's the man in this:)) ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

kona wrote: »
    Giving up maybe half a foot and 5 stone to a attacker is quite alot. Do you think there's weight divisions in boxing for the Craic?

I doubt she man would have tried clocking somebody in her own weight class.

I just think the main issue here is a girl punched his friend and the op punched back

In fairness the op may have been heavier than the girl in question, and hes not mentioned if his friend is heavy or petite.

I just dont see what weight has to do with the moral of the issue at hand

The op has asked if his actions were justified, just because the girl was 7ft or 3ft changes his dilemma. Lets say his actions were justified....would they still be justified if the girl was a "healthy" weight or small...weight doesnt automatically equal strength. Im also sorry but I dont understand what you mean by the first half of your post.
    Giving up maybe half a foot and 5 stone to a attacker is quite alot.

Just because the girl may have been strong or weak does not change the question...was he right to hit a girl, is it more justifiable that he did because shes heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Why would the game be different if the mate was a man?

It wouldn't really I suppose but perhaps you could have argued that if a woman attacked two men they may have been able to restrain her without recourse to striking. But a giant woman assaulting a much smaller woman resulting her in getting panned out? F*ck that, fair game for a slap if I ever heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The right thing to do would have been to take your friend away from the person who boxed her.

Did you make the situation more safe by boxing a women? Nope. You increased your chances of getting smacked by someone else and making the person more angry who punched your friend, worst case scenario someone turns on you, you can't look after your friend who gets further injured. Even worse some of girls friends turn on your mate. Glasses get involved, people get hurt and hospitalised. Happens every weeek because some gung ho ar3ewipe thinks they are justified in throwing their fists around.

Violence is a last resort. You were stupid to use it and lucky things didn't pan out worse. If I went to that nightclub I would have been happy to see the idiot who punched your friend barred and also you barred for potentially making a bad situation worse.

Once you mature hopefully you'll learn to evaluate your options better and act on the basis of necessity rather than an immature physical manner which could only make a sh1t situation even sh1ttier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The more fat people get punched the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The more fat people get punched the better.

Well we have a winner for the threads most idiotic post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

Never never ever hit a women. you should be ashamed. go and apologise immediatly

100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

bumper234 wrote: »
    Well we have a winner for the threads most idiotic post.

Aww I was trying my best

Aww I was trying my best

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    So I was out last night with the lads, few pints and shots were had and then I went straight for the dancefloor looking to settle for my score for the night. As I was going through different women on the floor, I danced with them for a bit to see if they were interested. If not, I'd move on to the next one. At one stage, there was a "fat bitch" and I didn't want to look like an arsehole, ignoring her so I danced with her for a bit but moved on as I wasn't interested.

Next I met my friend so I started chatting up with her until suddenly, I was pushed aside by this fat bitch I danced before and she floored my friend. Gave my friend a bloody nose so I reacted instantly and decked her in the face. When she fell, she looked like the twin towers falling. I never met this cúnt before and I was lost at why did she punch my friend for no reason. :confused: Jealousy?

Was that punch I threw justified or did I step over the line?

What an idiotic thing to do.
    Are you looking for gratification here or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

kiffer wrote: »
    You should have grabbed her wrists with just enough force to stop her putting the bottle in you but not so much that she says "you're hurting me!" and then held her like that until the bouncer comes over to throw you out. Hopefully she won't have kicked you in rhe crotch before that happens.

Feck that! If someone comes at you with a bottle, you don't have time to think about grabbing her wrists etc. If she's hurting all the better!!! She just attacked me with a broken bottle for fudge sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

She didn't put both hands on him and push him across the floor. She put her hand on his shoulder and pushed past him because he was blocking her exit, the kind of thing that happens all the time in crowded pubs and clubs when someone is in your way. Walking away from someone generally implies you are not interested in escalating things.

You initially said she shoved him. I dont shove my way out if a crowded bar as some one would deck me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

What an idiotic thing to do.
    Are you looking for gratification here or what?

He's looking for general consensus that he was in the right, it ease any qualms of the conscience.

I mean why else does anyone ask "was I right to..."

Thats not an insult op, thats just life.

maguic24 wrote: »
    Feck that! If someone comes at you with a bottle, you don't have time to think about grabbing her wrists etc. If she's hurting all the better!!! She just attacked me with a broken bottle for fudge sake!

I think he was being sarcastic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

similar situation happened to me once, some random girl threw her drink over me and slapped me then burst out laughing with her friends, i was fcuking livid, however, i refrained from action and luckily a bouncer saw it. He was only going to turf her out, i insisted this was assault and insisted that the gardai be called or i would have to pursue legal action myself against said club. they called the gardai and i insisted she be charged with assault. I still remember the streams of tears (hers) to this day,the gardai said it wasn't worthwhile charging her and asked i didn't, fcuking d4 head too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

bumper234 wrote: »
    I think he was being sarcastic :D

:o Oh, I can never tell on here! :P

Advertisement