Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's hard to know without seeing the situation.

She punched your mate, fair enough. However, just because someone assaults you, doesn't necessarily give you the right to assault them back, unless they're a continuing threat. If she tried to hit you afterwards or your mate again, it's perfectly justified in my eyes.

I don't understand why people see a difference between hitting a man and hitting a woman. Neither is a good thing to do, but if you're defending yourself or someone else, both are acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's hard to know without seeing the situation.

She punched your mate, fair enough. However, just because someone assaults you, doesn't necessarily give you the right to assault them back, unless they're a continuing threat. If she tried to hit you afterwards or your mate again, it's perfectly justified in my eyes.

I don't understand why people see a difference between hitting a man and hitting a woman. Neither is a good thing to do, but if you're defending yourself or someone else, both are acceptable.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

However, just because someone assaults you, doesn't necessarily give you the right to assault them back, unless they're a continuing threat. If she tried to hit you afterwards or your mate again, it's perfectly justified in my eyes.

I disagree. If someone swings at you, you don't need to wait for the second punch. Knock the ****er out. The second punch could be one that does the damage to your good self.

As with any fight, be it in aggression or self defence, be prepared for the consequences of your actions. These things are rarely black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I disagree. If someone swings at you, you don't need to wait for the second punch. Knock the ****er out. The second punch could be one that does the damage to your good self.

As with any fight, be it in aggression or self defence, be prepared for the consequences of your actions. These things are rarely black and white.

I like your signature. That was my all time favourite post on Boards.

Lets say somebody hits you and runs away. Is it okay to spend 5 minutes chasing them and then punch them? How about if you wait until the next day and then punch them?

Assault is only really justified as self defence, not as revenge. From the situation the OP described, it probably was self defence, and thus probably justified.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    :eek:

You forgot to highlight the rest of my sentence?

:P

You forgot to highlight the rest of my sentence?

:P

No because the bolded was the relevant part imo. If someone punches me and then steps back does that mean they are no longer a "threat" and therefore not deserving of a punch back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just to clear up any queries posters have posted,

-The girl I punched was roughly taller than me, not much and my friend is only 5ft2". I'm 5ft9".

-There was only one punch thrown by me and the tall girl.

-I didn't punch her and hit her again after I chinned her (replacing the "decking" word as suggested by a poster...). I simply picked my friend off the floor and left for the bathrooms where she fixed herself up and then we left soon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lets say somebody hits you and runs away. Is it okay to spend 5 minutes chasing them and then punch them? How about if you wait until the next day and then punch them?

Assault is only really justified as self defence, not as revenge. From the situation the OP described, it probably was self defence, and thus probably justified.

If you chase the attacker down, you're getting in to all sorts of trouble. If you react to a situation to protect yourself, you're doing just that. I'm not saying you'll get away with it, but a jury should see the difference.

Anyone who throws a punch at anyone else should expect the exact same in response. Violence only ever begets more violence. I like to think, if I was in that situation, that I would be able to deal with it without violence but I reckon I would've just flattened the bitch, too.

No because the bolded was the relevant part imo. If someone punches me and then steps back does that mean they are no longer a "threat" and therefore not deserving of a punch back?

It all depends on whether you still perceive them as a threat, which was the rest of my sentence. If they step back and you still think they're a threat, it's justified. If you go after them and try punch them out of revenge or for bravado reasons, it's not justified.

• Advertisement

If you chase the attacker down, you're getting in to all sorts of trouble. If you react to a situation to protect yourself, you're doing just that. I'm not saying you'll get away with it, but a jury should see the difference.

That's what I said in my initial post? Assaulting someone in order to protect yourself is understandable. Assaulting someone to get revenge isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Just a standard night out in Louth, I would have thought.

It all depends on whether you still perceive them as a threat, which was the rest of my sentence. If they step back and you still think they're a threat, it's justified. If you go after them and try punch them out of revenge or for bravado reasons, it's not justified.

So someone assaults you, turns and walks away, you shrug your shoulders because that person is no longer a threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I just think the main issue here is a girl punched his friend and the op punched back

In fairness the op may have been heavier than the girl in question, and hes not mentioned if his friend is heavy or petite.

I just dont see what weight has to do with the moral of the issue at hand

The op has asked if his actions were justified, just because the girl was 7ft or 3ft changes his dilemma. Lets say his actions were justified....would they still be justified if the girl was a "healthy" weight or small...weight doesnt automatically equal strength. Im also sorry but I dont understand what you mean by the first half of your post.

Just because the girl may have been strong or weak does not change the question...was he right to hit a girl, is it more justifiable that he did because shes heavy?

So because you have a vagina you can expect to hit people without fear of counter attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Just to clear up any queries posters have posted,

-The girl I punched was roughly taller than me, not much and my friend is only 5ft2". I'm 5ft9".

-There was only one punch thrown by me and the tall girl.

-I didn't punch her and hit her again after I chinned her (replacing the "decking" word as suggested by a poster...). I simply picked my friend off the floor and left for the bathrooms where she fixed herself up and then we left soon afterwards.

You did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So someone assaults you, turns and walks away, you shrug your shoulders because that person is no longer a threat?

Yes.

Yes.

Lol and then people wonder why they are victims.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    So I was out last night with the lads, few pints and shots were had and then I went straight for the dancefloor looking to settle for my score for the night. As I was going through different women on the floor, I danced with them for a bit to see if they were interested. If not, I'd move on to the next one. At one stage, there was a "fat bitch" (should say well-built tall girl..) and I didn't want to look like an arsehole, ignoring her so I danced with her for a bit but moved on as I wasn't interested.

Next I met my friend so I started chatting up with her until suddenly, I was pushed aside by this fat bitch I danced before and she floored my friend. Gave my friend a bloody nose so I reacted instantly and decked her in the face. When she fell, she looked like the twin towers falling. I never met this cúnt before and I was lost at why did she punch my friend for no reason. :confused: Jealousy?

Was that punch I threw justified or did I step over the line?

Ah Louth people

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Would you have punched her if you were attracted to her?

Doubt it.

If it's true, she seems like a nutter but you seem just as bad IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Wrong. You weren't in any danger, you could have restrained tubby and asked the bouncers to throw her out. Punching her is assault imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I once seen a girl give a fella a good slap now, a nice peach. He paused for a bit, turned his head back to looking at her straight, kind of growled, and then hit her an unmerciful headbutt. Bust her nose, eyesocket and knocked out some of her teeth. She bounced off the ground.

Compare this to a lady waiting for a taxi once, who was beating her husband. She had an impressive left hook, and good balance. Quick hands. But he didn't touch her or lash out. He couldn't really restrain her or bear hug her as she was too quick on her feet, but should he have?

I think if someone is going to come at you aggressively like that, they are fair game, but broadly, no, please do not hit anyone. It is not good. A lot of the skill of getting out of a confrontational situation is in managing it, not breaking someone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Or just fall to the ground and roll around after getting a flick in the leg, then jump up when David gets thrown out... Eh Diego?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

"Shome times a dame needs a good shmack"
    Humphrey Bogart 1938

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Has to be a troll but seeing as there's 12 pages. You should be arrested for assault OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Has to be a troll but seeing as there's 12 pages. You should be arrested for assault OP.

Shouldn't she be arrested aswell?

kona wrote: »
    Or just fall to the ground and roll around after getting a flick in the leg, then jump up when David gets thrown out... Eh Diego?

Touché. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Lol and then people wonder why they are victims.:confused:

It is foolish to chase after revenge and that doesn't make you a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

I started my post as a bit of a boast/the craic. You're implying he started this thread for similar reasons? Boasting about violence. Nice one. *Raises eyes in the air condescendingly*

Edit: People seemed to like what I did btw. The OP? Meh! Not so much!

ah thats a sh!te comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You do realise when we apply this to the real world its all bollocks :pac:

If someone hits you and you dont hit them back. Not even making a gesture of standing your ground... doesnt matter if they've stepped back... all too often you'll be seen as a soft touch and you'll get more punches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

2 wrongs dont make a right

Advertisement