Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I wonder how the "wide-bodied lady" feels about all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

If necessary in self-defence, absolutely.

The idea that a girl could attack you but it's morally wrong punch her back if necessary to defend yourself is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

So this is obviously the gathering of the Boards annual convention for the "intellectually challenged" then, yeah?

Jesus fcuking christ. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So this is obviously the gathering of the Boards annual convention for the "intellectually challenged" then, yeah?

What makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Welcome, welcome. Tie your high horse up outside and come in and take a load off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I wonder how the "wide-bodied lady" feels about all this?
    A little deflated perhaps but Im sure she will bounce back given time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Welcome, welcome. Tie your high horse up outside and come in and take a load off.

You're grand.

*Gallops away on said high horse and leaves the village idiots to it*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The insensitive terms and focus on her weight does seem a bit nasty in fairness.

You're grand.

*Gallops away on said high horse and leaves the village idiots to it*

Yeehaw.

magma69 wrote: »
    The insensitive terms and focus on her weight does seem a bit nasty in fairness.

No doubt. I'm guilty of it too. Alas, I am not intellectually challenged. :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

If she was a skinny girl would it make a difference, i was assaulted in a pub in temple Bar in an unprovoked assault by an average sized girl, would it be wrong for me to defend myself, the bouncers saw what happened and promptly threw her out, leaving me with a bloody nose and split lip

If the situation had been reversed I'm sure I would have been arrested and prosecuted, I asked the bouncers to call the cops and was told to man the **** up, in hindsight I should have decked her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

jamo2oo9 what was your friends reaction to what happened and what you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Tall women are very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm still unsure as to why her body type makes a difference. Even with the edited OP, he still refers to her as a 'wide-bodied' lady.
    Why not just say 'there was another girl but I wasn't attracted to her so I danced with her for a bit and then moved on'.

It seems like he's trying to offer justification to his punch because she was large and subsequently must be unattractive and therefore deserving of the punch? Because he knows that the people of AH would probably set upon him if he hadn't tried to make her out to be some sort of ogre.

Imagine how she might feel if she was reading this thread?

I haven't read every single comment but the gist I have gotten is that there is a LOT of 'fat-hating', and other contributions of men hitting women and such in parts of the thread are quite shocking to be honest. Girls can act like twats on a night out (men too, in case anyone thinks I'm sexist) but I don't think anyone deserves to be pushed down 4/5 steps as I read here earlier.

The situation the OP gave, the woman was obviously in the wrong and who knows why she threw a punch. But his retaliation does nothing for him and just portrays him as a childish idiot.

For future reference OP, skip the pity dance with the 'fat friend' you have no interest in and just move on. It's far wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I think if someone girl or boy launches the first punch like is the case of the OP then they run the risk of getting punched back. I don't see why she should have been treated any differently to a man here. She was a violent bint.

The idea that you should never hit a woman is bull**t and even dangerous in certain circumstances. If a woman was coming at you with a bottle or knife then you'd be wise to use whatever force necessary to save yourself from injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

u male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Tall women are very attractive.

Define tall.

Tho not sure of the relevance to the thread subject.

In one way can't help but think the girl deserved to be floored. Knowing absolutely nothing about the girl or the incident in question other than what was posted in op, it is very rare that any sort of justice prevails taking such matters through the official channels; and indeed it seems rare that any worthwhile punishment results to make people think about doing such acts in the future.

The punch the "big" girl got will probably teach more of a lesson than any other outcome would likely have in the realities of Irish society today.

Op, leaving aside the language used in your post, as the mods have dealt with that, what you did won't get a particularly huge amount of condemnation from me. However, you have left yourself wide open to potential trouble on this one. If there's cameras there and you can be identified you may land yourself in some trouble. I would day, that no matter how unfair it is, the courts would probably treat you less favourably than the "big" girl.

Again as I've said I know nothing about the girl, but the consequences for rash actions of an otherwise respectable member of society are usually far greater than the pond life with strings of convictions. That's using a wild assumption that you are an otherwise respectable member of society and the girl was pond life. Those regularly in trouble with the Gardai rarely have any concerns such as losing jobs, or getting entrance visas to countries etc.

The only real victim here would appear to be your friend.

Edit: it is incidents such as these that reflects the broader problems with our justice system and society l, generally. I often feel scummy behaviour has no real deterring punishment in practice, particularly for repeat offenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

poppyvally wrote: »
    u male or female?

If its me you're asking male

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Never hit a woman, never would hit a woman. Don't care what the circumstances are/were/could be. Hit plenty of lads, rather a few as it happens. Hit a girl? Naah. I'd give that a miss. Wouldn't be hugely impressed if I saw someone hit a woman either. I'd feel morally compelled to administer a bit of a clatter and I'm a slave to my morals. Kinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Never hit a woman, never would hit a woman. Don't care what the circumstances are/were/could be. Hit plenty of lads, rather a few as it happens. Hit a girl? Naah. I'd give that a miss. Wouldn't be hugely impressed if I saw someone hit a woman either. I'd feel morally compelled to administer a bit of a clatter and I'm a slave to my morals. Kinda.

Clatter a stranger for an incident you likely wouldn't have the background to? Not very clever I'd argue. At least the op could contextualise it in terms if an unprovoked attack on his friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

If someone punched me be it man, woman, gay or transgender .........they'd get one back. I don't contribute to the nonsense of not retaliating because of one's sex. If we're all equal and all that - then we all should get a fair crack of the whip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    If someone punched me be it man, woman, gay or transgender .........they'd get one back. I don't contribute to the nonsense of not retaliating because of one's sex. If we're all equal and all that - then we all should get a fair crack of the whip.

You've spent your whole life chasing a Bird with no success...I feel your anger!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You sure about that. A girl bit a part of my mates ear off one night after a club. He didn't do much, I'd have put her head through a window.

No one has the right to assault anyone else, but if they do they should be prepared to face whatever consequences come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    No one has the right to assault anyone else, but if they do they should be prepared to face whatever consequences come along.

I agree with this. Doesn't matter if they're a woman, doesn't mean they should get away with it!

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    You sure about that. A girl bit a part of my mates ear off one night after a club. He didn't do much, I'd have put her head through a window.

Ahh, I've had stiletto heels buried into my back, glasses shoved into my back, claws scrawbed down the back of my neck and head, all by women, who remained unhit. I was usually mowing the head off their fella, which probably provoked them, to be honest, but i still wouldn't hit a girl. I doubt I'm alone, lots of lads won't hit girls as a solid rule. Such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Ahh, I've had stiletto heels buried into my back, glasses shoved into my back, claws scrawbed down the back of my neck and head, all by women, who remained unhit. I was usually mowing the head off their fella, which probably provoked them, to be honest, but i still wouldn't hit a girl. I doubt I'm alone, lots of lads won't hit girls as a solid rule. Such is life.

It's a bit of a silly rule though. Just because they don't have a penis doesn't mean they can't do the exact same damage to you that a man can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If you can dish it out like a man, well it's only right you take it like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Context?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Fair enough. Maybe I have a stronger instinct for self preservation.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you can dish it out like a man, well it's only right you take it like a man.

But it's not a man, it's a woman. There's a difference. I don't care about their decency, I care about mine. I don't hit women out of decency, not because they don't deserve it, or need it or whatever. To me, a man who hits a woman is a sac. That's my view, and it won't change. I'd hold her wrists, and tbh, unless my back was turned, they couldn't hit me anyway, don't make me laugh. The only time a woman has hit me face to face, it was a slap I stood and took, and I probably deserved it.

Advertisement