Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Prepare For 5th Year Over The Summer

• 23-04-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm in TY at the moment but I'm worried I've basically forgotten everything I've learned from the junior cert. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to prepare for 5th year over the summer holidays? I feel like I haven't learning anything since the start of TY, even though I loved it. Also if anyone has any regrets of things they'd wish they had done from the start of 5th year, that would be really helpful too!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Hey guys,
    I'm in TY at the moment but I'm worried I've basically forgotten everything I've learned from the junior cert. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to prepare for 5th year over the summer holidays? I feel like I haven't learning anything since the start of TY, even though I loved it. Also if anyone has any regrets of things they'd wish they had done from the start of 5th year, that would be really helpful too!
    Thanks! :)

Honesty, have a good time, do whatever you enjoy, fifth and sixth year are long enough without including summers!!! I also did ty and did NOTHING during it, was terrified about the workload going into fifth year, but seriously, 1st couple of days are tiring but after that you remember what its like to study.
    Personally, I wish I had spent more time thinking about what I want to do after the leaving cert, it's very easy to get caught up in exams exams exams once you're in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:(

What kind of messed up education system have we created where the kids are worrying about studying during the Summer?

You only get a handful of Summers free of obligations. Enjoy them. You will miss them when they're gone. Oh so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it over the summer, enjoy your summer relax and chil with your friends.
    The leaving cert course is different to the junior everything your learn for 5th n 6th year is what you nead for your LC. Except maybe languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You could learn the LC course in January of 6th year from scratch so forget about it. As long as you go to class and do your homework 5th year will be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

Honesty, have a good time, do whatever you enjoy, fifth and sixth year are long enough without including summers!!! I also did ty and did NOTHING during it, was terrified about the workload going into fifth year, but seriously, 1st couple of days are tiring but after that you remember what its like to study.
    Personally, I wish I had spent more time thinking about what I want to do after the leaving cert, it's very easy to get caught up in exams exams exams once you're in school.

I'm not in any way saying that I'm not going to have fun during the summer, I'd say it's going to be crazy :) but I'm the type of person that couldn't enjoy the summer if I didn't think I was ready for 5th year. I'm just wondering if it would help to have a quick look over my new books or make a study plan or anything I should get like folders etc that would be helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Maybe do some research on King Lear. I did that for Othello and found it really helped. Other than that take a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

There's not an awful lot you can prepare for..asides from getting your books early (if you're getting 2nd hand, get them before they're all gone) and so on. I don't know what your subjects are so can't really direct you anywhere. I did TY and you do forget everything from the junior cert, but the teachers understand that. Lots of people (everyone) are in your situation! But what you learn in the jc, is improved on in the lc so there's not much point. For languages, yeah basically everything goes out the window but you learn it all again.

Folders for every subject where you put in your own polypockets - I think its easier as you can just bring home the polypocket home instead of the bulky folder. If you do art, doing a bit of drawing won't hurt, as well as a bit painting as you'd surprisingly forget that stuff. Again this is me just waffling on a bit. It depends what you've done in TY. I know in some schools TY is academic while in others its more relaxed and project like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I would prepare as follows:

Sleep, drink (if that's your thing) and have the craic with your friends. A week or two before you go back maybe have a glance at a few textbooks but honestly you don't have to do any prep. You really don't need too.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lounge on the couch and watch tv. Go to the beach when the weather is nice. Try destroy your liver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I tried doing this last year, tip: DONT. This is the last little bit of freedom until you knuckle down for 5th year! You'll feel a lot better knowing you spent your summer having lots of good memories doing fun things, make the most of the summer :) I regret not doing lots of fun things last summer and I wish I had spent it doing stuff with my friends not stuck inside doing absolutely pointless revision:) don't worry you'll get back into the routine of studying because you'll be motivated to get back to working.

Advertisement