Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal van

Options
  • 23-04-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey, I need to rent a van for moving home, is it possible to rent a van and drive it myself with a normal car licence? if so any recommendations? if not anyone recommend a moving company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah you can get a van up to a certain size on a car licence, once the gross vehicle weight is under 3.5 tonnes, think big transit, the rental company will be able to advise anyway.

Just google rent a van and you'll get a lit of the companies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

How much stuff have you got and how far are you going? If it's all the furniture, etc. get a moving company.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

a few pieces of furniture but moving to the other side of the country so I thought a company would be expensive. I'll just start ringing companies and see what the story is but just thought i might get a few recommendations that someone had found were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

rothai wrote: »
    a few pieces of furniture but moving to the other side of the country so I thought a company would be expensive. I'll just start ringing companies and see what the story is but just thought i might get a few recommendations that someone had found were good.

I'm not sure what costs are like. I moved to the UK with no furniture and only the clothes and other possessions in the back of the car.

When I moved again within the same city, I hired a van for £30 for the day. Everything fit in the one move. If I were to move today, I'd need a few trips or a bigger van.

The moving companies will give you a quote no bother. It's worth checking the price before you make a decision. It could be worth a little extra for less hassle, but that's up to you (and how much the quotes are).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sixt do van rentals, not sure of their prices in Ireland but they cost around €30-40 a day here in Germany. Can't imagine there would be much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Man with a van guys are your friend.
    I have hired a van for one move and hired a man with a van for another move, I know what I will use next time Man with a van every time. You even get an extra pair of hands and a fella who knows how to get akward things in and out of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

murphym7 wrote: »
    Man with a van guys are your friend.
    I have hired a van for one move and hired a man with a van for another move, I know what I will use next time Man with a van every time. You even get an extra pair of hands and a fella who knows how to get akward things in and out of your house.

I agree. Done the same myself recently. Only for man with a van I would not have a clue about getting big items through narrow doors.

Advertisement