Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning A Trip To New York

Options
  • 23-04-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Folks, I would really appreciate some tips on planning a trip to NYC this June.

I believe it can be quite expensive and long queues to get into places like the Empire State etc. Can anyone direct me to anywhere (websites) where i can pre-book and skip queues. I would love to be organised and have things sorted.

I would also love to get in a Basketball game there. Any links to get discounted tickets?

I haven't organised accommodation yet but have been looking on www.airbnb.com at possibly renting a room. Also we will be travelling to a relation in Boston for two days, thinking of renting a car but maybe a train would be more efficient. If so can someone send me a link for pre-booking tickets.

I have downloaded a free App with the map of the Subway which should come in handy. Are there any other free usefull Apps I could download? I have heard of the 7-day metrocard for $29. Do I just buy this over there? We are travelling into JFK so is there a bus to get to the city centre or will we get a taxi?

Any other advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I have downloaded a free App with the map of the Subway which should come in handy. Are there any other free usefull Apps I could download? I have heard of the 7-day metrocard for $29. Do I just buy this over there? We are travelling into JFK so is there a bus to get to the city centre or will we get a taxi?

Yup, there's a couple of decent apps to plan your subway journey, I used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.mxdata.newyorksub , great app for planning your trip, especially if you have data for real time updates.

Buy the 7-day metrocard at any subway station when you get there, excellent investment. A taxi is the handiest way of getting to your destination when you first arrive as you may be a bit disoriented to use public transport. We stayed in Queens (cheaper hotels), only 2 minutes from the nearest subway stop and only a 15 minute ride into Times Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 IsMiseAvril

Great thanks a mill. I'm planning on doing a 10k race in Queens anyway so maybe we'll just stay there altogether. Didn't realise how close it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great thanks a mill. I'm planning on doing a 10k race in Queens anyway so maybe we'll just stay there altogether. Didn't realise how close it was.

So you went for the Queens race ! The only thing is that Queens is a big area and does not have the density of public transport that Manhattan has so not everywhere in Queens will have be 15 mins to Manahattan (e.g. Flushing where the race is held is further out).

Travel from JFK: There are bus services that run to the Manhattan (usually Grand Central or the PortAuthority). http://www.nycairporter.com/Company/Media/NewYorkAirportService.aspx You could also consider https://www.supershuttle.com/ I have not used them in NY but elsewhere I have found them ok. Not sure what a cab to the city costs these days.

I would not rent a car - it will be a hassle in either city. Either look at the train or a bus. We use Megabus to Boston frequently and found them decent and cheap. Obviously the train is a bit more comfortable and a (iirc) a little shorter.

The NBA season will probably be over when you get here (and it's unlikely the local teams will still be involved :rolleyes: ). You could probably be able to get tickets for the Liberty who also play at MSG. http://www.wnba.com/liberty/

Thanks I think we'll probably go with the mega bus, cheap and cheerful! (Maybe not cheerful!!) Trains seem VERY expensive over there!?

I'm actually going to do the Achilles Hope & Possibility Run as well, as it sounds like it will be a heartwarming experience, and I just have to run in the Holy Grail of running anyway!

Ah that's a pity about the basketball season. I wouldn't have any interest in the game it was just the atmosphere ans experience I was going for.

Now I am wondering whether to use a Visa Debit Card or a Credit Card over there but from what I'm reading there's little difference re charges etc...

I'm guessing the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon will have stopped filming for the summer also!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

In terms of debit vs credit, check the details on your cards to see what the charges are for using abroad. I've found that our credit card works out better, as has fewer transaction charges, except for at ATMs obviously.

FYI, most places over here will require a signature, no chip+PIN.

Credit cards tend to have fraud protection etc, so would be easier if it gets lost/stolen (touch wood, this won't be an issue).

I did a bunch of train travelling around the East coast a few years ago - we got Amtrak passes, which worked out pretty cheap. For the one/two journeys, it might be cheaper to go by bus, but it would be much nicer by train :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ah that's a pity about the basketball season. I wouldn't have any interest in the game it was just the atmosphere ans experience I was going for.

How about Baseball? Its a really family thing, lots of little kids are there, and a serious slice of Americana, flag waving, songs etc.

Plus each team plays almost every night, they only take a night off each week. (162 games in a 7 month season) so its much easier to get tickets.

There's the Yankees and the Mets in the NY area. The Mets play in Queens.

Thanks for that! I'll look into a baseball game for sure!

Advertisement