Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Faulty PC Fan Issue

Options
  • 23-04-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

From about 5pm yesterday evening there has been this awful loud buzzing/rattling/vibrating noise coming from my PC.I suspect that it's either a faulty fan or the fans have to work extra hard to cool down the machine.Will a computer normally give a warning of a fan failure or a warning when it's about to overheat?Im also worried about a possible fire hazard if the fans are faulty.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

install core temp and this will tell you if excessive heat there. Then Speedfan to see whats going down with your fans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SOMETIMES cables fall on top of fans, which make a loud noise as the fans go,es around.
    open case ,see if anything is on top of the fan,
    most fans are easy to replace,

IF IT NEEDS replacing get a fan the same size ,with the 4 screw holes in the same place.
    bring the old fan to a shop ,
    search fans on google, maplins.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

As above. Check for any cables touching the fans. If its not that, when the fan is running tap the centre, see if there is play on the fan (can move inwards). Depending on the age of the machine, most PC's have a critical temp cutoff, so if the PC gets too hot it will shut down to protect itself
    Fans are easy as pie to replace
    Most are 80mm, depending on the PC
    I'd advise getting a replacement from dabs.ie or Komplett. Maplin have just overpriced crap

Even check adverts for someone selling fans. Bound to be one you'd want there

Advertisement