Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Express and Seagate

• 23-04-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I have the 3rd Gen Airport Express. Done a bit of research online but can only find people with problems and nobody saying if it works of not so I said I would chance my luck here.

I'm thinking of getting Seagate Backup Plus 3TB because it is of course the maximum that the Airport will take through the USB. I'm looking to connect the drive to make the drive wireless over the network.

Anyone know if this will work or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mine works perfectly. It doesn’t support connecting an external hard drive, though. For that you’ll need the Airport Extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yes, as SP mentioned, the Express won't suit your needs - its USB port only supports USB printers.

The Express does Airplay speakers and USB printing, whereas the Extreme doesn't do the speakers, but does do USB printing and USB storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

ok thanks for the info.

If that's the case would any of you recommend a way to get a drive to go wirelessly? Would a NAS drive be the way to go?

I've tried NASs and never found one that played well with Macs (I'm sure they're out there, but I never found one!).

If it was me, I'd sell the Express on Adverts.ie or similar and buy an Extreme and the external drive of your choice. If the cost of an Extreme is an issue, take a look at the refurb ones on the Apple Store site - there's an old-model Extreme for the same price as a current-model refurbed Express: http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

Type 17 wrote: »
    I've tried NASs and never found one that played well with Macs (I'm sure they're out there, but I never found one!).

If it was me, I'd sell the Express on Adverts.ie or similar and buy an Extreme and the external drive of your choice. If the cost of an Extreme is an issue, take a look at the refurb ones on the Apple Store site - there's an old-model Extreme for the same price as a current-model refurbed Express: http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

The Express looks like it will do the job, but I have spoted Zyxel NAS drives on Amazon, all in €300 4TB that seem to be compatible with mac. I think I'd be more willing to get the NAS drive and Express to extend my network then sell it and buy an Express

• Advertisement

Fair enough, it's been a while since I was looking for a Mac-compatible NAS, I'm sure that there's a wider selection now.
    Just be sure that the features that you want actually apply to Macs too - a lot of the time, the list of features is in large print, but the small print states that features X, Y & Z only support Windows :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Type 17 wrote: »
    Fair enough, it's been a while since I was looking for a Mac-compatible NAS, I'm sure that there's a wider selection now.
    Just be sure that the features that you want actually apply to Macs too - a lot of the time, the list of features is in large print, but the small print states that features X, Y & Z only support Windows :mad:

Synology generally works very well with Macs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have a Synology connected into my Airport Extreme and it works perfect

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Another recommendation for a Synology Nas. I've one around six months now and I don't know how I went without one. Makes things so simple and works perfectly with my Mac, as well as around 8 different apps for iOS. After searching around they seemed to be the best of the lot.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Another recommendation for a Synology Nas. I've one around six months now and I don't know how I went without one. Makes things so simple and works perfectly with my Mac, as well as around 8 different apps for iOS. After searching around they seemed to be the best of the lot.

What model do you have and where did you get it in the end?

• Advertisement

Cjs21 wrote: »
    What model do you have and where did you get it in the end?

I waited for the new 2014 models and ended up picking up a DS214. My other two choices were the 214+ and 214Play. Both were more expensive though. I'm delighted with it and it does more than expected. My only problem was it didn't support Plex, even though I'd emailed Synology and was told that it did. I'd use it regularly for Plex tbh, but even without I still use it every day. My TV supports DNlA so I can stream all my files to it. It's definitely a great little device.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DubDJ wrote: »
    I waited for the new 2014 models and ended up picking up a DS214. My other two choices were the 214+ and 214Play. Both were more expensive though. I'm delighted with it and it does more than expected. My only problem was it didn't support Plex, even though I'd emailed Synology and was told that it did. I'd use it regularly for Plex tbh, but even without I still use it every day. My TV supports DNlA so I can stream all my files to it. It's definitely a great little device.

Strange, my 212J does.....

whiterebel wrote: »
    Strange, my 212J does.....

Yeah it's basically down to the new CPU architecture. It's up to the Plex team to actually make it compatible. It could come in the end but they've been less than helpful with any details. At the moment the 214Play is up officially supported but other than that no other 2014 Diskstation supports it.

Advertisement