Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Certificate/Upgrade?

Options
  • 23-04-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello everyone,

I'd like some assistance with the above please.

We've recently purchased a 4-bed bungalow which was build in mid-1970s, which we're planning to do up and have as a holiday home. Electrical supply was cut-off at end of 2012 so now trying to organise a reconnection for which I understand a wiring certificate if required. How much does this normally cost?

In addition, (since currently living in UK so not familiar with Irish regulations) given the time property was built, would wiring etc need to be upgraded? If so what are the requirements and again any estimates with costs etc as we're working on a budget?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Since you are doing up the house you could consider doing a rewire, alot of 70s wiring i have seen is attics strewn with bakelite joint boxes with badly terminated connections. Most single sockets used. Chances are alot of sockets on external walls are routed via the cavity as they didnt like chasing back then. You might have an old fuseboard which would need updating anyway.
    If you keep it nice and simple a 4 bed rewire would not cost the earth, the money you might spend bringing your installation up to to a pratical spec could go a long way in a new rewire
    Get an electrician to look over it and way up your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Saracena

Thanks very much for your reply.

The doing up is mainly cosmetic ie decorating and new carpets-nothing too extensive. Hot water cylinder in airing cupboard needs replacing. Although there's definitely an old fuse board (and I take your point about having it rewired) now, there weren't any problems with the electric ( we know the previous owners) before it was cut off so I'm wondering how likely an electrician is to recommend additional rewiring before issuing the certificate and how long it would take? Never had one done and wonder if it's a messy job so best done before the painting? Just trying to coordinate all the different tradesmen and the order of operations!

Advertisement