Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy eats everything

• 23-04-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I noticed the other day that my pup was actually eating turf and muck in the garden. She was not just breaking it up but eating it as well. Is this normal? She loves to dig and I am not sure if I should let her if she is eating muck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Wee monkey, yes, they will eat anything. Better muck than wooden table legs and shoes!

Give it a firm no when she eats the muck then a nice treat (rice, peanut butter, whatever she/he likes) when they stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnScamall

She tried to chew everything in the house when she was younger but knows she is not allowed. Its in the garden where she has free run that it is harder to manage... Ill try catch her a few times and it might sink in!!!

Just don't want her getting blocked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Normal, but I'd discourage her from eating/chewing anything that you do not allow her to. All you can do at this time is prevent it from happening, don't let her have access to things you don't want her to chew or if she is in an area where there are things you don't want her to chew, play with her, occupy her, because if you leave her to her own devices expect things to get chewed.
    Give her a few things with different textures to chew on.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Normal, but I'd discourage her from eating/chewing anything that you do not allow her to. All you can do at this time is prevent it from happening, don't let her have access to things you don't want her to chew or if she is in an area where there are things you don't want her to chew, play with her, occupy her, because if you leave her to her own devices expect things to get chewed.
    Give her a few things with different textures to chew on.

Ill try! She is 7 months now and has more free time in the garden. It is fenced in and secure so I have been letting her run about ... when we are in the house she would not eat anything while I am there and I dont leave anything out (learned that one!!!)

AnScamall wrote: »
    Ill try! She is 7 months now and has more free time in the garden. It is fenced in and secure so I have been letting her run about ... when we are in the house she would not eat anything while I am there and I dont leave anything out (learned that one!!!)

It could be in part chewing out of boredom if you don't go outside with her and play, dogs do love being outside (mainly for the freedom to run around I'd say), but they get more out of it if they have something to do, leave a dog to its own devices and it'll come up with ideas about how to amuse itself. A kong toy for a dog like that could be a great thing, stuff it with some nice things then freeze it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 grainne831

what is a kong toy and what would you stuff it with

grainne831 wrote: »
    what is a kong toy and what would you stuff it with

This is a Kong toy: http://ibostonterrier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/dog-kong-toys.gif You can get them in most pet shops. You can put pretty much anything in it, some people put peanut butter in it, some other people put their dog's dinner inside it (mostly wet food, I'd presume. Otherwise you might have to bind a dog's dry food with something sticky like a bit of peanut butter) especially if the dog eats too fast.

You can get them in lots of sizes and various strengths, there's "extreme" one's for dogs that are strong chewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Be careful with leaving her in the garden, if she's inclined to eat everything she might eat slugs, and they carry lungworm.

VonVix wrote: »
    It could be in part chewing out of boredom if you don't go outside with her and play, dogs do love being outside (mainly for the freedom to run around I'd say), but they get more out of it if they have something to do, leave a dog to its own devices and it'll come up with ideas about how to amuse itself. A kong toy for a dog like that could be a great thing, stuff it with some nice things then freeze it

She in an indoors dog but spends at least 2 hours in the garden playing... I am out for most of that time as although the property is secure she is a flight risk and really tries to go after birds (and bees) so I like to keep an eye and call her if she is trying to get over the wall etc... Me and my mam share a garden and her two dogs are out and playing with mine. They are oldish (about 9) but the male will dig with her and chase her about for a while.

AnScamall wrote: »
    She in an indoors dog but spends at least 2 hours in the garden playing... I am out for most of that time as although the property is secure she is a flight risk and really tries to go after birds (and bees) so I like to keep an eye and call her if she is trying to get over the wall etc... Me and my mam share a garden and her two dogs are out and playing with mine. They are oldish (about 9) but the male will dig with her and chase her about for a while.

She also gets two nice walks a day and loads of attention. I work from home and we have a nice routine and she has a few kong toys!!! I was really just surprised to see that she was eating the muck!

• Advertisement

Be careful with leaving her in the garden, if she's inclined to eat everything she might eat slugs, and they carry lungworm.

She got covered for that by the vets. She is a Husky and seven months old .. the only real off lead time she gets is in the garden and there is no way I would be able to keep up with her .. the garden is very big and she loves running around. I do play ball etc but she just loves digging and we have given her a nice pit where I was letting her at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My pup is the same. At times you could use her poo for kindling to light a fire! :p

Advertisement