Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs running after cars

• 23-04-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have dogs who constantly run after a car that passes my house in the country.

Is there anything I can do to put them
    Off? Some people told me throw water at them?

It's a nuisance because cars have to stop to drive past and then the dogs bite the car tyres

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Such dangerous (to the dogs) behaviour has to be stopped. The dogs could cause an accident which you might be liable for.

Is there a gate you can close??
    Can you put up a fence/wiring to keep them contained?
    Can they be contained to the back of the house?

They have obviously got into the habit of chasing cars (and BITING tires :eek:) - are they outside in the garden all day?

You are going to have to contain them, to keep them from getting on to the road somehow....
    Im sure someone will be along to tell you how to train them to not chase the cars, which will take time/committment on your part, but in the interim I think you need to look at restricting their access to the road asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Keep them in, close the gate or any of the other above suggestions. It's not rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭student89

I live on a farm the only access to the house and surroundings doesn't have gates at the entry.

Im not keeping dogs closed in esp on that weather. there is no point having dogs if they are going to be locked in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

There's not much point in having dogs either if they're going to get run over.

Nobody's suggesting you lock them in, just that they are secured on the property. Is it possible to fence the sides of the house off so that they can't get out the front or onto the road? A dog run is another good suggestion, they still get to be outside but are safe. It's irresponsible in the extreme to allow them to be chasing cars, I guarantee you someday they will get badly injured or killed and likely cause an accident in the process. It's illegal to allow dogs to roam too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

I live rural and I cycle to keep fit so when I get onto the road and a few hundred metres down the road I get three dogs from two houses that chase me on my bike barking like mad and generally scaring the ****e out of me. (I'm pretty scared of dogs anyway but will not let them dictate me going out on my bike)Two lassie type dogs and a Labrador dog. The Labrador is always roaming on the road anyway and a few times I've driven round the bend and it's there just standing in the road. None of these dogs are kept behind any gates despite both the property's having plenty on land for them to run around on. If I go running I have to drive to the next village where there are no dogs freely roaming the roads chasing cars or pedestrians out for walks/runs.
    The whole safety aspect for people and dogs should be paramount here. Who will you blame if you're dog gets run over and some poor unfortunate driver is devastated to have killed an animal. Imagine if a cyclist gets bitten and you as the owner gets sued because you're dog wasn't kept off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

bodhi085 wrote: »
    I live rural and I cycle to keep fit so when I get onto the road and a few hundred metres down the road I get three dogs from two houses that chase me on my bike barking like mad and generally scaring the ****e out of me. (I'm pretty scared of dogs anyway but will not let them dictate me going out on my bike)Two lassie type dogs and a Labrador dog. The Labrador is always roaming on the road anyway and a few times I've driven round the bend and it's there just standing in the road. None of these dogs are kept behind any gates despite both the property's having plenty on land for them to run around on. If I go running I have to drive to the next village where there are no dogs freely roaming the roads chasing cars or pedestrians out for walks/runs.
    The whole safety aspect for people and dogs should be paramount here. Who will you blame if you're dog gets run over and some poor unfortunate driver is devastated to have killed an animal. Imagine if a cyclist gets bitten and you as the owner gets sued because you're dog wasn't kept off the road.
    It's the kind of thing that gives dogs and dog owners a bad name, at least you are trying to put an end to it anyway OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

student89 wrote: »
    I live on a farm the only access to the house and surroundings doesn't have gates at the entry.

Im not keeping dogs closed in esp on that weather. there is no point having dogs if they are going to be locked in!!

And there's a high chance that your dogs will be killed because you refuse to contain them. You will be liable for any damage done to any car that knocks over your dogs, given that you effectively let them roam. Apart from losing your dogs you could be facing a hefty bill.

You could get a run to contain them http://cilldara.ie/, or get gates rather than contain them in a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Get one of those electronic dog fences, collar goes around dogs neck and if he passes a predetermined boundary point he gets a shock, he is free to wander within the boundary area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

unbelievable..says it all re this country

get a gate then!

i have a collie who would behave like this, but i care too much for her to allow her to get killed or injured.

owners should be licenced not the dogs...

It's the kind of thing that gives dogs and dog owners a bad name, at least you are trying to put an end to it anyway OP

no he isnt; see his second post.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Get gates or re home the dogs. Either way start taking responsibility. Absolutely appalling that you think it's ok to let your animals roam freely being a danger to other road users.

mikehn wrote: »
    Get one of those electronic dog fences, collar goes around dogs neck and if he passes a predetermined boundary point he gets a shock, he is free to wander within the boundary area.

The most unethical, cruel, unreliable "solution". A method that is already banned in Wales. As it is the OP has behavioural issues with his dogs, adding an electric shock to the already out of control dogs will highly likely have the effect that they will be even more aggressive than just biting tyres. And if they break through the barrier, which is a highly likely scenario, they will have absolutely no incentive to go back in to their yard. Sure why would they? They get another shock. No thanks, we'll just go and roam the countryside.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭beertons

mikehn wrote: »

They're no good plus I don't think shocking a dog is the answer. A bit of training wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 mqq

oh,a funny dog,maybe you have to spend time on training the dog,you can give him food or punishmen so that the dog listens to you.otherwise,tie up the dog.

mqq wrote: »
    oh,a funny dog,maybe you have to spend time on training the dog,you can give him food or punishmen so that the dog listens to you.otherwise,tie up the dog.

no need to tie him up; gate will do it. i once found my collie playing russian roulette with the school bus and gates went up fast. frustrated herding instinct with these dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

OP is it your farm or are you living on a family farm?

As this will impact massively the amount of influence you have on changing the dog's immediate environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

OP sorry im not much help (and obviously neither are the comments left here). But I sympathise with you, I have a similar issue with my dog. She chases motorbikes constantly! When cars and pushbikes go past, she doesn't flinch but as soon as a motorbike goes past she's gone like a light (thankfully we do have a garden so its only when im walking her that this happens and so is on a lead). But ignore all the comments saying just to train her! I do agility with my dog and to do agility you need a very good close relationship with your dog so Chip is very well trained but I just cannot snap this out of her. The dog is reacting because its her instinct. She doesn't know what she is doing could kill her! I have asked people who own motorbikes to come to the house so she can get used to the noise etc but still makes no difference when I get to the road.

unfortunately, I have no helpful advise for you except maybe get a training lead and keep her tied to that (so she has enough space to get a run around when outside the front). Or just sit out the front with her one day and maybe get someone to drive up and down past your house. Get her attention on you when the car is going past and praise her when she doesn't react (she may react slightly by looking but praise her anyway and take baby steps....the less reactive she is the more praise and treats she gets). This might help but I cannot guarantee that the problem will go away....it never went away with my dog although is 10 times better than what she used to be. Now she just lunges at it slightly as opposed to barking like mad and literally chasing it down the road like she used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

OP, you said "a car" is it just one particular car, or all vehicles that go past?

Ashbx wrote: »
    OP sorry im not much help (and obviously neither are the comments left here). But I sympathise with you, I have a similar issue with my dog. She chases motorbikes constantly! When cars and pushbikes go past, she doesn't flinch but as soon as a motorbike goes past she's gone like a light (thankfully we do have a garden so its only when im walking her that this happens and so is on a lead). But ignore all the comments saying just to train her! I do agility with my dog and to do agility you need a very good close relationship with your dog so Chip is very well trained but I just cannot snap this out of her. The dog is reacting because its her instinct. She doesn't know what she is doing could kill her! I have asked people who own motorbikes to come to the house so she can get used to the noise etc but still makes no difference when I get to the road.

unfortunately, I have no helpful advise for you except maybe get a training lead and keep her tied to that (so she has enough space to get a run around when outside the front). Or just sit out the front with her one day and maybe get someone to drive up and down past your house. Get her attention on you when the car is going past and praise her when she doesn't react (she may react slightly by looking but praise her anyway and take baby steps....the less reactive she is the more praise and treats she gets). This might help but I cannot guarantee that the problem will go away....it never went away with my dog although is 10 times better than what she used to be. Now she just lunges at it slightly as opposed to barking like mad and literally chasing it down the road like she used to.

Actually if you reread the thread, there's no comments berating the OP and saying "Just train the dog". They're telling the OP that the dogs shouldn't be allowed to roam. It's against the law and on the current behaviour is likely to cause an accident. Containment is the first step before training takes place. And leaving dogs tied up is a recipe for disaster, they could easily strangle themselves while left to their own devices, chew through the lead etc.

op if you had ever run over a dog you might know where many of us are coming from.

i once ran over a young farm dog on the lane where i lived. it was very early in the morning, going uphill and the dog just literally ran out and under the car. the wheels went over it and i had to reverse to release it. it ran off screaming

sounds i will never forget as long as i live.

please gate and fence off a decent area for your dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement