Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transaction limit on visa debit

Options
  • 23-04-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Is there one? I recently was in the UK and bought a motorbike with my debit card, Transaction was for about 5k sterling and my card was declined (despite having funds available and clearing it with my bank before I left). Tried a couple of more time and again it failed - The machine gave me a number to ring and they told me the same thing, transaction declined and advised I called my local branch. I called my branch and after a bit of confusion, I was told to try again and the transaction went through fine.

I'm now going to be buying a bike from the UK once again except this time I will be paying over the phone and having the bike shipped to me. I just rang the bank to clear it with them and they are saying there are transaction limits and they are not sure how to override them. I know it can be done as it worked last time so just looking for some advice as paying by debit card is the only hassle free option.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Don't think there's a limit but if your card shows up somewhere out of the norm I think the bank decline it as a safety measure.

I had a similar experience last summer, when abroad, and it was sorted once I contacted local branch. They advised me to inform the bank in advance of extended travel and visa debit use in future.

Good they're watching it, if slightly annoying to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi cojomo2,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

To clarify, you can spend up to the available funds on your account. 
    However some retailers may have their own limits. This can also require for the transaction to be taken in several amounts and/or it may also be necessary for them to ring their own authorisation centre.

If you need help with any further query, please just ask us.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement