Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vita: WiFi or 3G?

Options
  • 23-04-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a Vita for the first time this Friday. Would I be missing out on much if I get the WiFi version as opposed to the 3G one? Also, does the 3G Vita strip the WiFi from it, or does the 3G Vita come with WiFi as well?

Seems like a silly question, I know. But I have a tendency to dive into buying something without thinking of what its advantages and disadvantages are, leading to a potential sense of regret that I can't get away from.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Can't say that I've ever felt like i was missing out by not owning the 3G version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes the 3G Version comes with Wifi aswell.

Pop into Smyths they are doing the PS Vita plus the LEGO collections games for 169.99:

http://www.toys.ie/-PlayStation-Vita-Console-Plus-FREE-LEGO-Mega-Pack-!132249-prd.aspx

Login to the PS Store from your PC, if you are a PS Plus member and start availing of your free games right away :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have had the 3G Vita for 2 years now and I've never used the 3G. You can't use it to play games online so it's rather pointless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you have a phone with a decent data allowance just tether it to the vita, the 3G is pretty pointless. It'd take forever for a big game to download over it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Yeah, never bothered with the 3G either, it just happened that the 3g model was on offer in Argos. I doubt 3G would have the stable latency to make most games anyway enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They don't even have the option of 3g on the updated Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yes the 3G Version comes with Wifi aswell.

Pop into Smyths they are doing the PS Vita plus the LEGO collections games for 169.99:

http://www.toys.ie/-PlayStation-Vita-Console-Plus-FREE-LEGO-Mega-Pack-!132249-prd.aspx

Login to the PS Store from your PC, if you are a PS Plus member and start availing of your free games right away :)

Was thinking of getting this bundle myself. What kind of internal storage has this ? I've a PS+ account so would be downloading most games ? Does it come with an external mem card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

brianon wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this bundle myself. What kind of internal storage has this ? I've a PS+ account so would be downloading most games ? Does it come with an external mem card ?

If its the new one it has 1GB internal storage

1GB ? Sure that wouldn't hold diddley :(

1GB ? Sure that wouldn't hold diddley :(

Yeah I know but I think it would be more for your saves

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a good place (not online) to buy a vita currently ?

Can anyone recommend a good place (not online) to buy a vita currently ?

I got mine in HMV/Xtravision http://www.hmv.ie/playstation-xbox/ps-vita/psvita-console-megapack-no-layout-updates.html

and then I traded in Infamous Second son.I got mine for 130

I got mine in HMV/Xtravision http://www.hmv.ie/playstation-xbox/ps-vita/psvita-console-megapack-no-layout-updates.html

and then I traded in Infamous Second son.I got mine for 130

In terms of storage. Is 8G enough. I've PS+ and keep missing out on Vita games.

I actually got a 16 GB card with it.

I am wondering about 8G cause argos have an offer with teh Lego Bundle that comes with 8G Mem card.

Can mem cards be changed easily? Could I buy another 16G card (down the line) and keep some games on it and some on the 8G ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I got the 3G Vita in the end. I know the online latency is probably horrible with it as I have an E connection where I live. It was mainly for when I'm out and about I can just keep the Vita connected to PSN no matter where I am. Never planned on playing online with it. In fact I never planned on playing online at all with the Vita.

As for the 8GB memory card query: I got the 8GB one. It's not so much a big deal which size you have if you only buy physical copies of games. I got MGS HD Collection on physical and it only needed like 1-2MB of space. I have 4 downloaded games on mine.

To be comfortable, I would consider purchasing the 16gb or a second 8gb if you plan on downloading a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

You don't have to miss out on them, buy them of click download/purchase or whatever the button says and even though you won't have enough space to download it will still be purchased and available for you to download at any time your ready.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies.

Advertisement