Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Lawn clogged with fine grass/moss

• 23-04-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I think I made a mistake some years back when I topped up my lawn with extra fine grass.... the original grass was standard bent variety.

Now when I cut the grass tight there is a bed of black, spongy moss which is preventing grass growth. The top is straw-like with only a few blades of actual green grass sticking through. Beneath is sponge of black/dark brown moss and mesh of roots.

The extra fine grass seems to have created an air-blocking bed with moss now spreading in dark patches.

What can I do with this?
    I've gone mad today and cut it back to as tight as possible, leaving a back/dark brown mess exposed. 1/2" tall.

Should I proceeded to kill it all with weed killer and then attempt to re-seed in a month?

Or can leave it and re-seed with standard grass? But I suspect the problem will return unless I get rid of the air-blocking moss and fine grass.

Thanks folks, advice needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭trackerman

trackerman wrote: »
    I think I made a mistake some years back when I topped up my lawn with extra fine grass.... the original grass was standard bent variety.

Now when I cut the grass tight there is a bed of black, spongy moss which is preventing grass growth. The top is straw-like with only a few blades of actual green grass sticking through. Beneath is sponge of black/dark brown moss and mesh of roots.

The extra fine grass seems to have created an air-blocking bed with moss now spreading in dark patches.

What can I do with this?
    I've gone mad today and cut it back to as tight as possible, leaving a back/dark brown mess exposed. 1/2" tall.

Should I proceeded to kill it all with weed killer and then attempt to re-seed in a month?

Or can leave it and re-seed with standard grass? But I suspect the problem will return unless I get rid of the air-blocking moss and fine grass.

Thanks folks, advice needed.

Photo attached

I'm no expert but I've had a similar problem. I killed moss with iron sulphide. Raked it all out. then I broke up the soil with a hand cultivator. I'm going to spread seed and rake it in. maybe a bit of fertilizer too.

On a side note I never cut grass tight. If you have a lawn back again after repairs cut it regular with the mower on a high setting. it always looks a lot healthier. a darker green compared to more yellowy colour when cut tight. A small manageable area like this should never be cut too tight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,846 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't forget that it you keep cutting grass very short, the roots won't develop to the same depth and it will be less able to outcompete the moss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Fine grass and tight manicuring are really for that perfect English garden/ bowling green look. Beautiful but very high maintenance and difficult to achieve. Best going for a mix of fine and utility type seed.

Ok, thanks for the comments, all noted.

So I need to treat with iron sulphide until the moss is killed off then start again with some good hardy grass.

I know the tight cut was overkill, but at least it allowed me to get 4 large green bags of moss lifted up, raking that would have been almost impossible.

Cheers & beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'd suggest aerating the soil with a pitch fork. moss is generally caused by poor drainage, so you will have the same problem next year if you don't.

After you aerate it, brush in some lawn sand. it will help with drainage, help kill the moss, and help green the grass.

Cheers thanks for that tip, sounds logical and fairly easy to do.!

R

Advertisement