Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Scotland has 52 out of 600 MPs in Westminster. Approx 9%, so even if all Scottish MPs agree on something they can be outvoted 10 times over.

I would most definitely call that being ruled over.

So, again then, northern Ireland would be mad to vote for unification then? Independence is their best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

So, again then, northern Ireland would be mad to vote for unification then? Independence is their best option.

Apples and oranges but whatever happens we live in a democracy and the democratic will of the people will have to be respected.

Comparing the two is facile and intentionally so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

So hard to read London some times.
    So perfidious and duplicitous, tis hard to know if any offer is genuine.

If I was making the call I'd go for the offer of partial independence but only with the agreement to a rerun of the referendum next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Hardly, seeing as, unlike Scotland, NI pays only approx 6k per head in taxes, while costing the UK gov 10.5k per head.

No one wants the British created cess pit that is NI, the UK are currently stuck with them, but unlike Scotland, NI is not self sustaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

What country rules Scotland presently then?

the COUNTRY that controls the check book??,the scottish revenue all goes to London,who then returns a block grant to the Scottish government to spend,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The coverage of this really seems to have notched up in the last few days, I now expects the vested interests of the British media to do whatever they see fit to try and scare Scotland into voting No. Up to now, I think the same vested interests strategy was to try to give the referendum as little attention as possible.

If anyone wants to see any example of that scare tactic, the Daily Mail does a pretty good job of it

The scare tactics have been going for months and months. It's called #projectfear

kingchess wrote: »
    the COUNTRY that controls the check book??,the scottish revenue all goes to London,who then returns a block grant to the Scottish government to spend,

Which country is that? Last I heard, London is a city.

It's not really like that though is it? The Scots can elect their own representatives to Westminster who have a say on what goes on there. I wouldn't call that being ruled over.

But don't influence the outcome of General Elections. Presently the Tories are in power, we've only one Tory in Scotland

Which country is that? Last I heard, London is a city.

Don't be facetious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Don't be facetious..

You're being facetious. You may as well say Edinburgh opresses Glasgow sincere former has control of the latters finances. Newsflash. That's how every country in the world works.

• Advertisement

Don't be facetious..

Is it a difficult question then?

But don't influence the outcome of General Elections. Presently the Tories are in power, we've only one Tory in Scotland

We've just come out of a decade of rule by Labour with consecutive Scottish prime ministers. I presume that's ok, but elect a government you don't like and suddenly it's poor old Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're being facetious. You may as well say Edinburgh opresses Glasgow sincere former has control of the latters finances. Newsflash. That's how every country in the world works.

Scotland is a country, it is in a union with another country that is obviously unequal therefore a decision is to be made if Scotland would like self-determination

We've just come out of a decade of rule by Labour with consecutive Scottish prime ministers. I presume that's ok, but elect a government you don't like and suddenly it's poor old Scotland.

It would only be the same if the majority of MP's from England were Tory and only by Labour MP's from Scotland would Labour govern. That is not what happened and you well know it.

Scotland is a country, it is in a union with another country that is obviously unequal therefore a decision is to be made if Scotland would like self-determination

Two other countries and a sort of semi country I think you'll find. There's four unique members of the union.

It would only be the same if the majority of MP's from England were Tory and only by Labour MP's from Scotland would Labour govern. That is not what happened and you well know it.

No, but it seems that Scotland only go on about Tory rule being unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yep, some very good points he made there - the NO side have to be careful now not to push neutrals into the YES side ... their credibility seems to be on shaky ground even as it is.

Two other countries and a sort of semi country I think you'll find. There's four unique members of the union.

I put Wales into the same 'sort of semi country' as well

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

When the lad said London he meant the centre of power - he was been facetious

• Advertisement

No, but it seems that Scotland only go on about Tory rule being unfair.

Even if it was Labour, we voted SNP. Could SNP get a majority in Westminister?

The SNP have only ever had one majority in Scotland and that's on the back of Labour bankrupting the country and the liberals selling out.

When the lad said London he meant the centre of power - he was been facetious

Maybe you could answer "the lad" is struggling to answer. Which country rules Scotland?

I am curious but when did Wales vote to join the Union??the year and Date if you would be so good:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

There's an issue relating to this topic that I often wonder about.

Presuming the Scots vote yes in this referendum (although IMO they will probably end up saying no), and secedes from the UK, will it still be regarded as the UK? Will the rump state of England, NI and Wales still refer to itself as a United Kingdom? Will the overall demonym still be "British"?

I think most would agree that whatever state emerges from Scotland's departure will have to undergo some rebranding.

I am curious but when did Wales vote to join the Union??the year and Date if you would be so good:rolleyes:

Dunno, don't care. Probably about the time they started kicking the hornets nest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Presuming the Scots vote yes in this referendum (although IMO they will probably end up saying no), and secedes from the UK, will it still be regarded as the UK? Will the rump state of England, NI and Wales still refer to itself as a United Kingdom? Will the overall demonym still be "British"?

I think most would agree that whatever state emerges from Scotland's departure will have to undergo some rebranding.

Well it certainly wouldn't be united any more.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain minus Scotland and Ireland minus most of Ireland"

Has a good ring to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The national side are really doing their bit to put fire into the belly of the Scots - preforming wonderfully well against the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Britain and Northern Ireland - BNI or EWNI, doesn't have the same ring as UK though

I wonder what it feels like for the Brits to feel Scotland slipping away from their grasp forever ?

Maybe you could answer "the lad" is struggling to answer. Which country rules Scotland?

I think being the dominant country, yes England seems to rule the Union

• Advertisement

England seem to be dominant in Westminster or "London"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I hope they vote Yes, then the Welsh and then the English could wake up and get to grips with the fact they've been slaves to Eton, Oxbridge, Rupert Murdoch and the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Well it certainly wouldn't be united any more.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain minus Scotland and Ireland minus most of Ireland"

Has a good ring to it :pac:

The United Kingdom of Southern Britain and Northern Ireland.

just call it Little Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Will be known as Britain......... still counts for 2/3 the landmass. Simple and snappy term for the rump UK

just call it Little Britain

A (small) country is born !

I think being the dominant country, yes England seems to rule the Union

Despite a decade of Scottish prime ministers?

dd972 wrote: »
    I hope they vote Yes, then the Welsh and then the English could wake up and get to grips with the fact they've been slaves to Eton, Oxbridge, Rupert Murdoch and the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's.

You forgot the Rothschilds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

EunanMac wrote: »
    I wonder what it feels like for the Brits to feel Scotland slipping away from their grasp forever ?

Impression i get is the regular Brit isn't that bothered.

I get the opposite impression

• Advertisement

Capture.jpg

She is the 1st Queen Elizabeth of Scotland and under Salmond's plan for independence, she will still be the 1st Queen of Scotland

Who is the regular Brit?

Despite a decade of Scottish prime ministers?

You are conflating Prime Ministers who are Scottish with those who act in Scotland's interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Renamed to the kingdom of innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen, purely due to the vagueness of it all.

The concept of "we'll figure it out later" as regards the currency especially doesn't exactly inspire confidence - how long in advance was the Euro switch-over planned here? (And that was with consensus between the affected parties).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

kefir32 wrote: »
    Britain and Northern Ireland - BNI or EWNI, doesn't have the same ring as UK though

So it'll almost certainly stay as "UK".

eeepaulo wrote: »

I thought the odds would be around evens, worth a punt at those odds, the bookies are in for a hiding if there is a yes vote

Capture.jpg

She is the 1st Queen Elizabeth of Scotland and under Salmond's plan for independence, she will still be the 1st Queen of Scotland

She isn't Queen of Scotland currently, nor is she Queen of England. She's Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

• Advertisement

In the 2010 UK General Election, 42% of the Scottish electorate voted Labour, but only 20% voted SNP, 19% voted LibDem and 17% voted Conservative. So SNP weren't exactly winners there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement