Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Scotland is a country, it is in a union with another country that is obviously unequal therefore a decision is to be made if Scotland would like self-determination

Scotland is a region of a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Like Ireland was a region of a country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

No, Scotland is a country. The UK is a sovereign state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Oh Dear :eek::confused::pac:

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    Well Salmond has claimed the English side wouldn't let Devo Max be on the ballot paper when the referendum was proposed a couple of years ago. So they presumably just assumed a vote on independence would fail but Devo Max might pass. Which makes their current offers of more devolution look more ridiculous

They (UK Government) were patting themselves on the back that they thwarted 'Salmond's consolation prize'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10224305/Dont-give-Salmond-the-consolation-prize-he-craves.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No, Scotland is a country. The UK is a sovereign state.

Scotland is a region of the United Kingdom as the UK is a sovereign country. That is how I see it. Same with Wales and the North.

Scotland is a region of the United Kingdom as the UK is a sovereign country. That is how I see it. Same with Wales and the North.

You can see it how you like but you are wrong Scotland is a country in its own right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I suspect that you're both correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

It's the united kingdom, not untied region

Were Ireland, India, etc. etc. regions or countries before independence ?

• Advertisement

EunanMac wrote: »
    It's the united kingdom, not untied region

Was Ireland a region or a country before independence ?

Region in Ireland's case as part of UK. It's a simple fact that London is the sovereign parliament of the UK and Scotland has a regional parliament. It's a region, not a country. That could change in 10 days though.

Region. It's a simple fact that London is the sovereign parliament of the UK and Scotland has a regional parliament. It's a region, not a country. That could change in 10 days though.

What was india etc. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

The English side?

It isn't rugby.

The crowd in London then

Region in Ireland's case as part of UK. It's a simple fact that London is the sovereign parliament of the UK and Scotland has a regional parliament. It's a region, not a country. That could change in 10 days though.

It is a country in a union with England. I suggest you have a wee read of the act of union might put you straight

EunanMac wrote: »
    What was india etc. ?

Colony I guess. India was not part of the UK. It was part of the commonwealth.

You can be a country and not have sovereign status, feck me this is inter cert stuff

• Advertisement

Colony I guess. India was not part of the UK. It was part of the commonwealth.

I suggest you drop down to ordinary level trolling for the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The United Kingdom of Great Britain And Ireland was only created in 1801 when Ireland joined (and it's name changed when we left), prior to that the Kingdom of Great Britain was the term used to describe the older 1707 Union of Scotland & England. So if Scotland stayed and NI left, it would no longer be the United Kingdom as that term was created when Ireland joined.

The format would still be the United Kingdom of _____ & Northern Ireland. What the 'blank' would be... I cannae say. The naming dispute between Ireland and the NI/UK was never resolved, so it's likely there will be no agreed outcome.
    The naming dispute between Ireland and the UK was resolved with the Good Friday agreement if I recall correctly

Moving on from inter cert geography, have a look at this nugget from the No campaign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnAeASoPigM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Scotland was an independent country with her own Royalty. She joined with Britain and Ireland and Wales in the act of Union to form the UK.

Ireland was invaded and planted, the North [as in the North] never was a separate country though an Ulster Kingdom did exist and later under one Irish Kingdom [United Ireland if one wills].

Ireland and later the North [especially the North] never did have a real say in entering the UK ~ Scotland and Wales did.

Some historians suggest that England and Wales should have joined Scotland.

You can be a country and not have sovereign status, feck me this is inter cert stuff

I don't think so. Can you show me an example of a country without sovereign status? That is nonsense to me. Others may think differently but a country to me is sovereign and that's it.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Scotland was an independent country with her own Royalty. She joined with Britain and Ireland and Wales in the act of Union to form the UK.

You mean England?

Can you show me an example of a country without sovereign status?

Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Folks, if you think someone is trolling, please report them. Calling them out on thread is itself a breach of the charter, thanks

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I don't think so. Can you show me an example of a country without sovereign status? That is nonsense to me. Others may think differently but a country to me is sovereign and that's it.

Scotland, England, Catalonia, Euskara, Galicia, Quebec, Aland, South Ossetia, Transnistria... And on and on it goes.

Nationhood and Sovereignty are two similar concepts but not the same thing. If you can't grasp that then why are you in here talking about Scottish independence?

Scotland

Well I disagree. I don't mean to hurt your sensibilities but to me a "country" is the sovereign entity. I understand you have a different view. Fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Well I disagree. I don't mean to hurt your sensibilities but to me a "country" is the sovereign entity. I understand you have a different view. Fine.

A sovereign is a ruler of a nation, a King or Queen or a Royal succession is the sovereignty. Such a system is usually held together by force of arms and a degree of tyranny.

A sovereign may have a parliament whom they can command or they may be subject to, whilst being a figure head. In this case the government claims to be a sovereign state and power resides in elections.

A country may overthrow their Royalty and proclaim themselves a sovereign country [as they have seized it from the King/Queen in revolt] and they may then elect a President with or without Sovereign Powers, Obama in the USA is a Sovereign [pretending to be subject to parliament], Queen Elizabeth is a Sovereign who IS subject to HER Parliament [who then pretend that she is sovereign].

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Can we shelve the discussion on weather Scotland is or isn't a real country? people are becoming entrenched and it really adds nothing. Also, it could be a moot point in ten days anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

If they go Yes,the shock-waves will reverberate for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If there is a Yes vote it will be one of the most momentous events in the hstory of these islands. It really would be a massive event if Scotlasnd actually left the UK, and I'm not sure that people fully understand the enormity of an exit, or the implications for Scotland & whats left of the UK.

From the armed forces to the NHS, to the stability of NI, to the UKs place on the world stage, to an independent scotlands economic threat to the ROI. Then there's Camerons position as PM (of the remainder of the UK) which would be seriously called into question!

Scotlands exit might also spur other regions/countries in europe to consider seperation too, which wouldn't be too popular in Spain & Italy for example.

Hopefully Scotland will stay in the Union with the offer of 'Devo Max' saving the day. Devo Max really should have been on the ballot paper IMO.

Scotland is a region of the United Kingdom with a regional assembly.

India, Burma etc. Were colonies as they were never formally part of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Scotland is a region of the United Kingdom with a regional assembly.

India, Burma etc. Were colonies as they were never formally part of the UK.

Its a Parliament actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What was India before 1948? Egypt in the 19th century? "The Kingdom of Ireland" in the 18th century?

LordSutch wrote: »
    with the offer of 'Devo Max' saving the day. Devo Max really should have been on the ballot paper IMO.

Hmmm, taking Salmond's consolation prize away was too big a trophy for the UK Government / BT / NT / UKOK

Only Cameron to blame for that one

This hand has been played before and there is nothing to suggest Devo Max will happen

feargale wrote: »
    What was India before 1948? Egypt in the 19th century? "The Kingdom of Ireland" in the 18th century?

Colony, colony and kingdom/region.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Pro Independence camp is now ahead in latest polls. The Sterling took its largest one day fall in years over market fears Scotland will vote for independence

Pro Independence camp is now ahead in latest polls. The Sterling took its largest one day fall in years over market fears Scotland will vote for independence

A separate poll by the Yes Scotland campaign put the pro-union vote ahead by 4 points.

A separate poll by the Yes Scotland campaign put the pro-union vote ahead by 4 points.

All to play for in the last few days so, who would have thought it only a couple of months ago?

GaelMise wrote: »
    All to play for in the last few days so, who would have thought it only a couple of months ago?

Heck even a month ago the pro-union side were up by 20 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The Scots are basically the Kurds of the UK/EU , except they speak the same language as their neighbours and don't have a proverb that says "We have no friends but the mountains", and there isn't a Kurdish equivalent of the McDonald's product "Spicy McHaggis" which inspired a song by Dropkick Murphys who are actually American but identify with Ireland and we all get along so well and so can a newly independent Scotland, but it's not as simple as that.
    I write that as a warning.

In the days ahead, look out for similar drivel appearing in an op-ed newspaper column near you.

• Advertisement

Heck even a month ago the pro-union side were up by 20 points.

It seems that in the period where people really start to make up their minds, the pro-union lead turned out to be fairly soft.

GaelMise wrote: »
    It seems that in the period where people really start to make up their minds, the pro-union lead turned out to be fairly soft.

Yeah I would agree with that. It seems the yes side did a better job of convincing the "don't knows" than the no side.

LordSutch wrote: »
    If there is a Yes vote it will be one of the most momentous events in the hstory of these islands. It really would be a massive event if Scotlasnd actually left the UK, and I'm not sure that people fully understand the enormity of an exit, or the implications for Scotland & whats left of the UK.

From the armed forces to the NHS, to the stability of NI, to the UKs place on the world stage, to an independent scotlands economic threat to the ROI. Then there's Camerons position as PM (of the remainder of the UK) which would be seriously called into question!

Scotlands exit might also spur other regions/countries in europe to consider seperation too, which wouldn't be too popular in Spain & Italy for example.

Hopefully Scotland will stay in the Union with the offer of 'Devo Max' saving the day. Devo Max really should have been on the ballot paper IMO.

Yep it's amazing to think we could be living through the breakup of the UK, something nobody would really have thought possible even a few years ago. Now it looks a distinct possibility

Yeah I would agree with that. It seems the yes side did a better job of convincing the "don't knows" than the no side.

Would still be failry surprised if they vote for independance on the day though. The union was kept together in the mind for a long time by a feeling of 'it can't be done, it'll never happen'. Scots are beginning to realise that they really can put an end to the union if they want to, which is still a bit surreal for many. Having come to it though, it still remains to be seen if they are able to take the last step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

See the royals have lined up a new sprogg in response to the crisis, can't fault them for effort

More comedy gold from https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Or maybe people are thinking "if we say yes in the polls, we'll get promised more and more, even though we will vote no". They'd be daft not to in fairness.

Or maybe people are thinking "if we say yes in the polls, we'll get promised more and more, even though we will vote no". They'd be daft not to in fairness.
    People as a group aren't that logical.
    GaelMise wrote:
    Would still be failry surprised if they vote for independance on the day though. The union was kept together in the mind for a long time by a feeling of 'it can't be done, it'll never happen'. Scots are beginning to realise that they really can put an end to the union if they want to, which is still a bit surreal for many. Having come to it though, it still remains to be seen if they are able to take the last step.
    Same. I think on the day most will vote to keep the union.

Jesus that is some level of grasping

The BBC has shed it's veneer of public service broadcasting

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    Jesus that is some level of grasping

I presumed he was extracting the urine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement