Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The barrel being well and truly scraped

Capturesdrgtwe.jpg

'Former prime minister Tony Blair has urged voters in Scotland to opt for staying in the UK'

Can't argue with that. :rolleyes:

I wonder has his wife fiddled any charities lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

First Up wrote: »
    I guess "fearmongering" is any fact or opinion you don't like.
    What's the opposite - "dreammongering"?

Ahh yes, that's the kind of thing. Scream "What about Badgers? They'll turn cannibal" and scream "DOOOOOOOM!" over anyone trying to answer, while somebody else throws in another apocalyptic scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

Whenever I hear accusations of scaremongering, it just translates to 'we have no argument against that statement' for me. I hope the electorate take heed of these warning instead of dismissing them as 'scaremongering'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Would you accept that many of the people who will be voting in the referendum do not see the above group of people as having their particular interests at heart?

What are you getting at? Those offshore bank accounts and corporate tax loopholes ,to name a few, are just conspiracy theories. Like the staged Moon Landing and Eskimos, they're just fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It's now a simple choice between:

1) A protest vote against the current UK government ("They don't like it up 'em!)

2) A grim depression in the economy ("We're doomed!")

3) An overstated grim depression in the economy that can be dealt with ("Don't panic!")

4) Devo Max without a real vote for Scotland or plans for similar devolution plans in the rest of the UK ("Is that wise, sir?")

5) An inquiry into whether any Scottish Nationalist other than Alex Salmond or Nicola Sturgeon has a fish-based surname. ("Don't tell him, Pike!")

Copyright Donkey Oaty Dad's Army Rip-Offs 2014 All Rights Reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Her Royal Highness of Majesty, The Queen of England is keeping shtum, while she Queens from her Scottish pad (Balmoral). I'm not sure about the rest of them.

Nigel Farage of UKIP fame has taken a break from demonising gays and all non-whites to call on her most gracious and majestic excellency to speak out. There are fears that she has become reclusive, and doesn't want to speak to anybody. Some reports are saying that she won't wear her crown, she keeps hiding it about the vast palace. The help have employed sniffer dogs on several occasions to hunt down the precious crown, but I digress.

Maybe Farage can join forces with those other stalwarts of national pride the BNP and crush the uppity Scots.

However, I do wonder why Farage would be against a nation looking towards independence when he has been most vocal on the UK leaving Europe? It's not like he's a bigoted, racist hypocrite. Is it?

When you run out of things to say, you can always try crying racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It's now a simple choice between:

1) A protest vote against the current UK government ("They don't like it up 'em!)

2) A grim depression in the economy ("We're doomed!")

3) An overstated grim depression in the economy that can be dealt with ("Don't panic!")

4) Devo Max without a real vote for Scotland or plans for similar devolution plans in the rest of the UK ("Is that wise, sir?")

5) An inquiry into whether any Scottish Nationalist other than Alex Salmond or Nicola Sturgeon has a fish-based surname. ("Don't tell him, Pike!")

Copyright Donkey Oaty Dad's Army Rip-Offs 2014 All Rights Reserved

Whatever about the rest, Devo Max is not on the agenda

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92173610&postcount=1352

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

35cent wrote: »
    Whenever I hear accusations of scaremongering, it just translates to 'we have no argument against that statement' for me. I hope the electorate take heed of these warning instead of dismissing them as 'scaremongering'.

So when you have no evidence, just pile in with more scare mongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Her Royal Highness of Majesty, The Queen of England is keeping shtum, while she Queens from her Scottish pad (Balmoral). I'm not sure about the rest of them.

I think you mean HRH Queen Elizabeth 1st of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

well,Scotland will not be able to watch the BBC if they vote yes.or so I heard.

• Advertisement

I think you mean HRH Queen Elizabeth 1st of Scotland.

why then is she always called Elizabeth the second ??i

ICM poll for tomorrow's Sunday Telegraph puts Yes at 54% and No at 46% excluding Don't Knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

kingchess wrote: »

Queen of Scots.

because she is the 2nd Queen Elizabeth in England and most people equate England to mean the UK therefore she is known as QE 2nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J66YAvWK3s

Skip to 1:35

This made me laugh on newsnight the other night

I think he is kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

And now the weather....

North.

South. SCORCHIO :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What other dirty tricks does the London government have up it's sleeve to get a No ?

because she is the 2nd Queen Elizabeth in England and most people equate England to mean the UK therefore she is known as QE 2nd

yes I know-that was my point,most people equate England to the UK.I suppose with the bulk of the population,seat of Government etc it is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That has to be bullcrap. Shur you can watch it here in Ireland no bother

They might do away with their Scottish division, BBC Alba.. but that would be the height of it. I doubt they'd even do that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

snubbleste wrote: »
    What other dirty tricks does the London government have up it's sleeve to get a No ?

Expect them to try their last desperate smear attempts this week.
    They have nothing but negativity to add to the debate.

I heard they can come to Ireland to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

The SNP have promised they will join the EU and NATO asap.

So they will be ruled by Brussels, and be a member of a global terror network.

You can watch the BBC in Holland. Can you get it in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

tiger55 wrote: »
    You can watch the BBC in Holland. Can you get it in Ireland?

Yes we all use the same satelitte

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

Piliger wrote: »
    So when you have no evidence, just pile in with more scare mongering.
    Several large companies and financial institutions detailing the possible outcomes of an independent Scotland should be listened to instead of ignored surely. I'm not saying everything they say will come to pass but dismissing their comments entirely seems unwise to me.

• Advertisement

EunanMac wrote: »
    I heard they can come to Ireland to watch it

no-not with the Border checkpoints and passport controls:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

She's Queen Elizabeth the second of England and Queen Elizabeth the first of Scotland.

It appears that the BBC has banned the Proclaimers song 'Cap in Hand' from their 1988 Sunshine on Leith album. There was a campaign to get the song into the charts this week

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    She's Queen Elizabeth the second of England and Queen Elizabeth the first of Scotland.

Therefore QE 1st of the UK

Therefore QE 1st of the UK
    No such thing. The UK is a union of three kingdoms, which you already know.

• Advertisement

no-not with the Border checkpoints and passport controls:D

You don't need them to go to england, and never did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh, she'll be Queen Elizabeth II of Scotland..same as she is Queen Elizabeth II of Canada

I do know that so what are the Daily Telegraph saying here

I think the American model would work well going forward within the UK, have four separate parliaments for the four historic regions and Westminster acting as the federal parliament.

Of course this would require a formal constitution be drafted but I don't believe that would be such a bad thing. It would strengthen the Union in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

35cent wrote: »
    Several large companies and financial institutions detailing the possible outcomes of an independent Scotland should be listened to instead of ignored surely. I'm not saying everything they say will come to pass but dismissing their comments entirely seems unwise to me.

the right of nations to self-determination far outweighs any economic considerations…for example germany would never have re-united purely by economic logic…
    i think that, should scotland actually become independent again, future generations of scots would see september 18th 2014 as scotland’s finest hour…

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    the right of nations to self-determination far outweighs any economic considerations…for example germany would never have re-united purely by economic logic…
    i think that, should scotland actually become independent again, future generations of scots would see september 18th 2014 as scotland’s finest hour…
    Does it though?

In the US it is illegal for a state to secede from the Union. Should this referendum fail a similar constitution could be drafted for the UK to strengthen the Union and remove the possibility of something like this happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And if the people of that nation determine that their future is best as part of a union?

poor Wales-never gets any recognition.

poor Wales-never gets any recognition.
    Wales isn't a kingdom. It's a principality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Does it though?

In the US it is illegal for a state to secede from the Union. Should this referendum fail a similar constitution could be drafted for the UK to strengthen the Union and remove the possibility of something like this happening again.

And what happens then if Texas for example declares independence.If they declare they are no longer part of the USA then surely the laws of the USA no longer apply to a state that has decided to break from the union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

And if the people of that nation determine that their future is best as part of a union?

No doubt us the yes voters would be magnanimous in defeat - not so sure the same will be said of the no's:-)

The 1st king on the UK was Scottish BTW

Does it though?

yeah, the us had its share of that in 1861/65, but there are no nations as such (in the european sense) in the us, though i’d like to see texas go for it again…and once a people rises up, a constitution is worth less than the paper it’s written on…or do you think that for example east germany had its own failure and dissolution anchored in its constitution…?!

then so be it…

And what happens then if Texas for example declares independence.If they declare they are no longer part of the USA then surely the laws of the USA no longer apply to a state that has decided to break from the union.
    It's a legal grey area but there is a very interesting court case involving Texas post-civil war that stated Texas never legally left the union and has been a member ever since it joined.

In that precedence it's widely accepted that succession by any state is simply illegal, there is no mechanic by which it can be done.

Wales isn't a kingdom. It's a principality.

Well actually neither is NI which leaves 2

yeah, the us had its share of that in 1861/65, but there are no nations as such (in the european sense) in the us, though i’d like to see texas go for it again…and once a people rises up, a constitution is worth less than the paper it’s written on…or do you think that for example east germany had its own failure and dissolution anchored in its constitution…?!
    The South rose prior to the civil war and the constitution of the US turned out to be worth a lot more than the paper it's written on. But that's the thing about constitutions, they provide stability because when you write a constitution you lay out what can and can't be done within the Union and suddenly you have a lot of men with guns who are ready to enforce the word of the constitution.

As for East Germany, desire for unification with the West was far from universal so it's a bit deceptive to say the people rose up.

Well actually neither is NI which leaves 2
    It is. Northern Ireland is included in the Queen's title.

[...]
    As for East Germany, desire for unification with the West was far from universal so it's a bit deceptive to say the people rose up.

more than enough of the east germans did…and thank god, odin or whoever for that…

• Advertisement

It is. Northern Ireland is included in the Queen's title.

makey uppy stuff

Did you not want to comment on that Daily Telegraph article?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement