Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

EU

Was that E meant to be an F?

You are the one comparing United States (federal system), Belgium (federal system) & Austrailia (federal system) with the UK (non-federal system). It is quite clear that the federal systems are better equipped at dealing with disparate nations / states

Scotland has a reinstated Parliament with some devolved powers from Westminster. That does not equate to federalism

We are not being asked to vote on Federalism or Devo Max, we are being asked to vote on the the existing arrangement or independence. I have chosen independence from that choice.

The UK never developed a federal government, but Scotland is essentially a de facto 'state' within the UK. It has it's own legal system, church and government, and as much freedom to create law as any australian state.

I do agree the UK would be wise to formalise federation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Nor is is clear how the Union harms Scotland.
    Seems it is very clear to those intending to vote Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

as a de facto state it should not cost too much to become a" real state"??

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Seems it is very clear to those intending to vote Yes.

Oh yeah, you are right. Lots of people are going to vote Yes, so it's obvious the union is bad for scotland.

Just like in 2007 it was obvious the Fianna Fail were doing a fantastic job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The UK never developed a federal government, but Scotland is essentially a de facto 'state' within the UK. It has it's own legal system, church and government, and as much freedom to create law as any australian state.

I do agree the UK would be wise to formalise federation.

Scotland is seen as a 'subsidy junkie' by the main part of the union. Even the No side are stating 'Vote No as we Scots get £1,200 spending per head over the rest of the UK' and 'Scottish people are not genetically programmed to make decisions for ourselves'. This is because the Scottish Parliament introduces different policies to the rest of the UK on devolved matters (eg prescription charges, eye test charges).

The devolved and reserved powers are here and listed below

Devolved powers
    The following areas are decided in Scotland.

Health
    Education
    Housing
    Sport and Arts
    Agriculture, Forestry & Fishing
    Emergency Services
    Planning
    Social Work
    Heritage
    some Transport
    Tourism

Reserved powers
    Decisions (mostly about matters with a UK or international impact) are reserved and dealt with at Westminster.

Defence
    UK Foreign Policy
    Social Security
    Financial & Economic Matters
    Employment
    Constitutional matters
    Immigration & Nationality
    Monetary System
    Common Markets
    Some transport
    Data Protection
    Energy
    Gambling
    Medical Ethics
    Equal Opportunities
    The UK Parliament at Westminster retains power to legislate on any matter, but the convention of devolution is that the UK Parliament will not normally legislate on devolved matters without the consent of the Scottish Parliament.

kingchess wrote: »
    as a de facto state it should not cost too much to become a" real state"??

If you are asking about the costs of actually creating the institutions of state then yes they are a drop in the ocean.

The costs of leaving the UK are real and hard to quantify. On the other hand the benefits of being an independent nation are also real and hard to quantify.

Oh yeah, you are right. Lots of people are going to vote Yes, so it's obvious the union is bad for scotland.

Just like in 2007 it was obvious the Fianna Fail were doing a fantastic job.

I can see you are bitter about the possibility of a Yes vote. I still can't see, and nobody has yet explained to me, what is uniquely available to somebody who calls themselves British that is not available to somebody from an independent sovereign entity, other than a dubious and questionable economic stability (which those intending to vote Yes, would dispute)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I can see you are bitter about the possibility of a Yes vote.

Is it possible to be bitter about a possibility??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Good luck to the Scots whatever they choose to do. if they do vote yes I think they can make it work but it won't be all plain sailing. the Spanish and Belgians to name but two must be quite on edge with their own separatist movements waiting to see how this plays out. if a yes vote happens both of those countries could make life difficult for the scots in their attempt to join the EU. they might not block an application outright but they won't play nice. they won't want to see a precedent set - part of a current EU member breaking away and joining up as an independent entity. a yes vote in Scotland has some serious possible implications for them. they will act accordingly. the vote is too close to call maybe precipitation will be the factor that swings it one way or the other. who wants it more. we shall see. anyways good luck to them.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to be bitter about a possibility??? :D

Around these parts...absolutely! ;)

I can see you are bitter about the possibility of a Yes vote. I still can't see, and nobody has yet explained to me, what is uniquely available to somebody who calls themselves British that is not available to somebody from an independent sovereign entity, other than a dubious and questionable economic stability (which those intending to vote Yes, would dispute)

How would I be bitter about it? I don't live in Scotland and it won't affect me either way, other than the marginal possibility that an independent scotland will attempt to outdo us on the inward investment front.

To answer your question directly there's nothing 'available' to someone who is British that isn't 'available' to someone who is Scottish or any other nationality, other than (I suppose) the opportunity to trade freely with another 50 million people. I don't really get that point to be honest with you.

What is 'available' to a person living in the united states that isn't 'available' to him or her living in an independent Georgia? What is 'available' to someone living in Ireland that isn't 'available' to that same person in the newly declared people's republic or Cork? What is 'available' to someone living under an Edinburgh government that is not 'available' to them under the free and oil-rich united shetland emirates?

What is 'available' to someone in the EU or a country in the EU that is not 'available' to someone outside it?

Like I say, I don't understand the question.

How would I be bitter about it?
    Why are you so critical of people deciding to leave a union that isn't working for them?
    To answer your question directly there's nothing 'available' to someone who is British that isn't 'available' to someone who is Scottish or any other nationality, other than (I suppose) the opportunity to trade freely with another 50 million people. I don't really get that point to be honest with you.

What is 'available' to a person living in the united states that isn't 'available' to him or her living in an independent Georgia? What is 'available' to someone living in Ireland that isn't 'available' to that same person in the newly declared people's republic or Cork? What is 'available' to someone living under an Edinburgh government that is not 'available' to them under the free and oil-rich united shetland emirates?

What is 'available' to someone in the EU or a country in the EU that is not 'available' to someone outside it?

Like I say, I don't understand the question.
    The original poster I questioned talked about an 'afinity with Britain as an entity'. I am simply asking what is that affinity precisely?

Why are you so critical of people deciding to leave a union that isn't working for them?

Am I? Show me where I am critical of Scots wanting independence.

I am critical of idiots (there are plenty on both sides of this debate) who don't understand the political structure or history of the UK. There is a difference.

WRT the 'affinity' I explained it above. There is not actually a great deal of difference between the scots and the english, certainly not the lowland scots who make up the vast majority of the population. They have been one country for 300 years.

They also have a distinct identity as Scots and if they want to be independent then of course they should go for it. You only have to go back a few posts to see me saying I have every faith a prosperous independent scotland can emerge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The original poster I questioned talked about an 'afinity with Britain as an entity'. I am simply asking what is that affinity precisely?

I explained this to you previously, but you chose to ignore/belittle it.

Maybe if you could explain what being Irish means, we could do a comparison.

Am I? Show me where I am critical of Scots wanting independence.
    I am critical of idiots (there are plenty on both sides of this debate) who don't understand the political structure or history of the UK. There is a difference.
    In your original answer to me you attacked the 'yes idiots' only.
    WRT the 'affinity' I explained it above. There is not actually a great deal of difference between the scots and the english, certainly not the lowland scots who make up the vast majority of the population. They have been one country for 300 years.

They also have a distinct identity as Scots and if they want to be independent then of course they should go for it. You only have to go back a few posts to see me saying I have every faith a prosperous independent scotland can emerge.
    So this 'affinity' thing isn't all that important then? Is that what you are saying?
    That is how I would think about it.
    Maybe one of the more ardent Unionist will tell us why it is important. When you get down to it, other than some dubious economic advantage, as a concept it doesn't seem to have anything defining to recommend it.

I explained this to you previously, but you chose to ignore/belittle it.

Maybe if you could explain what being Irish means, we could do a comparison.

It's your stock answer when you can't answer Fred. Turn it around and make it about being Irish. Tiresome.

It's your stock answer when you can't answer Fred. Turn it around and make it about being Irish. Tiresome.

I've already explained my opinion, which you know because you responded to it.

You are dodging my question though because you can't answer it.

In your original answer to me you attacked the 'yes idiots' only.

So this 'affinity' thing isn't all that important then? Is that what you are saying?
    That is how I would think about it.
    Maybe one of the more ardent Unionist will tell us why it is important. When you get down to it, other than some dubious economic advantage, as a concept it doesn't seem to have anything defining to recommend it.

Like any such concept it is strong or weak depending on how people feel. Some scots feel 'proud to be british', some don't or are actively against the concept of britishness.

It isn't some factual thing that you can define - which is why you can't tell us what is materially advantageous or significant about being Irish.

Thanks for acknowledging that I didn't in fact criticise scots who want to be independent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You are Irish.

Not a whole lotta sense in Fred asking you to put into words what it means to be Mauritian.

Like any such concept it is strong or weak depending on how people feel. Some scots feel 'proud to be british', some don't or are actively against the concept of britishness.

It isn't some factual thing that you can define - which is why you can't tell us what is materially advantageous or significant about being Irish.

Thanks for acknowledging that I didn't in fact criticise scots who want to be independent.

But you have said that they have a 'distinct identity as Scots' so you can define what it is to be Scottish but cannot factually 'define' Britishness. :confused:

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You are Irish.

Not a whole lotta sense in Fred asking you to put into words what it means to be Mauritian.
    This isn't a thread about Irishness, if Fred wants to reference some other thread let him work away. He needs to answer here, if he can.

This isn't a thread about Irishness, if Fred wants to reference some other thread let him work away. He needs to answer here, if he can.

Well there's a dodge if ever I saw one.

I answered earlier in this thread, but I'll humour you and give you my own feelings on the subject.

Being British is about being part of a collective that reflects the multicultural society the UK is today. It doesn't reflect national or ethnic backgrounds and is, to an extent, a secondary identity.

You can be Scottish and British, English and British etc, or you can be Indian, Somali or Caribbean and British. Being British is what joins is together. You don't look at someone in a burkha and say that they can't be British, or someone who supports the Indian cricket team.

It is a union of people as much as it is a union of politics.

Now, maybe you can explain how that differs to your view of being Irish.

I answered earlier in this thread, but I'll humour you and give you my own feelings on the subject.

Being British is about being part of a collective that reflects the multicultural society the UK is today. It doesn't reflect national or ethnic backgrounds and is, to an extent, a secondary identity.

You can be Scottish and British, English and British etc, or you can be Indian, Somali or Caribbean and British. Being British is what joins is together. You don't look at someone in a burkha and say that they can't be British, or someone who supports the Indian cricket team.

Could you use any more nebulous or tourist brouchery hyperbole? :rolleyes:
    What do you mean 'it is a union of people', there are longstanding and deep divisions within Britain, some of which will come to a head on Thursday?
    And 'politics' will happen whether people are of a union' or not.
    '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So when did all that happen? Post world war 2 or in the 60s? Or after thatcher f**cked off out of power?

• Advertisement

Funny isn't it, two of the main Irish republicans are the first to question my post. It obviously doesn't fit in with what their teachings have told them.

What do you mean 'it is a union of people', there are longstanding and deep divisions within Britain, some of which will come to a head on Thursday?
    '

Can I presume than, that your definition of what Irish means is " not British"?

'

I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Isn't it totally obvious what 'Britain' is and what 'being British' means? You are or can be British if you are born in Britain.

"Britain" as an entity and identity is associated with the things achieved (the good and bad) as the United Kingdom - rather than being specifically associated with England or Scotland alone (or Wales).

Are you telling all the various scottish people who think of themselves as british as well that they are wrong?

Or perhaps you are just projecting the tedious politics of northern ireland?

Funny isn't it, two of the main Irish republicans are the first to question my post. It obviously doesn't fit in with what their teachings have told them.

It doesn't fit in with a lot of things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

T'was yourself who asked for a precise explanation as to why someone felt an affinity with Britain.

It's a nonsense question as well you know, as by its very nature such an affinity is ill-defined, indeterminate & as much about something you feel in your bones.

Appears to me you're just arguing here for the hell of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

TIL the concept of Britishness is about 60 years old.

drumswan wrote: »
    TIL the concept of Britishness is about 60 years old.

The concept of Britishness is ever changing.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    T'was yourself who asked for a precise explanation as to why someone felt an affinity with Britain.

It's a nonsense question as well you know, as by its very nature such an affinity is ill-defined, indeterminate & as much about something you feel in your bones.

Appears to me you're just arguing here for the hell of it.

No, I am, as I have in the past, just trying to show just how unimportant it is as a concept, despite the flowery and airy fairy protestations to the contrary.
    Would Britain or Britishness be missed in the greater scheme of things? I very much doubt it.
    Perhaps we have hit on the instinctive dislike of the EU as a concept among those who call themselves 'British'. It offers everything and more that is claimed for Britishness and it too will inevitably flounder because it's claim to be a 'union' of anything is based on myths. Myths created so that a few can benefit (just like Britain) while the rest get the scraps (like Scottish nationalists believe)

No, I am, as I have in the past, just trying to show just how unimportant it is as a concept, despite the flowery and airy fairy protestations to the contrary.
    Would Britain or Britishness be missed in the greater scheme of things? I very much doubt it.
    Perhaps we have hit on the instinctive dislike of the EU as a concept among those who call themselves 'British'. It offers everything and more that is claimed for Britishness and it too will inevitably flounder because it's claim to be a 'union' of anything is based on myths. Myths created so that a few can benefit (just like Britain) while the rest get the scraps (like Scottish nationalists believe)

So I explained my opinion and you have chosen (again) to completely ignore it because it doesn't fit in with your narrow view.

All you have managed to do is demonstrate your own prejudice.

Every country is a union.

Scotland is a union. Ireland is a union. England is a union. France, Germany, Italy, Spain - pretty much all of them.

Where exactly do you think countries come from? There aren't any lines on the ground you know.

Please don't tell me you are so historically ignorant you think the modern nation states we are 'used to' are some sort of inviolable and natural entity? lol.

So I explained my opinion and you have chosen (again) to completely ignore it because it doesn't fit in with your narrow view.

All you have managed to do is demonstrate your own prejudice.

Here was my opinion of your opinion. I didn't ignore it, I just called it for the airy fairy nothingness it was.

Could you use any more nebulous or tourist brouchery hyperbole?

Here was my opinion of your opinion. I didn't ignore it, I just called it for the airy fairy nothingness it was.

Sounded more like "nah nah I'm not listening" to be honest.

Every country is a union.

Scotland is a union. Ireland is a union. England is a union. France, Germany, Italy, Spain - pretty much all of them.

Where exactly do you think countries come from? There aren't any lines on the ground you know.

Please don't tell me you are so historically ignorant you think the modern nation states we are 'used to' are some sort of inviolable and natural entity? lol.

What? :confused:

Sounded more like "nah nah I'm not listening" to be honest.

There was nothing of substance to 'listen' too Fred.

There was nothing of substance to 'listen' too Fred.

I'm still waiting for you to describe what Irishness is.

• Advertisement

What? :confused:

Read it again and tell me what you disagree with.

And I am going to resist on this thread as it has no relevance, and I wasn't the one stating that people 'feel an affinity to being British'.
    To feel an affinity to anything you have to know what it is first, which tbh, judging from what we have heard, doesn't seem that much or important.

And I am going to resist on this thread as it has no relevance, and I was the one stating that people 'feel an affinity to being British'.
    To feel an affinity to anything you have to know what it is first, which tbh, judging from what we have heard, doesn't seem that much or important.

So you don't think cultural integration and tolerance are important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Because there is no such thing as Irishness just as there is no such thing as Britishness,Frenchness,Germaness,Americaness etc.

Because there is no such thing as Irishness just as there is no such thing as Britishness,Frenchness,Germaness,Americaness etc.

Then let us pray that come it may,
    (As come it will for a' that,)
    That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
    Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
    For a' that, an' a' that,
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that.

So you don't think cultural integration and tolerance are important?

Absolutely. What makes you think that that is not available in an independent, sovereign entity?

Absolutely. What makes you think an that that is not available in an independent, sovereign entity?

Because separation has the opposite effect. The message Scottish nationalists are sending out is that we are better off alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Because separation has the opposite effect. The message Scottish nationalists are sending out is that we are better off alone.

Maybe they would be given what happened to Scotland during the 80's and the devastation caused by Thatcher and successive Tory governments.

Because separation has the opposite effect.

What?
    They are suddenly going to become culturally exclusive and intolerant?

• Advertisement

The concept of Britishness is ever changing.

Its a concept that changes to reflect the needs of one particular group though

It may have to change a bit more next week and all ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement