Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Bambi wrote: »
    Its a concept that changes to reflect the needs of one particular group though

It may have to change a bit more next week and all ;)
    The concept of Britishness is ever changing.

It's another of those nebulous phrases that when you dig into it, means sweet f.a.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Bambi wrote: »
    Its a concept that changes to reflect the needs of one particular group though

It may have to change a bit more next week and all ;)

Ironically enough, it was the policies enacted by those 'supposedly' most in favour of Unionism that has led to this. It's pretty funny that they did it to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

karma_ wrote: »
    Maybe they would be given what happened to Scotland during the 80's and the devastation caused by Thatcher and successive Tory governments.

Yeah, because Scotland was so different to the rest of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

It is - even if I am a bit biased:)

Ironically enough, it was the policies enacted by those 'supposedly' most in favour of Unionism that has led to this. It's pretty funny that they did it to themselves.

Other than your usual pathetic digs, are you going to actually add anything to this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Happyman42 wrote: »
    No, I am, as I have in the past, just trying to show just how unimportant it is as a concept, despite the flowery and airy fairy protestations to the contrary.
    Would Britain or Britishness be missed in the greater scheme of things? I very much doubt it.

You're certainly entitled to argue about the concept being of little value.

But you've never felt British in any way, so it's a little less complicated for you. Indeed the only emotion you factor into the equation is more than likely through the prism of Irish Republicanism, which tends to skew things just a tad. I'm not surprised you hold the viewpoint you do, but common sense would dictate we lend considerably more weight to the opinions of Britons themselves on this one.

Not the rest of the UK Fred, Wales and other parts of Northern England suffered as much as Scotland, but not everywhere. The Tories for all their proud Britishness are the those most responsible for dismantling what once existed that did provide people in the UK with a sense of Britishness, so if you supported them at any time post 1979 then well done, the joke is on you :)

Other than your usual pathetic digs, are you going to actually add anything to this thread?

Appreciating irony is never pathetic, and you know there a massive nugget of truth in what I said.

Not the rest of the UK Fred, Wales and other parts of Northern England suffered as much as Scotland, but not everywhere. The Tories for all their proud Britishness are the those most responsible for dismantling what once existed that did provide people in the UK with a sense of Britishness, so if you supported them at any time post 1979 then well done, the joke is on you :)

I've never voted Tory. Mainly because their policies forced me in to a £27.50 per week yts job when I left school, which I lost a few years later thanks to another of their policies. The company took advantage of the incentives on offer to relocate from south east England to Bathgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Genuine question: why are some English people so wound up about Scottish independence? It they leave the United Kingdom it will cost them nothing.

It almost seems that they think Scotland should remain as part of the UK so English language feel better about the whole thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There was a good article in yesterdays Sunday Herald from Tom Devine looking at how Scotland has got to a position of almost voting for independence (although he writes it from the stand point that they did)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/break-up-of-the-union-how-the-independence-battle-was-won.25298879

tigger123 wrote: »
    Genuine question: why are some English people so wound up about Scottish independence? It they leave the United Kingdom it will cost them nothing.

It almost seems that they think Scotland should remain as part of the UK so English language feel better about the whole thing?

If the Scots leave, then good luck to them. It's the ignorance of the arguments that I find frustrating.

I've never voted Tory. Mainly because their policies forced me in to a £27.50 per week yts job when I left school, which I lost a few years later thanks to another of their policies. The company took advantage of the incentives on offer to relocate from south east England to Bathgate.

Well this is exactly what I mean, and I didn't mean you specifically but a lot of those who do constantly vote Tory are those panicking and gnashing teeth the most now, when all along it was their support that has enabled those policies that hurt yourself and others. Modern economic policy is not conducive to any kind of community spirit these days, you can either have one or the other.

Are English people that concerned? I don't think so. Politicians in westminster definitely are but their reputations are on the line.

But anyway - the united kingdom has been a country for 300 years. I am sure lots of people who are part of that country don't want it to be divided.

Same way Irish people or at least many irish people are wound up about ireland being divided.

Genuine question: why are some English people so wound up about Scottish independence?

because the people in Scotland get more spent per head than the rest of the UK and is subidised by England.... oh wait...

That is the misinformation that I see from some people and online comments on the newspaper websites

Well this is exactly what I mean, and I didn't mean you specifically but a lot of those who do constantly vote Tory are those panicking and gnashing teeth the most now, when all along it was their support that has enabled those policies that hurt yourself and others. Modern economic policy is not conducive to any kind of community spirit these days, you can either have one or the other.

Personally I believe things should be fixed when broken, not thrown away.

One man's throwing away is another man's fixing :pac:

Some things. are beyond repair - besides was it ever perfect to start with?

Should people throw away something that doesn't belong to them?

Should people throw away something that doesn't belong to them?

Scotland doesn't belong to its people?

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You're certainly entitled to argue about the concept being of little value.

But you've never felt British in any way, so it's a little less complicated for you. Indeed the only emotion you factor into the equation is more than likely through the prism of Irish Republicanism, which tends to skew things just a tad. I'm not surprised you hold the viewpoint you do, but common sense would dictate we lend considerably more weight to the opinions of Britons themselves on this one.

I'm listening to two viewpoints from Scotland, those who think Britishness is important and those who don't.
    Imo those who 'don't' have the stronger argument so far, it doesn't seem to be anything that cannot be achieved in an independent state. As a previous poster said, it would seem that Britishness like the EU is a construct that favours some and not all.

I'm listening to two viewpoints from Scotland, those who think Britishness is important and those who don't.
    Imo those who 'don't' have the stronger argument so far, it doesn't seem to be anything that cannot be achieved in an independent state. As a previous poster said, it would seem that Britishness like the EU is a construct that favours some and not all.

All nationalities are constructs, and they all exist to benefit the ruling class.

Like I said, you seem to be confused. 'Britishness' is a construct whereas 'scottishness' isn't somehow - as if there's a line somewhere around gretna green on each side of which people are incredibly different or care about different things.

Madam wrote: »
    Scotland doesn't belong to its people?

My comment was tongue in cheek, but how do you feel about Scots not in Scotland not having a vote?

All nationalities are constructs, and they all exist to benefit the ruling class.

Like I said, you seem to be confused. 'Britishness' is a construct whereas 'scottishness' isn't somehow - as if there's a line somewhere around gretna green on each side of which people are incredibly different or care about different things.

Why do you keep trying to dumb things down with statements of the obvious.
    The debate is about the importance of one over the other, and Britishness as described here is some kind of nebulous 'feeling' that Britain is a beacon of cultural inclusiveness and tolerance. They of course are ignoring the fact that Britain is far from culturally inclusive and tolerant. Yes, it may be ahead of other places in that regard but it still has a way to go. It's only a wet week since they allowed a catholic to marry an heir to throne after all and the Brixton riots which where a result of racial unrest and disenfranchisement.

Why do you keep trying to dumb things down with statements of the obvious.
    The debate is about the importance of one over the other, and Britishness as described here is some kind of nebulous 'feeling' that Britain is a beacon of cultural inclusiveness and tolerance. They of course are ignoring the fact that Britain is far from culturally inclusive and tolerant. Yes, it may be ahead of other places in that regard but it still has a way to go. It's only a wet week since they allowed a catholic to marry an heir to throne after all and the Brixton riots which where a result of racial unrest and disenfranchisement.

Oh please. Stop talking of things you know nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Lads this thread has gone to ****.

Oh please. Stop talking of things you know nothing about.

For a man who answered in cliches and stock tourist brochure speak that is rich!
    :D

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Lads this thread has gone to ****.

There seems to be a major problem when you try to look too closely at Britishness. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

There seems to be a major problem when you try to look too closely at Britishness. :D
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BetsgAdNpIs/TsxfiZqAXxI/AAAAAAAAAEo/kK5fk-fseJs/s1600/1244649029731.jpg

• Advertisement

My comment was tongue in cheek, but how do you feel about Scots not in Scotland not having a vote?

I feel if you don't contribute or live in a country you have no right to vote on its future. I have friends and relatives who live all over the place who were born here (unlike myself) and have no interest in voting in the election, why would they if they don't see themselves ever living here again? Scotland is where they were born but it's not home to them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Well there's a dodge if ever I saw one.

I answered earlier in this thread, but I'll humour you and give you my own feelings on the subject.

Being British is about being part of a collective that reflects the multicultural society the UK is today. It doesn't reflect national or ethnic backgrounds and is, to an extent, a secondary identity.

You can be Scottish and British, English and British etc, or you can be Indian, Somali or Caribbean and British. Being British is what joins is together. You don't look at someone in a burkha and say that they can't be British, or someone who supports the Indian cricket team.

It is a union of people as much as it is a union of politics.

If Scotland votes for Independence then they can still call themselves British if they wish. The land won't detach from the island of Britain. In the same way people from Belfast can call themselves Irish if they wish.

golfball37 wrote: »
    If Scotland votes for Independence then they can still call themselves British if they wish. The land won't detach from the island of Britain. In the same way people from Belfast can call themselves Irish if they wish.

Their still British, have no control over fiscal policy and will have an uncertain economic future.

My question is, is it worth it?

Their still British, have no control over fiscal policy and will have an uncertain economic future.

A resounding YES!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It was well worth it for Ireland. There is absolutely no reason why it is not worth it for Scotland.

I believe so therefore I will vote Yes on Thursday

• Advertisement

I feel if you don't contribute or live in a country you have no right to vote on its future. I have friends and relatives who live all over the place who were born here (unlike myself) and have no interest in voting in the election, why would they if they don't see themselves ever living here again? Scotland is where they were born but it's not home to them anymore.

Conversely, I have a couple of friends in Ireland and England who are very annoyed at not being able to vote. The ones in England especially.

As they see it, their lives for one reason or another took them away, but they are and always will be Scottish.

Fair enough in an election, but this is way more than that. Especially when people who have lived there for a few years get to vote, who will most likely clear off if the going gets too tough.

I believe so therefore I will vote Yes on Thursday

I was wondering, what with all the fence sitting and all.

A resounding YES!!!;)

I hope you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Piliger wrote: »
    It was well worth it for Ireland. There is absolutely no reason why it is not worth it for Scotland.

It took Ireland the best part of fifty years to recover.

First Up wrote: »
    It took Ireland the best part of fifty years to recover.

In fairness there is no comparison to the starting point we had though.

• Advertisement

And as if he hadn't messed it all up enough, Cameron now gets the reason why it is called 'Great' wrong too. What a twat! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

In fairness there is no comparison to the starting point we had though.

Depends on what you call the starting point. The 1707 Act of Union was promoted by Scotland because the country needed bailing out and it continued to be bailed out until the discovery of North Sea Oil in the 1970's. That finite resource is still the only economic instrument that keeps Scotland afloat and it is running out. The rest of the Scottish economy is dependent on its links with England far more than Ireland was before or since 1921.

If Scotland leaves the UK, its most urgent priority will be to find a sugar daddy to replace England. Any ideas?

The new campaign slogan from Labour to their supporters is 'If you Don't Know, just Vote No' (see letter sent out to Labour supporters)

dontknowvoteno1.jpg

Note how they portray the vote on Thursday like a General Election vote rather than structural change of how you are Governed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cameron's speech was a desperate plea. He sounded completely impotent.

Depends on what you call the starting point. The 1707 Act of Union was promoted by Scotland because the country needed bailing out and it continued to be bailed out until the discovery of North Sea Oil in the 1970's. That finite resource is still the only economic instrument that keeps Scotland afloat and it is running out. The rest of the Scottish economy is dependent on its links with England far more than Ireland was before or since 1921.

If Scotland leaves the UK, its most urgent priority will be to find a sugar daddy to replace England. Any ideas?

The starting point was the ruling elite of Scotland nearly bankrupting the people of Scotland and the ruling elite went for the union (back then, the views of the people was not considered and did not matter)

Another one who falls into the mindset described here

If Scotland leaves the UK, its most urgent priority will be to find a sugar daddy to replace England. Any ideas?[

Gawd you are one bitter bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Seriously? You can't see the costs in seperating the NHS, the civil service? Border control, the ministry of defence?

There are civil servants in Scotland, but not necessarily a Scottish civil service. HMRC, for example, collect all the tax for the UK, which is then allocated out. This will need to be split.

The same will apply for all other branches of the civil service.

How will shipbuilding grow in an independent Scotland?

Defence presence in Scotland isn't that low. Some 6000 people owe their jobs to the naval bases on the Clyde. The SNP have committed to removing trident from Scotland, so they aren't going to leave that hanging around for twenty years. That goes, the RN goes. Then there's the RAF.

Scotland will have a depth of 60% of its GDP, but how much interest will they pay on it? Who will be loaning then money? Plus, of course, their new lower tax regime will further reduce their ability to service this debt.

None of this is myth, conjecture or scaremongering, it is simply a much closer view of the facts than the fairy tale happy ending the SNP are talking about.

Of course, we know one person who will be fine and dandy after independence, in fact, there's only one person who future is guaranteed in an independent Scotland.
    NHS, education,law is separate in Scotland.
    Defence - Scottish government have said there will be saving on defence. The UK charges scotland 4/5Billion a year SG say it can be done for much less.
    They're suggesting the start up costs will be 200million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Whats going to happen to Scottish soldiers in the Army/RAF/Navy etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Whats going to happen to Scottish soldiers in the Army/RAF/Navy etc?

I'd say it'll be pretty much like the Irish army. Im hearing they'll be calling the "defence force" As for personnel, they'll be given an option of moving over to Scotland's new military.

I suspect that they will do what we did, become a trading partner with England. A partnership that didn't suffer through the conflict because it was in every body's interests.
    England won't be huffing and breaking trading links, don't be silly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement