Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

What do the numbers say though....

They're saying a 5 point swing is needed for the yes. The undecided are the key, and it's being said that the majority, if pushed" would say YES.

Also around 57 days to go and with everyday the polls are closing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Scottie99 wrote: »
    They're saying a 5 point swing is needed for the yes. The undecided are the key, and it's being said that the majority, if pushed" would say YES.

So, 55%-45% if the undecided are removed?

Still an uphill task....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Still an uphill task....

More of a slope imo:)

Still an uphill task....

But there's still between 14/20% undecided which would give the swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You're getting your hopes up. You're going to be disappointed if Scotland votes no.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're going to be disappointed if Scotland votes no.

Thanks for stating the obvious :P
    I'm just laying out the figures and they're looking positive. Let's hope my confidence is correct :D
    One thing I've noticed is the PM is making a lot of visits to Scotland. He's the same PM (when polls were good) who said he wouldn't be getting involved in the debate and would leave it to the Scots.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Could Scotland go it alone? Yes of course.

Should Scotland go it alone? No. It will get as much power as it needs after the No vote wins. It can have the best of both worlds.

I really dont understand the support here for the Yes vote. It wont help Ireland at all to create a direct competitor. An Independent Scotland in the EU using the Euro would have as much if not more to offer for foreign direct investment than Ireland

Thanks for stating the obvious :P
    I'm just laying out the figures and they're looking positive. Let's hope my confidence is correct :D
    One thing I've noticed is the PM is making a lot of visits to Scotland. He's the same PM (when polls were good) who said he wouldn't be getting involved in the debate and would leave it to the Scots.
    Depends on what your point of view is, though I can see Scottish independence being good for England's financial sector.

Give Cameron some credit where it's due, Scottish independence would guarantee Tory dominance of English politics for the foreseeable future. How many politicians these days put ideology before votes?

Could Scotland go it alone? Yes of course.

Should Scotland go it alone? No. It will get as much power as it needs after the No vote wins. It can have the best of both worlds.

I really dont understand the support here for the Yes vote. It wont help Ireland at all to create a direct competitor. An Independent Scotland in the EU using the Euro would have as much if not more to offer for foreign direct investment than Ireland

Firstly if there is a no vote. Spending will be cut by £6billion and uk parliament could cut Scottish power at a blink of an eye. Returning it to executive powers, basically another Provence of England.

Yes Scotland would be a direct competitor to Ireland. No they won't be using euro but pound....

Firstly if there is a no vote. Spending will be cut by £6billion and uk parliament could cut Scottish power at a blink of an eye. Returning it to executive powers, basically another Provence of England.
    Cameron said this?

• Advertisement

Cameron said this?

Yes and Labour have confirmed they'll follow the spending cuts if they win the election

Yes and Labour have confirmed they'll follow the spending cuts if they win the election
    Ok so that's depending on Labour winning the next general election, but you said if there is a no vote spending will be cut by 6 billion pound. Did you mean spending will be cut by 6 billion on the condition that labour wins the next election?

Also the numbers don't really add up for me. According to the BBC here spending per capita for Scotland is £12,300 and the population of Scotland is 5,295,000 so total spending for Scotland should be 5,295,000*£12,300 = 65,128,500,000,

The number given for total expenditure in that picture is 64.5 billion which would be a drop in spending of 0.6 billion not 6.2 billion...

Also note that at 64.5 billion parliament would be spending 12,181 per head of capita in Scotland which is still 1,181 more than England.

Ok so that's depending on Labour winning the next general election, but you said if there is a no vote spending will be cut by 6 billion pound. Did you mean spending will be cut by 6 billion on the condition that labour wins the next election?

Also the numbers don't really add up for me. According to the BBC here spending per capita for Scotland is £12,300 and the population of Scotland is 5,295,000 so total spending for Scotland should be 5,295,000*£12,300 = 65,128,500,000,

The number given for total expenditure in that picture is 64.5 billion which would be a drop in spending of 0.6 billion not 6.2 billion...

Also note that at 64.5 billion parliament would be spending 12,181 per head of capita in Scotland which is still 1,181 more than England.

Cuts will be made regardless if the Conservatives or Labour will be in power.
    The fact is - London dictates how much money Scotland gets (pocket money). Presently, Scotland gives a lot of free services to its people. University fees, NHS prescription charges, homes for elderly, road tolls etc etc. People in England are looking at this and saying we're getting to much..when in fact we aren't.
    http://youtu.be/1W8cKHcZn60
    As for your figures I've no answer but its commonly talked about future cuts of 6 billion. I assume it'll be over a period of time..

The fact is - London dictates how much money Scotland gets (pocket money). Presently, Scotland gives a lot of free services to its people. University fees, NHS prescription charges, homes for elderly, road tolls etc etc. People in England are looking at this and saying we're getting to much..when in fact we aren't.
    http://youtu.be/1W8cKHcZn60
    As for your figures I've no answer but its commonly talked about future cuts of 6 billion. I assume it'll be over a period of time..
    Lots of crazy numbers tend to be bounded about during a referendum. I'd take that 6 billion with a large degree of scepticism and salt.

Did Cameron say the conservatives will cut funding?

Even if Labour does cut by 0.6 billion Scots are 1,000 pounds better off than English people per capita.

Lots of crazy numbers tend to be bounded about during a referendum. I'd take that 6 billion with a large degree of scepticism and salt.

Did Cameron say the conservatives will cut funding?

Even if Labour does cut by 0.6 billion Scots are 1,000 pounds better off than English people per capita.

Obviously you didn't watch the video. Yes the 6billion cuts are facts

Obviously you didn't watch the video. Yes the 6billion cuts are facts
    It's a long vdeo, what time was that screen cap taken from?

That article doesn't affect my numbers, I took the spending per capita of Scotland which is 12,300 and multiplied it by the population to get roughly 65.1 billion spent in Scotland.

Then I said a drop in spending to 64.5 would be a drop of roughly 0.6 billion not 6.2 billion as you claimed.

Watch the video..
    I don't have time to watch a half hour video, what part does he claim spending will be cut by 6.2 billion in the event of a no vote regardless of what party is in power because that's what you claimed and I want to see some proof for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the commonwealth games currently held in Glasgow with union jacks abound

masterful ploy by the tories to entice them to stay??? or am i reading too much into it??

• Advertisement

Ok so you actually have no answer to the numbers then?

Just like every other pro-independence poster I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Theyll lose free postage from Amazon.co.uk if they do leave :eek:

Ok so you actually have no answer to the numbers then?

Just like every other pro-independence poster I've read.

Sorry which numbers are you talking about?
    The ones you made up yourself?
    All the number add up concerning the biggie - can Scotland afford independence?
    I showed you the GERS report but seemingly you overlooked it (YouTube) Too many numbers?

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Theyll lose free postage from Amazon.co.uk if they do leave :eek:

Actually Amazon is based in Scotland :p

Sorry which numbers are you talking about?
    The ones you made up yourself?
    All the number add up concerning the biggie - can Scotland afford independence?
    I showed you the GERS report but seemingly you overlooked it (YouTube) Too many numbers?
    The 6.2 billion you claimed will be cut from the Scottish budget should Scotland vote no.

The 6.2 billion I made you turn around and say would only be cut if Labour are voted into power.

I'd like proof of that number.

The 6.2 billion you claimed will be cut from the Scottish budget should Scotland vote no.

The 6.2 billion I made you turn around and say would only be cut if Labour are voted into power.

I'd like proof of that number.
    "You made me" - I think I clarified my position

"You made me" - I think I clarified my position
    Still no answer then? ...

Still no answer then? ...

Well an example - next year the UK has to make €25billion in cuts. Scotland approx size to the Uk economy is 10%. Now next year that would be 2.5billion.

Did you watch the YouTube clip?

• Advertisement

That's what I said

Well an example - next year the UK has to make €25billion in cuts. Scotland approx size to the Uk economy is 10%. Now next year that would be 2.5billion.

Did you watch the YouTube clip?
    Do you know for definite the cuts won't be made if Scotland is independent? Otherwise it's pointless talking about cuts.

Of course I didn't watch a biased 38 minute video.

Do you know for definite the cuts won't be made if Scotland is independent? Otherwise it's pointless talking about cuts.

Of course I didn't watch a biased 38 minute video.

Now I know you didn't watch that video - the answer is in there!!

Ok I'll save your blushes. Basically Scotland puts more in than it gets out. Yes there is that much of a shortfall, hence why we believe Independence would be better for Scotland. That's before we talk about oil and gas!!

Now I know you didn't watch that video - the answer is in there!!
    I asked you like four times now, what time is the 6.2 billion mentioned?

I asked you like four times now, what time is the 6.2 billion mentioned?

It's from "business Scotland" clip...on YouTube
    Watch the videos and learn - you might even vote yes (if you have the vote)

I must say #bettertogether accept Scotland can go it alone (Cameron and Darling have admitted this)

• Advertisement

I must say #bettertogether accept Scotland can go it alone (Cameron and Darling have admitted this)
    I know that... but I have no intention of watching a 38 minute long biased video. What part exactly is the 6.2 billion euro figure from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

FFS - will you just give him time the 6b cuts are mentioned. He's not going to watch it otherwise.

And I hope Scotland votes for independence.

I know that... but I have no intention of watching a 38 minute long biased video. What part exactly is the 6.2 billion euro figure from?

"Biased" these figure are from the British Government themselves!!! (GERS REPORT)

I don't know exactly which video, you'll have to look but your not good at that. :D

smcgiff wrote: »
    FFS - will you just give him time the 6b cuts are mentioned. He's not going to watch it otherwise.

And I hope Scotland votes for independence.

I also gave him a link from the Scotsman about the cuts..
    He doesn't read or watch anything I'm giving him..because it doesn't suit his agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

I also gave him a link from the Scotsman about the cuts..
    He doesn't read or watch anything I'm giving him..because it doesn't suit his agenda

Your username says it all.

You biased scot and rangers fan

• Advertisement

Lol:rolleyes: wouldn't a Rangers fan be more likely pro Union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hmm. That's a bit thick river, even for AH!

Lol:rolleyes: wouldn't a Rangers fan be more likely pro Union?

Yes you past the first test.

Now please reinforce your existing ideas with more flair and passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

unlike you for example?

kingchess wrote: »
    unlike you for example?

I have nothing to prove.

YOU on the other hand do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

What does Scottie 99 refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I have nothing to prove.

YOU on the other hand do.

oh?what must I prove?

kingchess wrote: »
    oh?what must I prove?

Calm it kingchess. I just asked a question no need to get personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Maybe Scottie's a Stenhousemuir fan.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Maybe Scottie's a Stenhousemuir fan.

North east

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement