Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Berserker wrote: »
    I watched a piece where Billy talked about the referendum and he has a vote but he is not going to cast it. The clip is probably on youtube.

He has a home in Scotland but only visits certain times of year - he has children who reside here so maybe he'll influence them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

bilston wrote: »
    Or the criteria for eligibility could have been extended. Everyone's circumstances are different.

The Scottish Government and the UK Government agreed the criteria. Clause 9 of the Edinburgh Agreement signed by Alex Salmond & David Cameron on 15 October 2012

'Franchise
    9. The Referendum Bill introduced by the Scottish Government will create
    a franchise for the referendum. Both governments agree that all those entitled
    to vote in Scottish Parliamentary and local government elections should be
    able to vote in the referendum.'

Berserker wrote: »
    A bit unfair if you don't mind me saying so. He could have restrictions due to personal circumstances, ill-health etc.

A lot of things are unfair, maybe Fratton Fred can give us his personal circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Latest poll putting No @ 51% / Yes @ 49%

Really is setting up nicely.

I have stuck 500$ on Yes @ 7/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's the same criteria as European & local elections. All EU citizens resident in Scotland can vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Madam wrote: »
    So btw that premise, I haven't lived in Ireland for over 30 years if for arguments sake there was a referendum in Ireland for unity I should have a vote?

Well the vote would have to take place in Northern Ireland first:)

Yes the % of English resident in Scotland is seriously favoring the NO side. For example the Oil Industry is largely supportive of the NO side as they want to keep the current regime.

Real Scots will vote Yes in big quantities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭bilston

"Real Scots" will vote no in very large quantities as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes the % of English resident in Scotland is seriously favoring the NO side. For example the Oil Industry is largely supportive of the NO side as they want to keep the current regime.

Real Scottish fishermen won't. They do a lot of business in England and rent EU quotas from English counterparts.

Yes but actual Scots, not English people living in Scotland etc. will probably vote 60%+ in favour of the referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Has anyone done a poll of the Scots living in England?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think it is quite clear that if he wanted to vote in the referendum and felt that strongly about voting, he should have moved back to Scotland to be eligible to vote

So put his family second?

You obviously don't have kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 man on a BOAT

thats a fallacy...

Has anyone done a poll of the Scots living in England?

BBC news today showed the Scots living in Corby, England. They were mainly No

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-28279790

Yes but actual Scots, not English people living in Scotland etc. will probably vote 60%+ in favour of the referendum.

Scottish residents born in Scotland make up 87% of the population. If they vote 60% in favour it'll pass, but that's not what the polls say. You're pulling figures out of thin air.

So put his family second?

You obviously don't have kids.

I have 2 (born in Glasgow). Would I uproot them just to vote in a referendum? probably not although I would not be 'furious'

Is that what your bookie friend told you when relieving you of your money at 7/2?

I have 2 (born in Glasgow). Would I uproot them just to vote in a referendum? probably not although I would not be 'furious'

You know the Scots, they get furious over the slightest thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That pledge that the 3 party leaders made has serious potential to backfire.

It looks very desperate making new pledges a couple if days before the vote.

Maybe it'll prove to be a clever move but I doubt it.
    If I was undecided I'd imagine id be pushed more towards yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Paddypower predicting a Yes vote...
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Man finds piece of fried chicken that looks like Britain - minus Scotland

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/weird-news/independence-referendum-man-stunned-find-4275109

Johngoose wrote: »

1/4 for a No is not PP predicting a Yes

Noblong wrote: »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/weird-news/independence-referendum-man-stunned-find-4275109
    and minus much of the SE no East Anglia or kent, or Wales.
    It looks like a bit of chicken!!!! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Johngoose wrote: »

I wish you were my bookie :)

1/4 for a No is not PP predicting a Yes

Don't be such a scaremongerer.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept, what a load of utter horseshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

that's it...it's done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

It will be a resounding no. Shock 60%+ landslide. Alex Salmond to resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Live debate on channel 4, hosted by Jon snow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Lnaa

Personally, I hope Scotland votes yes. However, not for the usual reasons. Personally, I feel Scotland is better off as part of the union as I feel Scotland and Wales do well out of it. However, I firmly believe the current system of government in the UK is redundant, and does the common man, particularly in England, nothing but harm. I am no fan of neoliberalism and I am ever less of a fan of the way there is overspending in London and the south-east to the detriment of great cities and regions in Northern England.

I was pleased to read that there is already thought towards a devolved assembly in Manchester. I think Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Yorkshire (divided into Leeds and Yorkshire?) and other areas very much should be in control of their own affairs.

Currently it seems everything in the UK is focussed on London. In fact, really, it always has been. The people of Manchester, Liverpool and other areas deserve better. I think only if the Scots vote yes will Westminster be rattled enough to concede that a federal, rather than a centralist, system is the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Final polls just released show no on 53%, yes on 47%

and no on 52%, yes on 48%

Looks like no will carry it but it's still going to be very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

so are we watching the decline and fall of the UK according to some posters??or is it a case of people re-affirming their commitment to the 300 year old union?? if the vote goes for Yes then big changes ahead, and if it is a No-still big changes ahead with regards to Devo-Max,(which will be watered down imo to go through Parliament),but if not watered down and it is passed in Parliament then there will demands for it to be given to the other Nations in the UK,maybe even a devolved Parliament for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

60% yes vote lads !

wait n see.

:D

kingchess wrote: »
    so are we watching the decline and fall of the UK according to some posters??or is it a case of people re-affirming their commitment to the 300 year old union?? if the vote goes for Yes then big changes ahead, and if it is a No-still big changes ahead with regards to Devo-Max,(which will be watered down imo to go through Parliament),but if not watered down and it is passed in Parliament then there will demands for it to be given to the other Nations in the UK,maybe even a devolved Parliament for England.

For a devolved English parliament read City of London and Boris Johnson. England needs a devolved parliament like a hole in the head. What it needs is some form of control being handed to the cities and regions of the north (and Midlands?) which are ignored by Westminster.

kingchess wrote: »
    and if it is a No-still big changes ahead with regards to Devo-Max,(which will be watered down imo to go through Parliament),but if not watered down and it is passed in Parliament then there will demands for it to be given to the other Nations in the UK,maybe even a devolved Parliament for England.

It is not Devo Max even before it goes to Parliament. What is going to Parliament is the Labour (weakest) proposals and that will get even more watered down.

The folk who will go to the No side because of this late panic will be disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Final polls just released show no on 53%, yes on 47%

and no on 52%, yes on 48%

Looks like no will carry it but it's still going to be very close.

These opinion polls were conducted before the guy found a chicken shapers like Britain without Scotland.

So I wouldn't rely on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How many years have you been on here defending Britain Fred? You maight be redundant soon! ;)

You might find that Britain will remain - irrespective of the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

LorMal wrote: »
    You might find that Britain will remain - irrespective of the vote.

Yeah the island of Great Britain is hardly going to physically break up. The United Kingdom however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Live debate on channel 4, hosted by Jon snow

Madness how the media are left do this 9 hours before polling starts.It should be a 24 hour media ban beforehand like we do here.

I wouldn't mind the opinion polls.

Its very tight.

Whatever way that chicken votes could swing it either way.

• Advertisement

It is not Devo Max even before it goes to Parliament. What is going to Parliament is the Labour (weakest) proposals and that will get even more watered down.

The folk who will go to the No side because of this late panic will be disappointed

I've not read the latest offer. What's the difference between now, what's on offer and devo max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

free battered mars bars for all if people vote no....

that could swing it

Madness how the media are left do this 9 hours before polling starts.It should be a 24 hour media ban beforehand like we do here.

I think its great.

I don't see the point in moratoriums a day before a referendum. They're useless.

Why? Surely the UK can make up its own mind how things should be done? Also, what is the advantage of a 24 hour media ban? You could argue people should be informed right up until the last moment. I don't necessarily think a 24 hour ban is the way to go. What can be said, 24 hours from the finish line that hasn't been said in the years beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Actually no, I think the 24 hour ban here is completely childish.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Actually no, I think the 24 hour ban here is completely childish.

Also, where do you draw the line? I, like most on here, can't vote tomorrow, but what would have sealed it for me is that there is an idea to give Manchester devolved powers. Should that kind of news be included in a 24 hour moratorium through relation to the issue?

Not going to sway voters I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lapin wrote: »
    I think its great.

I don't see the point in moratoriums a day before a referendum. They're useless.

I can see where the use would be in a media ban. A bit of respite is there to let people convalesce and collect the pros and cons in their own minds, instead of potentially affected by the last bit of desperate, potentially libelous mud-slinging they heard as they were heading out the door to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Anyone watching the debate on channel 4? Talk about a fickle audience. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Go on Scotland, call their bluff !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement