Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Why would they be less likely to cheer him on?

He's not as good as he was the was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Don't know, because I don't know how we would have turned out if we'd stayed. I'd like to see greater integration among the four nations of the British Isles though, maybe a loose confederation.

Haha!

We gave it 800 or so years and it didn't really work well being British occupied.

But yes, as you say , maybe we needed to give it more time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Haha!

We gave it 800 or so years and it didn't really work well being British occupied.

This old rubbish again.

How the hell do these history contortionists manage to weave this crap into every discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

There really should be a media ban for 24 hrs beforehand.

Many of the papers today have a spread pleading for a NO vote!

At this stage such propaganda should be stopped from both sides of the argument and let people have time to think about how they are going to vote without the media trying to pull on heartstrings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

dubscottie wrote: »
    Rwanda and Mozambique both rejoined the Commonwealth..

When were they colonised by the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Best of luck to Scotland today..

'Frrrrrrrreeeeeeeedddddddooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

When were they colonised by the UK
    Scotland was never colonised :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

After a fascinating campaign, the UK begins to break up today, whatever the outcome. I cannot see anyone or anything that can stop it imploding now.
    Interesting times ahead for all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

kefir32 wrote: »

No, but it was just hoovered into another country. It wasn't colonized because there was no need too. Just the UK doing its usual "this is ours now".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

People everywhere and in every circumstance fear change, be it be in the workplace, your choice of where to live whatever,I think that Scottish people overall will decide that independence was a nice to have, not a must have, and won't vote for it.

would be delighted to be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Happyman42 wrote: »
    After a fascinating campaign, the UK begins to break up today, whatever the outcome. I cannot see anyone or anything that can stop it imploding now.
    Interesting times ahead for all of us.

Keep dreaming.

The 'No' vote will be so overwhelming that there will be no future discussion on the break-up of the UK for a couple of generations at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Did I say Scotland was colonised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Haha!

What did the Romans ever do......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Keep dreaming.

The 'No' vote will be so overwhelming that there will be no future discussion on the break-up of the UK for a couple of generations at least.

How can you be so confident of a landslide when the polls are so tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good luck to Scotland. We needed guns. You only need a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

NIMAN wrote: »
    About to head off to bed after a night shift, will be interested to switch on the news later today to hear what the Exit polls are saying.

Will also enjoy tomorrow nights' shift, with the bulk of the counts due to come in between 3am and 6am.

Will be a fascinating day, although one which I feel will ultimately produce a NO vote.

You stay classy Scotland.

There will be no exit polls..
    EXIT POLLS

Reuters knows of no exit polls planned for after polling stations close at 2200 London time.

The latest aggregate poll of opinion polls puts the anti-independence camp on 51 percent, the secessionists on 49.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/17/uk-scotland-independence-results-idUKKBN0HC1OC20140917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be UN observers for this vote. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will predict 55-45 to the No side.

D'ont think it will be close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The Stuarts became the first rulers of GB, but didn't take long for them to get the chop literally. The heartlands of Jacobite support were then cleared out of their population to make way for the estates of the "gentry".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

tigger123 wrote: »
    No, but it was just hoovered into another country. It wasn't colonized because there was no need too. Just the UK doing its usual "this is ours now".

There really should be a requirement to understand at least a little bit of history before posting in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There really should be a requirement to understand at least a little bit of history before posting in this thread.

That would spoil it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

tigger123 wrote: »
    How can you be so confident of a landslide when the polls are so tight?

The vast majority of undecided will swing 'no'.
    A proportion of the 'yes' vote will get cold feet when push comes to shove and switch to 'no'.

It won't be a landslide 'no' vote, but it will be comprehensive - certainly above 10points, possibly up to 15.

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

WillHill have odds of the YES vote falling inbetween 45.01-50 at evens.

Anyone think that's a good bet? A lot of the NO stuff is very short and far too risky. I'm pretty sure YES can get at least 45%, it would be disappointing from their point of view if they didn't.

Jinonatron wrote: »
    Although this will have little impact on my life in general, I hope it is a yes. I am firmly of the belief that despite the scarmongering Scotland is well able to cope on it's own and I think smaller countries are better for everyone as everyone has more self determination.

fair enough, so its an independent Wales next - and a sovereign Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The markets have priced it as follows atm:

YES majority 17.7% probability
    NO majority 82.3% probability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Alba go brath!

First Up wrote: »
    fair enough, so its an independent Wales next - and a sovereign Northern Ireland.

If there's one thing I've learnt from boards, it is that self determination is the most important thing there is.

Except for northern Ireland, Gibraltar and the Falklands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If there's one thing I've learnt from boards, it is that self determination is the most important thing there is.

What does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

And Hong Kong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Not enough attention at school was it?
    'Look at me' says fred 'Look at meeeeee'

Awfully sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

WillHill have odds of the YES vote falling inbetween 45.01-50 at evens.

Anyone think that's a good bet? A lot of the NO stuff is very short and far too risky. I'm pretty sure YES can get at least 45%, it would be disappointing from their point of view if they didn't.

Yes, thats good. In fact, its an arb versus betfair where you should be able to lay it at 1.96 or so.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What does that mean?

It means the common consensus is that those places automatically, despite the very obvious wishes of their populations, belong to their nearest neighbour, based solely on geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Mr.David wrote: »
    Yes, thats good. In fact, its an arb versus betfair where you should be able to lay it at 1.96 or so.

Bookies are beginning to shorten heavily on NO, PaddyPower has just moved in from 1.22 to 1.20 in the last hour.

I want to bet on it, but worry they'll get less than 45% now (not more).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Noblong wrote: »
    And Hong Kong..

And the Chagos Islands...

Noblong wrote: »
    And Hong Kong..

Shame, but legal treaties are legal treaties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Nermal wrote: »
    And the Chagos Islands...
    And Bermuda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What does that mean?

It means that despite the wishes of the people the land should automatically "belong" to it's nearest neighbour. The Falklands voted, with a huge majority - 90%, to remain a UK territory last year but these people think it should be part of Argentina, against the will of the people. NI is part of the UK but the same people think that it should merge with the RoI, despite the fact that the people of N.I. and the RoI, for the most-part, have no desire for a union.

More interesting again, is the fact that these same people will tell you that the RoI and NI should merge because we are on the same island but they are hoping for an independent Scotland today and thus a break up of the Great Britain, as an island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Berserker wrote: »
    More interesting again, is the fact that these same people will tell you that the RoI and NI should merge because we are on the same island but they are hoping for an independent Scotland today and thus a break up of the Great Britain, as an island.

That's such deliberately simplistic logic. They're two different countries with vastly different histories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Berserker wrote: »
    It means that despite the wishes of the people the land should automatically "belong" to it's nearest neighbour. The Falklands voted, with a huge majority - 90%, to remain a UK territory last year but these people think it should be part of Argentina, against the will of the people. NI is part of the UK but the same people think that it should merge with the RoI, despite the fact that the people of N.I. and the RoI, for the most-part, have no desire for a union.

While normally not wanting to agree with the overly nationalist element on boards thats a bit simplistic.

Northern Ireland contains plenty of areas with a majority in favor of becoming a part of the republic. Before partition a large majority of the entire island wanted to cede from the UK. If a parish in Dublin contains a huge majority of Poles who want to join with Poland should they be allowed. Its a lot more complicated then the Falklands.

Lumping the situation of Northern Ireland with the Falklands in the same bowl.........?????, any eejit can tell the Falkland is and should remain British, the French and Spanish probably have more legitimate claims then the Argentinians.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    While normally not wanting to agree with the overly nationalist element on boards thats a bit simplistic.

Northern Ireland contains plenty of areas with a majority in favor of becoming a part of the republic. Before partition a large majority of the entire island wanted to cede from the UK. If a parish in Dublin contains a huge majority of Poles who want to join with Poland should they be allowed. Its a lot more complicated then the Falklands.

Lumping the situation of Northern Ireland with the Falklands in the same bowl.........?????, any eejit can tell the Falkland is and should remain British, the French and Spanish probably have more legitimate claims then the Argentinians.

It is simplistic, but most of the proponents of the yes campaign appear to see the world this simply.

• Advertisement

It is simplistic, but most of the proponents of the yes campaign appear to see the world this simply.

When justification for something is found more in the past than in the future, it is time to review the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've avoided this thread largely the last few weeks because it was fairly obvious who we'd see arguing the same points over and over again on both sides :)

That said the big day is here and I'd like to wish all of my Scottish friends the very best today. As a proud Englishman I hope they vote 'no'. But if I was Scottish I can't say that I wouldn't be very, very tempted to vote 'Yes' in the face of all logic. it must be such a tempting and exciting prospect.

Good luck to them and hopefully whatever the result we can all move forward as friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Voted this morning at 8:30, not as busy as I thought it would be, although seems that there were a lot of people in early

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

Why not? I'm sure bother would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Voted this morning at 8:30, not as busy as I thought it would be, although seems that there were a lot of people in early

What way you vote :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

What time did polls open at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's such deliberately simplistic logic. They're two different countries with vastly different histories.

I am breaking the argument down using the same simplistic logic that Nationalists use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

When justification for something is found more in the past than in the future, it is time to review the argument.

No justifcation was sought useing Irelands history. Useing the troubles for staying together however?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Keep dreaming.

The vast majority of undecided will swing 'no'.
    A proportion of the 'yes' vote will get cold feet when push comes to shove and switch to 'no'.

It won't be a landslide 'no' vote, but it will be comprehensive - certainly above 10points, possibly up to 15.

You heard it here first.

How do you know? You a psychic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

realies wrote: »
    What way you vote :-)

That is between me and the ballot box :) Irrespective of how people vote I think that it is a good thing that so many people have engaged with the issues around the referendum, I hope that as many people as possible exercise their right to vote.
    What time did polls open at?

7am, close at 10pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement