Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Calm it kingchess. I just asked a question no need to get personal.
    I am calm,you said I had something to prove,I am asking you again-what must I prove?/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Lol:rolleyes: wouldn't a Rangers fan be more likely pro Union?

Not all of us no in fact in a straw poll of all the Rangers fans I know it stands at roughly 50/50

Your username says it all.

You biased scot and rangers fan

What does it matter what football team he supports or doesn't support :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

What does it matter what football team he supports or doesn't support :confused:

Indeed.... Can't we all put sporting differences aside, join together & hate Aberdeen?

Indeed.... Can't we all put sporting differences aside, join together & hate Aberdeen?

I really did have a laugh at that

If the referendum fails, how long will it be before another would be allowed?

If the margin of defeat is as wide as the polls suggest, It would be a long time before the matter is returned to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

If the margin of defeat is as wide as the polls suggest, It would be a long time before the matter is returned to.

Basically never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

I know this may sound trivial but if majority of people vote yes then yes it should happen and yes personally i would like to see that happen, as throughout the history Scots have had their own country so can understand the desire to take it back and manage it on their own.
    Id also like to see Northern Ireland be following the similar referendum and be joined back to Ireland ...but that's another topic...

• Advertisement

Basically never again.

Basically, yes.

Because it may well be the end of Salmond & a slump for the SNP.

Basically, yes.

Because it may well be the end of Salmond & a slump for the SNP.

I think if it is a no vote then Salmond is finished but the SNP will carry on and there will be another vote but not in the next 10/15 years. Just an opinion no one can say for certain

I think if it is a no vote then Salmond is finished but the SNP will carry on and there will be another vote but not in the next 10/15 years. Just an opinion no one can say for certain

The SNP will still be very strong for sure.

But I think the Scottish Labour party will increase vote share..... The SNP could be pushed hard as being Scotland's biggest party.

The SNP will still be very strong for sure.

ButcI think the Scottish Labour party will increase vote share..... The SNP could be pushed hard as being Scotland's biggest party.

The problem is at the moment the labour party in Scotland will while being strong is seen by many people as to much like the tories due to their English counterparts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

"Biased" these figure are from the British Government themselves!!! (GERS REPORT)

I don't know exactly which video, you'll have to look but your not good at that. :D
    In other words you have nothing to back up your claim. So how do I know you didn't just pull it out of your arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

there will never be another vote....that is why it is vital for Scotland to garp this chance.
    there will always be some excuse for them not to be given another chance....not like NI where it is written into law that they must just wait 7 years to try again

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    In other words you have nothing to back up your claim. So how do I know you didn't just pull it out of your arse?

I agree scottie 99 has alot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

fryup wrote: »
    the commonwealth games currently held in Glasgow with union jacks abound

masterful ploy by the tories to entice them to stay??? or am i reading too much into it??

Glasgow was chosen seven years ago by an independent panel. The Tories had and have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Not all of us no in fact in a straw poll of all the Rangers fans I know it stands at roughly 50/50
    Agreed. That's why I said more likely.

I agree scottie 99 has alot to answer for.

I gave the Scotsman link to the cuts. The photo came from "business for Scotland" video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I am a Rangers fan and I am 100% in favour of independence. Im from a small island in Scotland and nearly everyone on my facebook from there is also in favour of it, and they are very vocal about it too. However friends in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee are voicing both for and against. I think most people have no real idea what to vote for, they are scared and worry that for some reason the country would collapse and, well its just pathetic really.

• Advertisement

I am a Rangers fan and I am 100% in favour of independence. Im from a small island in Scotland and nearly everyone on my facebook from there is also in favour of it, and they are very vocal about it too. However friends in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee are voicing both for and against. I think most people have no real idea what to vote for, they are scared and worry that for some reason the country would collapse and, well its just pathetic really.

Agreed. It's all out there for people to read. What concerning be is bull being spewed by the government led press e.g BBC Pravda, Telegraph etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Lapin wrote: »
    Sammond choosing St George's Day to make his first pro independence speech on English soil was harmlessly cheeky !

Personaly I think the Scots would be mad to break up the Union.

The UK as a united entity is a much stronger than a splinered cluster of 4 seperate nations.

Scottish independence will also have a detrimental impact on the Labour Party's representation at Westminster, resulting in the Conservitaves and Lib Dems gaining a greater balance of power there.

Not good for democracy.

I don't think it will happen anyway.

How is the Scots exercising a democratic vote and the English exercising a democratic vote not good for democracy? If the english want to inflict the Torys on themselves that's their business. Just wish they'd stop inflicting them on us (probably also how the Scots feel) which is truly undemocratic.

The odds have lengthened further on a 'Yes'

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/scottish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=451400

9/2...... vs 1/7 for 'No'....

Obviously, Scottie has wagered his mortgage knowing he is full certain of victory.... Though every polling company & every bookie say otherwise.

What you might find is that Westminister will cut Scottish powers again. Taking away any opportunity to do it again..

The odds have lengthened further on a 'Yes'

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/scottish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=451400

9/2...... vs 1/7 for 'No'....

Obviously, Scottie has wagered his mortgage knowing he is full certain of victory.... Though every polling company & every bookie say otherwise.

Does that say 5th October?

Does that say 5th October?

So how much have you wagered.... I mean, you must think its just free money the bookies are giving away?

Oh it's gonna tight - know doubt maybe a fag papers width.

Referendum is on the 18th September BTW

if they do vote for independence they should do all right,a lot of countries have gone independent with a lot less assets,and if they vote NO,the English have said they will devolve more power to Scotland;

kingchess wrote: »
    if they do vote for independence they should do all right,a lot of countries have gone independent with a lot less assets,and if they vote NO,the English have said they will devolve more power to Scotland;

The English?

You mean the UK government.

yes,my mistake its the UK government,

• Advertisement

kingchess wrote: »
    yes,my mistake its the UK government,

Yea the English think still think they subsidise Scotland. Asfor our assets,£1trillion worth of oil is still under the North Sea. Then there's the Clyde basin, where some experts say it's bigger than the North Sea.
    No bad for a wee country that is too poor to look after itself :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Yea the English think still think they subsidise Scotland. Asfor our assets,£1trillion worth of oil is still under the North Sea. Then there's the Clyde basin, where some experts say it's bigger than the North Sea.

Or according to some - too stupid:mad:

Madam wrote: »
    Or according to some - too stupid:mad:

Remember your British history,the wars you won together,so to quote Lord Nelson"-England expects that every man will do his duty".:D

Not the English, London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

awec wrote: »
    Would Scotland be able to just take ownership of these oil and gas fields that currently belong to the UK?

If they are as a big a cash cow as made out why would the UK government agree to just hand them over? :confused:

This is the question. Do they get 90% based on borders or 9% based on population. It will be hotly debated and all the while the reserves are depleting. Aberdeen has noticed already and has been switching from a primary economy to a tertiary economy wrt oil and gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Scotland joined the union because it was too poor to look after itself. :cool:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Scotland joined the union because it was too poor to look after itself. :cool:

Scotland joined the union because a group of nobles sold the country for land and title. It can be dressed up any way you like but that is the crux of the matter

Scotland joined the union because a group of nobles sold the country for land and title. It can be dressed up any way you like but that is the crux of the matter

They sold the country because they put all their eggs in one basket, sailed it to Panama and it sunk. Simplified version I know.

Slightly deviating from things the one thing that has really annoyed me about the referendum is the fools that seem to think because I would like an independent Scotland that I must hate the English etc etc it is a load of nonsense. I have no doubt there are idiots who think like this but most don't. It is the same the other way with the uber nationalists who think they have a right to abuse people of the no persuasion.
    My thoughts are people must vote with their conscience after getting as mucg information as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

The trouble with the uber nationalists is that they are touting for some kind of Utopia the day after independence. Imo the first few years(maybe as much as 30 or 40)it will be a long and at times a hard transition before we can cut the apron strings from Westminster to come out into the light standing on our own two feet proud and at last to plan our own destiny with confidence.

Madam wrote: »
    The trouble with the uber nationalists is that they are touting for some kind of Utopia the day after independence. Imo the first few years(maybe as much as 30 or 40)it will be a long and at times a hard transition before we can cut the apron strings from Westminster to come out into the light standing on our own two feet proud and at last to plan our own destiny with confidence.

Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Theyll lose free postage from Amazon.co.uk if they do leave :eek:

not to mention BBC scotland

Yeah because you can't get BBC anywhere else :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I think we would be glad to get rid of that propaganda channel once and for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I definitely support Scottish Independence, but they are some slight contradictions, like the fact Scots receive 15% percent more public funding then the rest of Britain does. I think there is some ambiguity about what a post-Independence would like too.

• Advertisement

I definitely support Scottish Independence, but they are some slight contradictions, like the fact Scots receive 15% percent more public funding then the rest of Britain does. I think there is some ambiguity about what a post-Independence would like too.

...and also Scotland contributes more per head. There was an article in the FT saying, Scotland would be £7billion or 11% better off post independence.
    There's YouTube video on this thread about the UKs own report (GERS)which states how Scotland pays more and receives less.

...and also Scotland contributes more per head. There was an article in the FT saying, Scotland would be £7billion or 11% better off post independence.
    There's YouTube video on this thread about the UKs own report (GERS)which states how Scotland pays more and receives less.

Propaganda is what that is
    Hear say dosent stand up.
    Argue the facts not fiction.

Propaganda is what that is
    Hear say dosent stand up.
    Argue the facts not fiction.

Facts not suit your arguement? Are you questioning the FT? The leading financial newspaper in the world?

Oh that's before we talk about oil?
    Now do you see why London wants to keep "the benefit scroungers from the North!":D

Facts not suit your arguement? Are you questioning the FT? The leading financial newspaper in the world?

I am questioning and exposing your posts.
    I questioning your flawed principles.
    I am questioning your economic and historical right to pursue Scottish independence.
    I am questioning you.

Its time for FREEDOM

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement