Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

realies wrote: »
    It's happened lots of times Fred and you know it, most recent one was some brittish paper saying Kate tailor was a brittish champion boxer, same in music with U2, thin lizzy boomtown rats etc,but it's ok as were all part of the home nations....

I agree that all those examples are misleading descriptions of people as British. However:

U2: half of them born in London;

Thin Lizzy: Several members from NI, including the founders;

Boomtown Rats: Geldof had an English grandmother;

Katie Taylor: has an English father.

If it was the other way around, we would definitely be staking some sort of a claim of our own on them - even if only in a Tubridy/Kenny interview sort of a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

It happens all the time apparently, especially with Andy Murray, but a two year old article about Katie Taylor is all you can come up with.

Wasn't even an article, it was a run down of what was on at the Olympics that day, and was apologised for on Twitter, Facebook and the website within an hour.

Still, if Shane McGowan and half the Irish football team that were born in England can be claimed as Irish, we could surely claim Taylor if we wanted, given her parentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It happens all the time apparently, especially with Andy Murray, but a two year old article about Katie Taylor is all you can come up with.

Fred still clinging to his denials.
    Bless. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's happened lots of times Fred and you know it, most recent one was some brittish paper saying Kate tailor was a brittish champion boxer, same in music with U2, thin lizzy boomtown rats etc,but it's ok as were all part of the home nations....
    Lots more but you can look for them yourself.
    Every year it happens. The British papers are like clockwork. A successful Irish athlete suddenly becomes British ... Always been like that, just like writers.

Piliger wrote: »
    Every year it happens. The British papers are like clockwork. A successful Irish athlete suddenly becomes British ... Always been like that, just like writers.

Successful Irish athlete? Now I know you're lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

As per the Rubberbandits demands to the Queen,

"Stop calling Oscar Wilde British whenever he's referred to as a genius, and Irish whenever he's referred to as gay. He was a bent Irish genius. Let's just leave it at that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

briany wrote: »
    As per the Rubberbandits demands to the Queen,

"Stop calling Oscar Wilde British whenever he's referred to as a genius, and Irish whenever he's referred to as gay. He was a bent Irish genius. Let's just leave it at that."

I've never once heard or seen Wilde referred to as english. There's an awful lot of Irish paranoia in this thread. You're a tiny country, be proud of your few successes. We don't want or need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Piliger wrote: »

Hardly ever happens and when it does, most people shrug it off and laugh.

Only the very culturally and nationally insecure become righteously indignant over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have heard there are no exit polls for this ref?

BBC aren't doing one anyway

• Advertisement

Hardly ever happens and when it does, most people shrug it off and laugh.

Only the very culturally and nationally insecure become righteously indignant over it.

Nobody in the UK took offence at you claiming Ray Houghton, John Aldridge or any others as Irish. Not even your hero Cascarino.

As for Barack Obama, reel your necks in lads, you're making yourselves look daft.

I've heard Wilde referred to as British, which, given the time we lived in, was correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

efb wrote: »
    BBC aren't doing one anyway

Nor are the other mainstream outlets. There are private ones being done by the campaigners, which the BBC etc will probably report on, but they won't carry as much weight as the General Election exit polls because of the uniqueness of the referendum.

Nobody in the UK took offence at you claiming Ray Houghton, John Aldridge or any others as Irish. Not even your hero Cascarino.

As for Barack Obama, reel your necks in lads, you're making yourselves look daft.

Probably becaused they 'declared' themselves Irish.

And nobody is getting indignant or paranoid, we are just laughing at them. Chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I've never once heard or seen Wilde referred to as english. There's an awful lot of Irish paranoia in this thread. You're a tiny country, be proud of your few successes. We don't want or need them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1566243/Oscar-Wilde-voted-greatest-British-wit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You mean that wasn't his family's petrol station I filled up at last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What I want to know is when this new movie SWAT is coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

efb wrote: »
    I've heard Wilde referred to as British, which, given the time we lived in, was correct

Yes, but by the time he was convicted of gross indecency he was well and truly Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Prediction, +5%- 10% win for the no side. People are a lot more conservative in the polling booth than they are when they are asked a direct question by a person in a pre-election poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

You mean that wasn't his family's petrol station I filled up at last week?

Did you come here to chuckle at the irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Successful Irish athlete? Now I know you're lying.

When you start calling people liars you really have lost the plot and the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So what do we call Britain if the Scots decide to divorce them? Lesser Britain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Fred still clinging to his denials.
    Bless. :rolleyes:

It's an urban myth that people love to get all upset about. Some people just enjoy getting offended so much that they make stuff up.

laugh wrote: »

Saving on the fuel cost! He he converted before the Sterling collapse!

It's an urban myth

It's not, it has happened a lot.
    I find it hilarious myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

gandalf wrote: »
    So what do we call Britain if the Scots decide to divorce them? Lesser Britain :D

You hear that sound, that's the sound on heads exploding, prepare thyself....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Yep, like for that SWAT movie.

Eleven years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I find it hilarious myself.

It really hasn't.

The only time I ever hear it is if English people are deliberately on the wind up.

Like mentioning 1966 ;)

Yep, like for that SWAT movie.

Eleven years ago.

Does time passing mean it 'never happened'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

laugh wrote: »

What a strange comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I heard bookies already paying out on a no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Let's move on from trying to list cases of Irish people being claimed as British and get back to discussing the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Like mentioning 1966 ;)

West Ham fans, give the rest of the country a bad name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Vote YES & William Wallace now trending in Ireland :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fatboypee wrote: »

To that point, the real worst outcome would be a marginal NO. Notwithstanding the political fallout, or the damage to Brand Scotland in terms of investment or trust, and as much as (in my opinion) a marginal NO would somewhat massage the ego of Salmond in defeat, the whole debate has caused the relationship with England in particular,to be considerably damaged / eroded by this. Natural, you may argue, given the gravity of what is at stake, but after this, its not likely to go back to "it never happened"..

Hope the YES gets it.. :)

Agreed, a marginal No victory will still be a huge victory for Salmond. He is a winner here no matter what because even if Scotland votes no the three main parties are already on record as promising DevoMax as the reward to a No vote. The problem for them is they haven't agreed with what new powers Scotland and already backbenchers are up in arms over rewarding Scotland for nearly telling the UK to split. So when it comes down to negotiations and the three main parties begin to roll back on promises Salmond can easily sell the story that Westminister is shortchanging Scotland yet again.

Any win by the No side tonight is nothing more than a Pyrrhic victory. The older generations who voted No will die out and the calls for an independent Scotland will get stronger as the years go on. If Scotland doesn't win independence tonight they have still taken a major steping stone towards it. Even if it gets defeated this referendum will have made an impossible dream seem real for a majority of Scots, no-one would have thought independence was possible three months ago but this campaign has changed all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/16/politics/us-scotland-vote/

Obama speaks...now I'm hoping for a yes vote. I guess Soros told him to get out there

Or he was moved by Geldofs comments.

I notice he left it until the last minute with a swing to no, after all he normally backs a loser in these things, I bet Cameron is now crapping himself..

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agreed, a marginal No victory will still be a huge victory for Salmond. He is a winner here no matter what because even if Scotland votes no the three main parties are already on record as promising DevoMax as the reward to a No vote. The problem for them is they haven't agreed with what new powers Scotland and already backbenchers are up in arms over rewarding Scotland for nearly telling the UK to split. So when it comes down to negotiations and the three main parties begin to roll back on promises Salmond can easily sell the story that Westminister is shortchanging Scotland yet again.

Any win by the No side tonight is nothing more than a Pyrrhic victory. The older generations who voted No will die out and the calls for an independent Scotland will get stronger as the years go on. If Scotland doesn't win independence tonight they have still taken a major steping stone towards independence.

Yes have certainly run the better campaign. Whether there is an inevitability to independence is another matter. You could argue that this was perfect timing for the SNP with Cameron and Osborne the faces of the UK parliament in Westminster. Talk about an open goal.

If there's a labour government in power in a year's time, stuffed with Scottish cabinet ministers - the feeling will probably be different. Same as if this referendum had been held under Blair or Brown - it wouldn't even have been close.

In general people are too willing to equate Scotland and Ireland. The numbers of people I hear saying "scotland should be free" is embarrassing. There's an assumption that everyone in scotland WANTS to be independent and it is only fear stopping them. That's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Our irish adviser to the scots :)http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwx2ce_AyOE

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Muahahaha wrote: »

Any win by the No side tonight is nothing more than a Pyrrhic victory. The older generations who voted No will die out and the calls for an independent Scotland will get stronger as the years go on. If Scotland doesn't win independence tonight they have still taken a major steping stone towards it. Even if it gets defeated this referendum will have made an impossible dream seem real for a majority of Scots, no-one would have thought independence was possible three months ago but this campaign has changed all that.

Sure we've been saying when the Unionists die out in NI for years, people change as they get older some of the young people voting no might vote yes in 10 years while some voting yes might vote no. It will come down come to individual circumstances. People will do what's best for themselves at that point in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

In a British program about Samuel L Jackson and Colin Farrell’s lastest movie SWAT presented by British presenter, Kate Thornton, the following exchange occured:

Thornton: What was it like working with Colin (Farrell), cos he is just so hot in the U.K. right now?

Jackson: He’s pretty hot in the U.S. too.

Thornton: Yeah, but he is one of our own.

Jackson: Isn’t he from Ireland?

Thornton: Yeah, but we can claim him cos Ireland is beside us.

Jackson: You see that’s your problem right there. You British keep claiming people that don’t belong to you. We had that problem here in America too, it was called slavery.

Lots more but you can look for them yourself.

Sorry, but what is the issue? Who the hell cares? Do you really think anyone in Britain really gives a rats where Katie Taylor is from? Or Colin Farrell?? Really? (or maybe its just you).
    And as for Thin Lizzy and the Boomtown Rats - 30 years ago at least. (Holding on a bit tight there, aren't you?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

If there's a labour government in power in a year's time, stuffed with Scottish cabinet ministers - the feeling will probably be different. Same as if this referendum had been held under Blair or Brown - it wouldn't even have been close.

Sure, but the tories are in power most of the time. If you look at who's been in power for the past 60-70 years you'll see the Tories have been in power far more than Labour have.

You're also negating the fact that we've had the worst economic downturn since the great depression, its what caused the pro independence Quebec movement to suspend a third referendum until economic conditions improve. There can be better conditions for the SNP should they choose to hold a future referendum 15-20 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

Whatever the result, there will be a lot of unhappy people tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Osvaldo

I will be slightly disappointed if YES doesn't win. Why?

Because Scottish Independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Scottish Referendum

Tweet mentions:

http://trendsmap.com/v2/Lf62/w

Paddy Power now have 1/5 for a No.
    7/2 for a Yes vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Is there any exit polling data available? I know the British media is not allowed but has any snuck through?

tvc15 wrote: »
    Is there any exit polling data available? I know the British media is not allowed but has any snuck through?

It would be an offence in Britan to do an exit poll on this one. So I guess we wont see any!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-what-you-shouldnt-tweet-about-if-you-want-to-avoid-jail-today-9740794.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Paddy Power now have 1/5 for a No.
    7/2 for a Yes vote.

Its been like that since this morning. I put £100 on at 1/5 around 11am.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Scottish Referendum

Tweet mentions:

http://trendsmap.com/v2/Lf62/w

I love that graphic.

I suppose it shows that younger people will be voting yes. But getting them off their arses to a polling station is always a challenge.

But the key demographic IMO is older people and middle class profesionals etc. They are the silent ones who will vote no.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement