Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does counting start once the polls close? Will they have a good idea of the result by late tonight early tomorrow morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its been like that since this morning. I put £100 on at 1/5 around 11am.

I suspect that you are on to a winner, but I dont have 1/5 levels of confidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Does counting start once the polls close? Will they have a good idea of the result by late tonight early tomorrow morning?

The big areas will be reporting from 5am to 6:30am. Final result expected then.

This is based on the last UK general election.
    However I reckon with so many people voting this time around the results will be slightly later.
    I am setting the clock for 4am tomorrow and will watch it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I love that graphic.

I suppose it shows that younger people will be voting yes. But getting them off their arses to a polling station is always a challenge.

But the key demographic IMO is older people and middle class profesionals etc. They are the silent ones who will vote no.

Twitter demographic probably young on average, but interesting to me is that it seems to show that Belfast excepted, sentiment in Ireland is overwhelmingly pro-Yes. Not the impression one would get from reading this particular thread however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

I'd love to see yes vote prevail but have a feeling it is going to be disappointing slight no result.....

Sure, but the tories are in power most of the time. If you look at who's been in power for the past 60-70 years you'll see the Tories have been in power far more than Labour have.

You're also negating the fact that we've had the worst economic downturn since the great depression, its what caused the pro independence Quebec movement to suspend a third referendum until economic conditions improve. There can be better conditions for the SNP should they choose to hold a future referendum 15-20 years down the line.

The economic difficulties of separation are only going to get worse unless something is done to reduce the power of international capital (I hope it is).

15 or 20 years down the line is 15 or 20 years closer to the oil running out.

This government is comfortably the most 'English' in the last 50 years I would guess. And certainly none has looked more removed from the concerns of the average scotsman. The tories, if they have ANY sense, will learn their lessons from this referendum.

In fact it may sound absurd but it's quite possible scotland will start voting for tories again. after all, FF are going up in the polls here, anything is possible!

The only plus side is that if people continue to get stupider over the years the % of people who think William Wallace was some sort of woad-painted highlander rather than a norman nobleman squabbling with another norman nobleman will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Hardly ever happens and when it does, most people shrug it off and laugh.

Only the very culturally and nationally insecure become righteously indignant over it.

I O D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

In fact it may sound absurd but it's quite possible scotland will start voting for tories again. after all, FF are going up in the polls here, anything is possible!

Don't know if that will happen, but what a lot of people don't realise is that although they currently have a solitary Scottish MP, they poll at a relatively respectable 15% in Scotland. The SNP only get around 5% more than that, but return a lot more MP's due to the vagaries of the First Past the Post system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Osvaldo

Because Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Osvaldo wrote: »
    Because Scotland.

Touches itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

LorMal wrote: »
    Sorry, but what is the issue? Who the hell cares? Do you really think anyone in Britain really gives a rats where Katie Taylor is from? Or Colin Farrell?? Really? (or maybe its just you).
    And as for Thin Lizzy and the Boomtown Rats - 30 years ago at least. (Holding on a bit tight there, aren't you?)

Just pointing out there it's going on for years and still does, why you getting upset ? Afraid your union is breaking up are we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Andy Murray says Yes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Most of the bookies are now 1/6 on or shorter. Paddy powers 1.16 for NO, just as well I got them at 1/5 earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Is there anyway it could end up being too close to call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Gintonious wrote: »
    No. One vote either way and it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes counting will start after polls close and continue overnight. Counting will begin around 11PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Most of the bookies are now 1/6 on or shorter. Paddy powers 1.16 for NO, just as well I got them at 1/5 earlier.

Surprised they are still taking bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes I saw that. Good for him. It is late in the day but there are a lot of undecided voters heading into today so good for him putting it out there. He certainly didn't have to do that. Although he is currently not resident in Scotland so he actually is not eligible to vote today himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Exit polls will be released as soon as polling stations close. So I reckon we'll have a good idea by the time we go to bed tonight

Gintonious wrote: »

There will be a result but I can see the voting being so close that it takes longer then in recent elections to get an official result. Also it looks like the turnout will be high so that also may delay when we get a final result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Exit polls will be released as soon as polling stations close. So I reckon we'll have a good idea by the time we go to bed tonight
    There are no exit polls for this referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

shezer wrote: »

That article from the Guardian talks as if voting is over and the result has already been declared 53-47. I find it pretty disturbing that media organisations are allowed to publish polls on the actual polling day while the polls are still open. If a decided voter is made to think there is no point in voting then they won't bother voting
    35cent wrote: »
    Whatever the result, there will be a lot of unhappy people tomorrow.

For sure, all of them in some way as its been a hugely divisive campaign, not helped my much of the fear that was bandied about, we saw it all ourselves during Lisbon 2. When its all done and dusted tomorrow morning you're left with a nation divided with one side bitter that the other prevented indpendence and the other side suspicious if the nationalists have any sense of Britishness at all. Then what could be worse is the reaction in England when its all said and done, suddenly some people there will be gaining their own sense of nationalism and saying 'we didn't want you anyway' and so it'll go on. A 70-30 outcome to either the Yes or the No side would have been far better for Scotland for the future that some sort of 50-50 split in the population.

First Up wrote: »
    Surprised they are still taking bets.

Me too, I've got £500 on this and I would bet more if I could.

Although £100 is on the YES vote scoring between 45.01-50. I admit I'm a bit worried about that now, at this rate they may struggle to hit 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I get the impression that Scotland is going to wake up tomorrow thinking 'Oh shit, what have we done?'.

What are they going to do without EU membership or a viable currency?

I get the impression that Scotland is going to wake up tomorrow thinking 'Oh shit, what have we done?'

No I don't think they will, a lot of Scots consider themselves British and that's that. Infact a sizeable number of Scots consider themselves British before being Scottish.

I'm honestly surprised the polls are as close as they are, I never thought Scotland would even consider independence at all. Personally I see them as akin to protestants in the north in terms of their loyalty to Britain. Your far more likely to encounter anti-Irish prejudice in Scotland than you are in England or in any part of the world.

Me too, I've got £500 on this and I would bet more if I could.

Although £100 is on the YES vote scoring between 45.01-50. I admit I'm a bit worried about that now, at this rate they may struggle to hit 40.

I think you will be fine. I expect the vote to end up close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I get the impression that Scotland is going to wake up tomorrow thinking 'Oh shit, what have we done?'.

They won't lose eu membership or currency in the morning. The outcome is subject to negotiation over the next couple of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Lnaa

To Kim's offer of a bj...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

So looks like it will be a NO already?

Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They won't lose eu membership or currency in the morning. The outcome is subject to negotiation over the next couple of years.

During which it would have haemorrhaged capital (financial and human) and could forget about getting any serious foreign investment.

But that's just me scaremongering I suppose.

• Advertisement

Holsten wrote: »

Shame.

How you know ?

Holsten wrote: »

Shame.

With the absence of any form of exit poll how can we have any idea how people are voting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"Do you want to run your own affairs"?

Ah ah no thanks, you do it for me.

Cowardice of the highest order.

If Scotland votes yes will the English build back up hadrians wall ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

One very important thing of note is that if it does come down to the wire either way, then just under half the population will be in a country they don't want to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The only market that's in any way relevant to this is the betfair one. It's been either 1/5 or 2/11 since last night and hasn't budged, so absolutely nothing has changed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

realies wrote: »

If Scotland votes yes they'll do to this country what whisky did to whiskey!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given how much of our own economic legislation (direct/indirect) emanates from Brussels it does seem rather odd that the Yes side seems to be ascertaining they aim for a close relationship with the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yes.

Apparently Berlin has an old wall they aren't using any more, David Cameron has already asked Angela about its availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Think it will be a no.

I don't understand bookies odds so don't know what those figures mean :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

"Do you want to run your own affairs"?

Ah ah no thanks, you do it for me.

Cowardice of the highest order.

Now, now, you don't know the result, so put your toys back into your pram. If the Scots decide to remain as part of the UK, after this democratic decision, then they are entitled to do so and they should have the full respect of anyone who respects democracy. As I said before, categorizing people as cowards because they chose a political path in life that you do not agree with, says an awful lot more about you than them, in a negative context. I have little doubt that many proud & passionate Scottish people chose to vote 'No', out of a sense of responsibility to their children and grandchildren, which resulted from their evaluation of the pros and cons of independence.

The British army will be deployed to the border region and anyone with a Scottish surname or accent will be required to purchase a visa to enter the UK ......

Berserker wrote: »
    Now, now, you don't know the result, so put your toys back into your pram. If the Scots decide to remain as part of the UK, after this democratic decision, then they are entitled to do so and they should have the full respect of anyone who respects democracy. As I said before, categorizing people as cowards because they chose a political path in life that you do not agree with, says an awful lot more about you than them, in a negative context.

It also shows a complete lack of understanding of how the "union" works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

BBC said yesterday that there were no exit polls for this?

Gotta love the url of this pro-union website... I didn't realise Scots were voting on whether or not they would exist after tomorrow :).

h ttp://noscotland.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

What happens if it's a draw, exactly 50/50?
    Does someone have the casting vote, does status quo prevail, or do they have a rerun of the vote?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

BBC said yesterday that there were no exit polls for this?

There are none. The only true indication is the final result and we will know that tomorrow morning.
    Lnaa wrote: »
    It also shows a complete lack of understanding of how the "union" works.

It doesn't actually. The Scots have been part of the Union for hundreds of years, so they know how it works.
    Does someone have the casting vote, does status quo prevail, or do they have a rerun of the vote?

That would be a remarkable result. The odds on that happening are ridiculously small.

They will do just fine. I think EU membership assuming they wanted it would be a fairly straighforward negotiation.

Listning to the newses on BBC and Rte it will be around six in the morning when they know the result, aprox .

Hahaha well I heard a story of a guy who couldn't decide so he tossed a coin and went with the coin toss. Imagine if the vote was decided by 1 vote and the press got wind of this guy what a story that would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Alex Salmond and Dave Cameron get butt naked and have a bare knuckle boxing match. Which was what Rupert Murdoch suggested in the first place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement