Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

In the event of a Yes vote, would Scotland have to negotiate a share of the existing British military or would Scotland have it's own independent defence force?

Would serving Scottish personnel want to transfer to the new Scottish forces or honour their oath & continue serving the United Kingdom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Tweet from Referendum Live (@ReferendumLive): "We have received reports that some polling stations may be closing early due to 100% attendance #indyref #yesscot"

That's unheard of.

The tweet was since deleted and replaced with this: https://twitter.com/ReferendumLive/status/512597517109051392

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Lnaa

Alex Salmond and Dave Cameron get butt naked and have a bare knuckle boxing match. Which was what Rupert Murdoch suggested in the first place.

Way out... Begbie and Phil Mitchell have a slugfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

eire4 wrote: »
    They will do just fine. I think EU membership assuming they wanted it would be a fairly straighforward negotiation.

I take it you have made yourself conversant with the detail of the Article 48 and Article 49 possibilities?
    Or am I scaremongering again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Expect a rise in the Yes vote towards 10 PM as drunk people begin to find the polling station. Fret not, their wives will have voted No earlier. Several times in fact due to the 16 and 17 year old revolutionaries being asleep in their beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

eire4 wrote: »
    They will do just fine. I think EU membership assuming they wanted it would be a fairly straighforward negotiation.

Why do people keep saying this. That is not the case.

- Barroso has stated that they will have to go through the application procedure.
    - Spain, for example, will block their application as it will cause them issues wrt Catalonia.

At best, an independent Scotland, would have to wait for membership for a few years, behind the countries who are currently going through the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The higher the turnout the better for the yes side in my opinion given 16 and 17 year olds can vote.

However I think fear will rule in the end and it will be no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BBC said yesterday that there were no exit polls for this?

You can be sure that the bookies have had people at the polls since morning and are using the data. That's why "No" odds have shortened so much today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Do you reckon we will get any counts before 2am?

Want to see this unfold but unsure should I hit bed at 10ish and get up 3/4am or will I have missed the tallies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

pedro1234 wrote: »
    Tweet from Referendum Live (@ReferendumLive): "We have received reports that some polling stations may be closing early due to 100% attendance #indyref #yesscot"

That's unheard of.

No matter what the result is, it has certainly gotten the Scottish people engaged with politics, which can only be a good thing.

@ReferendumLive:
    2014-09-18 16:43:43 UTC
    We are getting increasing reports of people changing their mind in the voting both from No to Yes #indyref #yesscot #VoteYes

Interesting.

Berserker wrote: »
    No matter what the result is, it has certainly gotten the Scottish people engaged with politics, which can only be a good thing.

Agreed, it's fantastic that some places had a 100% turnout.

If only we followed suit with our elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Do you reckon we will get any counts before 2am?

Want to see this unfold but unsure should I hit bed at 10ish and get up 3/4am or will I have missed the tallies?

They'll probably know by 3 AM unless it really is razor tight. Given the way the bookies and the money is flowing, I'd imagine the No vote will be taking shape by 3 to 4 AM. Sleep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

First Up wrote: »
    You can be sure that the bookies have had people at the polls since morning and are using the data. That's why "No" odds have shortened so much today.

Agreed the bookies aren't stupid. Its just a matter of how much NO wins by.

I fear they're going to get close to 60%, in some comfortable landslide. The whole thing will be like a wet fart if that happens.

They'll probably know by 3 AM unless it really is razor tight. Given the way the bookies and the money is flowing, I'd imagine the No vote will be taking shape by 3 to 4 AM. Sleep well.

I will be staying up so, I have 4 cans of beer in the coldest part of the fridge!

I've seen the drift on the exchanges, available at 5/1 but the bookies are only offering 7/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

That's unheard of.

The tweet was since deleted and replaced with this: https://twitter.com/ReferendumLive/status/512597517109051392

Maybe the yes campaign intimidation is working

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/18/1411049564730_wps_35_Independence_referendum_S.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I will be staying up so, I have 4 cans of beer in the coldest part of the fridge!

I wish I could stay up. I also have 4 beers residing in my fridges polar regions. But I will drink them right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Agreed, it's fantastic that some places had a 100% turnout.

If only we followed suit with our elections.

Its an Independence referendum tbf. Much bigger importance than a general election.

2/11 for no now on Paddy Power... barely any point waiting for the result.

Tonight's coverage...

BBC 1: Scotland Decides, on from 10.40pm until 6am, is presented by Huw Edwards live from Glasgow.

BBC 2 will be showing Newsnight with Kirsty Wark from 10.30pm until 11.20pm, bringing you the latest news on the referendum.

ITV: Scotland Decides will be on from 10.40pm until 6am. Alastair Stewart will be presenting the live coverage and crucial counts. Analysis will come from Tom Bradby, Joel Hills and Richard Edgar.

I'd say you could get better odds on Kirsty Wark getting her neeps and títties out before the morning than on Scotland voting yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Half tempted to do this myself. Got a pizza in the freezer too so hmmm???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Lnaa wrote: »

Paddy doesn't know. Paddy is responding to people laying bets and managing its risk. In a normal vote this is a good indicator - but much of the money in this vote is from regions where people do not have a say.

If Paddy knew betting would be suspended. They don't give money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How do PP know ?

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    How do PP know ?

Just because media outlets haven't gone to the trouble of making exit polls doesn't mean the bookies haven't. They just won't release their information because that would affect betting.

Guide to referendum night
    4.2m
    registered voters
    97% of electorate
    7am polls open
    10pm polls close,

counting begins 32 counts across Scotland

6:30-7:30am expected declaration
    Source: Elections Scotland

Paddy doesn't know. Paddy is responding to people laying bets and managing its risk. In a normal vote this is a good indicator - but much of the money in this vote is from regions where people do not have a say.

They don't know. You can bet they have a good idea though.

Very little difference between the odds now and last night.

Currently No is @ 1.19

Last night No was @ 1.24

Overwhelming favourites, but just look at it like this, you often see horses beaten at them prices! Especially when you back them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

But a lot of people aren't putting money on for the craic, they must be confident from hearsay that things are looking favourable for NO at this point.

• Advertisement

I’m not staying up for the result, I'll be getting up when they declare most likely.

Very little difference between the odds now and last night.

Currently No is @ 1.19

Last night No was @ 1.24

Overwhelming favourites, but just look at it like this, you often see horses beaten at them prices! Especially when you back them!

Very few two horse races in the equine industry though.

Just because media outlets haven't gone to the trouble of making exit polls doesn't mean the bookies haven't. They just won't release their information because that would affect betting.

That's the dumbest thing you've ever said.

That's the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Pray tell... do explain why... otherwise your remark just smells of hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

In the event of controversy, with regard to the legitimacy of the outcome, voting procedures and vote counting etc.

Who is responsible for overseeing this ,does anyone know?

Are the observers,if present, national or international, or from the UK?

Thanks

But a lot of people aren't putting money on for the craic, they must be confident from hearsay that things are looking favourable for NO at this point.

Maybe there all reading this thread lol :-)

Pray tell... do explain why... otherwise your remark just smells of hyperbole.

You're trying to say there's bookies lined up at every polling station carrying out their own exit poll so they can profit from it.

I don't think you have the right to ever accuse anyone of hyperbole after making such an idiotic remark.

The guardian produced a poll at midday saying no had a six point lead - and have been running with the general theme that yes has already been defeated (without anything substantial to back up the assertion, and the polls not even closed).

Something like that can lead to people throwing money one way, odds change and people notice and more money follows in circle that gathers its own momentum.

The guardian, which is really the only British paper that I have much time for has been in full propaganda mode today.

The guardian produced a poll at midday saying no had a six point lead - and have been running with the general theme that yes has already been defeated (without anything substantial to back up the assertion, and the polls not even closed).

Something like that can lead to people throwing money one way, odds change and people notice and more money follows in circle that gathers its own momentum.

The guardian, which is really the only British paper that I have much time for has been in full propaganda mode today.

They're not supposed to be allowed to comment on it today. It's a bit of a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

No media black out, or was this the Irish edition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone hear the guy on Newstalk with Hook yesterday? Some British professor of politics I think it was. He said that a No vote leading to more devolvemnt for Scotland could mean that NI and Wales demand more power from Westminster (and likely get it), and perhaps even regions within Englerlund demanding that they are given a lot more control of their own affairs. Whatever the result there'll likely be less power placed in the hands of Eton boys in future

Starts at 26 mins - http://www.newstalk.com/player/listen_back/9/12866/17th_September_2014_-_The_Right_Hook_Part_2

They're not supposed to be allowed to comment on it today. It's a bit of a farce.

The Guardian has certainly been flirting with the wrong side of the regulations on their website today. The regulations cover broadcasts (which include tweets btw), but the papers seem immune to them.

You're trying to say there's bookies lined up at every polling station carrying out their own exit poll so they can profit from it.

I don't think you have the right to ever accuse anyone of hyperbole after making such an idiotic remark.

No no, that's not what I said. What I actually said was Paddy Power had invested in a monitoring system more intrusive than that used by the Stasi. That they had microphones in every room, pub and public toilet in Scotland and that they have been listening intently to the conversations of EVERY resident of Scotland for at least the last 2000 years :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

You don't need to be at every station for a representative sample size. On the betfair exchange there is €15 million bet so far, the bookies are taking more than that so would be a bit silly to not spend a dew grand on getting an edge on the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

No media black out, or was this the Irish edition?

From what it appears, I don't think it there is a moratorium. I even saw one picture of a big No poster right outside the polling station.

No no, that's not what I said. What I actually said was Paddy Power had invested in a monitoring system more intrusive than that used by the Stasi. That they had microphones in every room, pub and public toilet in Scotland and that they have been listening intently to the conversations of EVERY resident of Scotland for at least the last 2000 years :rolleyes:.

Both sides to the campaign will have monitors at every polling station and will be conducting their own exit interviews. in a close run ballot this helps verify the legitimacy of the poll. It could be that PP has information coming from these sources telling how the poll is going but if it was clear the pendulum had swung one way or another the betting would be closed. PP do not give money away and they would know that they are not the only ones who would hold that information.

As far as I know, it's illegal to publish such information while the polling stations are open as they could influence the result.

If true, they they are breaking the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

As far as I know, it's illegal to publish such information while the polling stations are open as they could influence the result.

As far as I can see, perhaps others also need look again, they reported the poll from the Standard, not a new poll, just the last poll that was done before voting commenced.

Both sides to the campaign will have monitors at every polling station and will be conducting their own exit interviews. in a close run ballot this helps verify the legitimacy of the poll. It could be that PP has information coming from these sources telling how the poll is going but if it was clear the pendulum had swung one way or another the betting would be closed. PP do not give money away and they would know that they are not the only ones who would hold that information.

Yes, but the point is having a good idea and knowing are too different things. People can say anything to an exit poll which is why they are sometimes wrong. Why would any bookmaker close betting based on a semi-trustworthy exit poll? You can bet their odds are informed though.

I wonder if there is a general lack of understanding of what an exit poll is on the part of some who are posting here.

• Advertisement

The poll they published was an opinion poll taken yesterday and the day before. Technically allowed, but I think pushes the boundaries of acceptable behaviour from a so called reputable newspaper on polling day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement