Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Lnaa

The poll they published was an opinion poll taken yesterday and the day before. Technically allowed, but I think pushes the boundaries of acceptable behaviour from a so called reputable newspaper on polling day.

I wonder if any of this would be being mentioned if the tide was going to the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Lnaa wrote: »
    Yes, but the point is having a good idea and knowing are too different things. People can say anything to an exit poll which is why they are sometimes wrong. Why would any bookmaker close betting based on a semi-trustworthy exit poll? You can bet their odds are informed though.

I wonder if there is a general lack of understanding of what an exit poll is on the part of some who are posting here.

Exit polls are by far the most reliable polling method and are usually very accurate. If it was clear a nationwide trend was emerging the markets would be closed.

Bookies never lose (apart from Ivan).

Exit polls are by far the most reliable polling method and are usually very accurate. If it was clear a nationwide trend was emerging the markets would be closed.

Bookies never lose (apart from Ivan).

So they're foolproof then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Berserker wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying this. That is not the case.

- Barroso has stated that they will have to go through the application procedure.
    - Spain, for example, will block their application as it will cause them issues wrt Catalonia.

At best, an independent Scotland, would have to wait for membership for a few years, behind the countries who are currently going through the process.

Why would Spain block Scotland? Their issue with Catalonia is completely different. This is a total red herring cooked up by the no camp. Scotland is currently part of the EU. It's people are currently EU citizens, it implements EU law today, it complies with EU regulations. It's preposterous to suggest they couldn't become members. Austria got fast track membership in the early 1990s and they had no history in the EU at the time.

I wonder if any of this would be being mentioned if the tide was going to the other way.
    I think media silence on polling day and the day before is something that is good, no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

I even question whether polling should be allowed 7 days before an election or referendum as people often fall in behind the perceived majority rather than thinking about the issues for themselves.

I don't have any skin in this game so it doesn't matter to me what way it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Half tempted to do this myself. Got a pizza in the freezer too so hmmm???

What type?
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why would Spain block Scotland? Their issue with Catalonia is completely different. This is a total red herring cooked up by the no camp. Scotland is currently part of the EU. It's people are currently EU citizens, it implements EU law today, it complies with EU regulations. It's preposterous to suggest they couldn't become members.

Spain has already blocked the accession of Kosovo as it fears the separation of Catalonia. It will do the same to Scotland.

Barroso has stated that they won't have membership on a number of occasions. They are exiting the UK and thus the EU. Their application will fall under Article 49. There are countless articles backing this up on google but here is one. Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Why would Spain block Scotland? Their issue with Catalonia is completely different. This is a total red herring cooked up by the no camp. Scotland is currently part of the EU. It's people are currently EU citizens, it implements EU law today, it complies with EU regulations. It's preposterous to suggest they couldn't become members. Austria got fast track membership in the early 1990s and they had no history in the EU at the time.

No sorry. The UK is the EU member. If Scotland leaves the UK it leaves the EU.

Simple.

Its like a wife wanting half her husbands golf club membership when they divorce...

It's a bit like having a husband & wife membership of a club in the husband's name, they get divorced. She then has to apply in her own name as she can't use her (ex)husbands card. Should be straightforward though, barring Spanish attempts to block.

edit: snap dubscottie. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What type?

Think he has a beko

I think media silence on polling day and the day before is something that is good, no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

I even question whether polling should be allowed 7 days before an election or referendum as people often fall in behind the perceived majority rather than thinking about the issues for themselves.

I don't have any skin in this game so it doesn't matter to me what way it goes.

People who blindly follow the majority will always follow a "majority" of sorts, be that an opinion poll, a headline or their peer group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

maybe Iceland would be a example of dealing with the EU and that the

Incidentally, I understand that Salmond wants to be part of the EU, but who is to say Scotland would definitely be better off by being in the EU?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Och ...ahhh cannae teek it noo mooore

Incidentally, I understand that Salmond wants to be part of the EU, but who is to say Scotland would definitely be better off by being in the EU?

Well Salmond keeps banging on about how great Norway is.. And they are not in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

First Up wrote: »
    You can be sure that the bookies have had people at the polls since morning and are using the data. That's why "No" odds have shortened so much today.
    Agreed the bookies aren't stupid. Its just a matter of how much NO wins by.

I fear they're going to get close to 60%, in some comfortable landslide. The whole thing will be like a wet fart if that happens.

Ah jesus lads. Bookies with people outside polling stations? This is basically a novelty bet. The bookies are turning over far more money on the celtic match on at the moment than they are on this stuff. There'll be one person in the office keeping half an eye on the betfair market (the only market that counts in this case) while they do other jobs. If the betfair price drops, so will the price in the bookies. Really there's nothing more to it than that

dubscottie wrote: »
    Well Salmond keeps banging on about how great Norway is.. And they are not in the EU.

Salmond uses whichever model suits him at the time... up until 2007 he used Ireland as the example for what an independent Scotland could become.

However, the fact that both Norway and Switzerland, also smaller nations, are not part of the EU but do quite nicely thank-you may suggest the EU is not the way to go.

Perhaps he should look closer at how they retained their wealth, before going into the EU.

(assuming it's an Aye of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

No sorry. The UK is the EU member. If Scotland leaves the UK it leaves the EU.

Simple.

Its like a wife wanting half her husbands golf club membership when they divorce...

No it's not that simple. The scenario is not covered in the Treaties. In 1982 Greenland left the EC at the time even though there was no mechanism to do so and it wasn't provided for in the Treaties but guess what it was negotiated. This too will be negotiated. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ah jesus lads. Bookies with people outside polling stations? This is basically a novelty bet. The bookies are turning over far more money on the celtic match on at the moment than they are on this stuff. There'll be one person in the office keeping half an eye on the betfair market (the only market that counts in this case) while they do other jobs. If the betfair price drops, so will the price in the bookies. Really there's nothing more to it than that

As you want, but bookies don't take half measures. Its why they are nearly always right. Much more often than the media.

• Advertisement

No it's not that simple. The scenario is not covered in the Treaties. In 1982 Greenland left the EC at the time even though there was no mechanism to do so and it wasn't provided for in the Treaties but guess what it was negotiated. This too will be negotiated. To suggest otherwise is absurd.
    Greenland voted to leave the EU but did not vote for independence from Denmark.
    Scotland is only voting to leave the UK, not the EU.
    It's up to the EU to allow automatic membership to Scotland or make them reapply.

The EC in 1982 is a whole lot different to the EU in 2014 (or even 2016).

The fact is that in the unlikely event of a yes vote, Scotland will be outside the EU for a number of years. This magic membership won't happen. They will need to reapply and that takes years.

The only short term thing they could do is try to get the same status as Gibraltar has with the EU regards to trade/travel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The fact is that in the unlikely event of a yes vote, Scotland will be outside the EU for a number of years. This magic membership won't happen. They will need to reapply and that takes years..
    Can you back that up - or is it your opinion?

Peppa Pig wrote: »

I posted an article above to back up what he is saying. There are a number of articles online stating so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They will need to reapply and that takes years.

Technically, wouldn't they also have to apply to leave, which could take years as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The other countries can , and should, kick up a fuss if Scotland are fast tracked. They are a brand new, un tested country. What happens if they are a basket case and need billions poured in to it to keep it afloat? There'd be uproar that they weren't made meet the conditions others are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Its been like that since this morning. I put £100 on at 1/5 around 11am.

Easy money, well done. I did the same a few days ago with better odds.

It reminds me of the Michael D betting. He slipped out to 5/2 just before the election debate because the FF bagman was doing really well in the polls
    but then it dawned on people that Michael D was the safest bet. I had 300 on the Michael D win.

You really think the EU is going to allow a new country, with no track record join right away? (and Scotland will be a new country)

Thats why Turkey still hasn't joined.. They can't prove that they can do things the "EU way"

Its like giving an 18 year old the keys to a bus with all the other EU members onboard. They wont do it till they know they are capable of driving that bus.

Technically, wouldn't they also have to apply to leave, which could take years as well?

No because by leaving the UK, they are leaving the EU. The UK is a member.
    The other countries can , and should, kick up a fuss if Scotland are fast tracked. They are a brand new, un tested country. What happens if they are a basket case and need billions poured in to it to keep it afloat? There'd be uproar that they weren't made meet the conditions others are.

Well, if it is fast tracked, the countries who are going through the official membership process will kick up a fuss. Why should Scotland get special treatment ahead of them? Also, as stated before Spain will block that, in the same manner that they blocked Kosovo's application. This isn't untested. Kosovo declared independence in 2008 and applied for EU membership. Finally, if an independent Scotland went bust, the IMF would be the place to go, as we know only too well. They would have to sell off their oil and gas first though.

• Advertisement

No. Because the UK is not leaving the EU (yet). The UK is the member as posted already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

No because by leaving the UK, they are leaving the EU

You say that as a fact. My understanding is that there has been no legal opinion offered by the EU on this - unless you know differently? I'm not talking about foreign ministers spouting local politics, I'm talking about an agreed policy by the European Commission.

No. Because the UK is not leaving the EU (yet). The UK is the member as posted already..

I think the point is, Scotland will still be part of the EU tomorrow morning and well into the future just as it will be part of the UK because a yes vote isn't going to happen. The rest is just blowing hot air.

if an independent Scotland went bust, the IMF would be the place to go, as we know only too well
    No they could rejoin the UK, after all that's how they become part of the UK in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

You really think the EU is going to allow a new country, with no track record join right away? (and Scotland will be a new country)
    Haven't a clue - you seem certain though, all I'm asking is for evidence of proof or opinion.

Like this ....
    dubscottie wrote:
    Point me to the legal stance that says Scotland will get automatic EU membership if it goes on its own..

The Yes says it will be no problem.. Still to see the proof though!
    Post 1181

That's at least twice you have been asked to back up your claim - and you cannot.

As for links showing it to be true
    here is one disagreeing with you

You say that as a fact. My understanding is that there has been no legal opinion offered by the EU on this - unless you know differently? I'm not talking about foreign ministers spouting local politics, I'm talking about an agreed policy by the European Commission.

Well why is there talk of Scotland having to reapply if they are not going to leave the EU??

I forgot though that Alex Salmond had a vision and everything will be just dandy...

• Advertisement

The EC in 1982 is a whole lot different to the EU in 2014 (or even 2016).

The fact is that in the unlikely event of a yes vote, Scotland will be outside the EU for a number of years. This magic membership won't happen. They will need to reapply and that takes years.

The only short term thing they could do is try to get the same status as Gibraltar has with the EU regards to trade/travel etc.

What would happen is that they would negotiate their entry during the transition period. The EU can be pragmatic when it needs to be and wouldn't want Scotland out. It has too much oil and fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Logic dictates that since Scotland is currently already EU compliant, then they should be allowed a smooth quick transition back into the EU if they want it.

If Gordon D'Arcy left Leinster, you wouldn't say he is a "Brand new, and untested player.

Edit- If the EU refused Scotland joining, then they are effectively saying they don't support democratic decisions. Dress it up any way you like, but that is how I personally would interpret a refusal of Scotland joining the EU. If anything, a yes vote should further bolster Scotlands credentials as a fair democratic society. Certainly more so than Spain for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's hardly 'untested'. The European Commission already have offices in Scotland.

If you can claim that should it leave the UK, and be subject to the regular process before being admitted to the EU, then why aren't people arguing that should Scotland leave the UK, that the UK should also need to reapply; since it is no longer the entity that joined the EU in the first place?

Haven't a clue - you seem certain though, all
    As for links showing it to be true
    here is one disagreeing with you

Sorry a link to a pro independence website is not "proof"

No they could rejoin the UK, after all that's how they become part of the UK in the first place.

Doubtful. If by some miraculous twist of fate Scotland votes yes its hard to envision the rest of the UK allowing a bankrupt Scotland back into the union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

@dscullylimerick:
    2014-09-18 17:47:19 UTC
    IPSOS MORI confirm that their opinion polls are no longer valid if turnout in Scotland hits 80% I suspect these extra voters will go for Yes

No because by leaving the UK, they are leaving the EU. The UK is a member.

Well, if it is fast tracked, the countries who are going through the official membership process will kick up a fuss. Why should Scotland get special treatment ahead of them? Also, as stated before Spain will block that, in the same manner that they blocked Kosovo's application. This isn't untested. Kosovo declared independence in 2008 and applied for EU membership. Finally, if an independent Scotland went bust, the IMF would be the place to go, as we know only too well. They would have to sell off their oil and gas first though.

Kosovo is a completely different scenario. Kosovo declared independence unilaterally and without the consent of Serbia and also without a referendum of the people! Scotland and the UK have signed a consensual agreement that constitutionally underpins this referendum and the result of the referendum. To draw parallels between the two scenarios is ridiculous.

The most important issue, and one that no-one is discussing, is what will become of Billy Connolly's World Tour of England, Wales and Ireland.

Will it be renamed Billy's World Tour of the UK and Ireland?

Scintillating stuff.

Yeah, I'd imagine the UK would welcome them back with open arms so they can hang around till they're solvent then vote to leave again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yeah, I'd imagine the UK would welcome them back with open arms so they can hang around till they're solvent then vote to leave again.

A 307 years cycle.

It's hardly 'untested'. The European Commission already have offices in Scotland.

Of course it's untested. When before have they stood alone as an economic entity for comparison?

Was talking to family in Scotland there.. 1000's of postal ballots were not sent out (or are missing!!) and people affected have now to collect them from the local council HQ. (which in my aunties case is 25 miles away).

Might be a delay in announcing results till all postal votes are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Doubtful. If by some miraculous twist of fate Scotland votes yes its hard to envision the rest of the UK allowing a bankrupt Scotland back into the union.

Fascinating scaremongering right there. Is that you Mr Cameron?

What would happen is that they would negotiate their entry during the transition period. The EU can be pragmatic when it needs to be and wouldn't want Scotland out. It has too much oil and fish.

And there won't be any issues bumping them to the top of the queue?

Of course it's untested. When before have they stood alone as an economic entity for comparison?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement