Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No Exit Polls !

Should be available now.

Lnaa wrote: »
    Yeah, but what about if you remove Billy Connolly DVD sales?

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll be about 55/45 NO I reckon, I think anyone who is not fully on board the "Yes" bus will have probably decided that the status quo is preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Should be available now.

No media outlet has commissioned an exit poll. Although YouGov have done an online on the day poll, which will be released at 10:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

You are that sure? Hope you made your 25% profit over the last few days so.....

Yeah, although part of me really wants Scotland to go independent, I just can't see it. And there is that small issue that I have money on NO. :o

Chance for Scotland to make history but I don't think they'll take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Although YouGov have conducted an on the day online poll (which I guess is technically not an exit poll). It is expected to be released online at 22:30

This has to be one of the most polled referendums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Kay Burley just asked the No Campaigners why they got hammered tonight.... yer man says he doesn't know what she's on about and she asked if he had seen the latest polls.

She's mental. They haven't even counted anything yet.

iownaphone wrote: »
    EXIT POLLS?????
    Have all the stations closed? there was speculation that some may stay open late to cater for the queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Should be available now.

There are no exit polls. Unless someone is doing a text poll on a radio show - which is possible I suppose!

• Advertisement

No media outlet has commissioned an exit poll. Although YouGov have done an online on the day poll, which will be released at 10:30pm

Online is bollocks. Self selecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

First Up wrote: »
    If other applicant countries are being put through the economic wringer and told its the Euro or nothing, do you seriously think they will tolerate the contrarian Brits (and Scotland will still be Brits in their eyes) getting into the EU on a nod and a wink AND hanging on to sterling?

In the - looking unlikely, right now - result of a Yes, the decisions that will be made are not predicable and there are all kinds of scenarios that will play out.

The EU has a track record of fumbling on despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles (remember Ireland's veto?) and there are too many variables - legal challenges, parliamentary votes, backroom negotiations, a possible UK exit, etc, to speak with certainty about an independent Scotland's EU future.

The EU makes things up as they go along - and given the changing world, it can't really be any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

surely the media that are camped outside most polling stations have a jist of what way the vote went???

this is like christmas eve x 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It'll be about 55/45 NO I reckon, I think anyone who is not fully on board the "Yes" bus will have probably decided that the status quo is preferable.

this is the most likely result....which is a pity as an independent Scotland have so much to offer...rather than going under the flag of britin

it was a pity...they didn't over an indepndant republic as a vote option

That's odd. The only way to do this is to ask people outside the booths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Online is bollocks. Self selecting.

The one poll that showed the biggest Yes lead was online only, and was an outlier in the last week. A lot of different methods were used for different polls in this referendum. As there is nothing to compare against or use to weight polls for this vote, they should all be taken with a pinch of salt IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Postal votes now being counted 700,000

Turn out 85-90% approximately.

A lot of votes not predictable,particularly under 18,

Source :RTE Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Have most of the bookies closed the betting now? Very few of them are up on oddschecker.

The one poll that showed the biggest Yes lead was online only, and was an outlier in the last week. A lot of different methods were used for different polls in this referendum. As there is nothing to compare against or use to weight polls for this vote, they should all be taken with a pinch of salt IMO

Yes. Self selecting. Telephone polls also have a bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Lnaa wrote: »
    One interesting discussion which I don't think has been covered anywhere is what would be the national anthem of an independent Scotland? Technically, Scotland doesn't have an official national anthem. Any suggestions?

If they could put some suitable lyrics to it, Highland Cathedral would make a wonderfully stirring national anthem. I think it is sometimes played by the lone piper above the stands at Murrayfield matches.

Played by a massed pipe band like this one, it puts chills down my spine.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement

Have most of the bookies closed the betting now? Very few of them are up on oddschecker.

Betfair exchange: 6.4/6.8 vs 1.18/.1.19

Meaning: put down £100 and you'll get back £118 if it's a yes, or put it on no and you'll get back £640 if it's a no.

gladrags wrote: »
    Postal votes now being counted 700,000

Turn out 85-90% approximately.

thats phenomenal, wonder does that suit yes or no ??

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Adam Bolton "Over 100%" turn out in some area's

Betfair exchange: 6.4/6.8 vs 1.18/.1.19

Meaning: put down £100 and you'll get back £118 if it's a yes, or put it on no and you'll get back £640 if it's a no.

I think you have that the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Money coming for NO, into 1.15

Game over? NO into 1.12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i hope its a yes, the brits will be completely confused when wimbledon comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

eug87 wrote: »

Dunny-on-the-Wold?

Game over? NO into 1.12

Bet fair don't know nuttin

pedro1234 wrote: »

Well spotted Pedro - indeed I do!

• Advertisement

Bet fair don't know nuttin

Adam Boulton just said word is Westminster Ministers are breathing a quiet sigh of relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pedro1234 wrote: »

Scaremonger!

Betfair punters have effectively called it now, in the last minute or two - a YES would be a massive shock for them at this stage, rather than a "big" one.

Adam Boulton just said word is Westminster Ministers are breathing a quiet sigh of relief.

Fatso Boulton has the inside word has he??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i hope its a yes, the brits will be completely confused when wimbledon comes along.

Why?

Andy Murray is **** again. The useless jock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If it's a no expect talk of devomax to be quietly swept under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

eug87 wrote: »

John Connolly John Connolly.

fryup wrote: »
    Fatso Boulton has the inside word has he??

He has supernatural powers.

How else could he have got the job? It's not for his interviewing skills, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Get your money on yes NOW , utv coverage just stated no camp are very worried with large swarms of yes voters on the streets of edinburgh and aberdeen!

• Advertisement

Betfair punters have effectively called it now, in the last minute or two - a YES would be a massive shock for them at this stage, rather than a "big" one.

Bet fair is muppets betting against other muppets. They probably don't have any info.

so will andy murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Why?

How many points would you get against him then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wouldnt pay much attention to betfair but I'd be suprised if its a yes anyway. A slight lead will always favour those who dont want change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wonder will there be any deliberate spoilt votes and what there reason be for doing so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Not really convinced it's going to be as close as we're bring led to believe. I think a lot of fence sitters will have voted no, and I would imagine that there are a few quiet no voters who haven't been going around shouting about it, but will have come out of the woodwork and cast their vote today.

Either way though, even if the yes side doesn't come through tonight, this is surely the sign of a sea change in the UK. It can only be a matter of time before Scotland breaks away, and then who knows what'll happen with Wales, and Cornwall are talking about independence too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Why?

Crap DJ and not great riding horses..... Handy at the auld tennis though...

Bet fair is muppets betting against other muppets. They probably don't have any info.

True, sir. But why the sudden swings? It's got to be based on something. And if someone does have info, Betfair is where they would be.

Right now, you can get a 12% return on your investment by betting on a "No" vote - so it's absolutely not a racing certainty as far as Betfair is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Not really convinced it's going to be as close as we're bring led to believe. I think a lot of fence sitters will have voted no, and I would imagine that there are a few quiet no voters who haven't been going around shouting about it, but will have come out of the woodwork and cast their vote today.

Either way though, even if the yes side doesn't come through tonight, this is surely the sign of a sea change in the UK. It can only be a matter of time before Scotland breaks away, and then who knows what'll happen with Wales, and Cornwall are talking about independence too.

maybe north England as well??

its often sited as a complaint....the London-centric economy of england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If they vote No the song words should be changed --

"oh cowards of Scotland when will we see
    your likes again"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If they could put some suitable lyrics to it, Highland Cathedral would make a wonderfully stirring national anthem. I think it is sometimes played by the lone piper above the stands at Murrayfield matches.

Played by a massed pipe band like this one, it puts chills down my spine.

It's originally a German song though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement