Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I wonder if the movement to re-integrate Ireland into the UK will gather pace ;)

Does such a movement even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What recent trades on the exchange has shown me, the fluctuation on the betting markets was purely based on the YouGov Poll, and not anything to do with real votes, or tallying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I know it's early days but I'm glad to see Scotland seems to be staying in the Union.

Now is the time to make changes to build a better and stronger Union.

The 'Union' is sundered. You are watching the break-up live, whatever the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I wonder if the movement to re-integrate Ireland into the UK will gather pace ;)

Given the British (especially British loyalists) hate the Irish, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

let me correct that for you..

Hopefully if anything this changes Ireland's shinners rather naïve view of Scotland as fellow oppressed celts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does such a movement even exist?

Sure isn't Ireland full of "Wesht Brits"? That's what I keep hearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

What will people talk about on Saturday?

yo do realise they'll be incomprehensible til at least the end of next week when the yes vote goes through :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What will people talk about on Saturday?

Donegal v. Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Flicked onto BBC. "How is the vote going ?" Simple question ?

I've had a brief history of the Clyde, a potted biography of Ramsey MacDonald and a synopsis of Macbeth. No answer to the ****ing question. Where's Paxman when you need him ?

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The 'Union' is sundered. You are watching the break-up live, whatever the result.

The union is safe, although demographics are changing favourably in Northern Ireland, there's too many Rory McIlroy's about the place and the biggest problem facing nationalism in NI is the softening catholic vote. If they could get 95% of catholics to vote for UI, perhaps, but they can't. They can't even get any protestants either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

BBC Live...

Murray....92% postal vote...86% direct vote

Result is 50-50 chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Given the British (especially British loyalists) hate the Irish, no chance.

What :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Betfair and efficient market hypothesis. Now there's a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Is there any way the Yes side could still win this? Surely the unique nature of this exercise, the fact that there are so many voters (16-18 year olds, those who don't normally vote etc) whose intentions are unpredictable, means that there is still an unknown element to all of this?

Or maybe it is all over bar the counting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Really that long? Didn't Quebec have two votes in the space of 15 years? And I imagine there'll be another on the cards for them at some point in the future. Not that Quebec is the blueprint or anything.

Interestingly, when I was in Spain last year, the Catalan independence movement were citing the Scottish bid as an example for themselves and what they want. They were hoping that an independent Scotland would be a boost for their own campaign. I imagine they'll have their eye on what's happening tonight.

It may or may not take the SNP 10 or so years to get a majority in the Scottish Parliament again.

Quebec's independence campaign has been funded by the French (allegedly) to give them some say in North America (again allegedly).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Scotland will never go independent. A lot of Irish people have a really daft romantic view of Scotland and its time it ends. Scotland is more pro English than it is pro Irish that's for sure, and it should be as they're part of the same country and fight and die in the same army together.

Hopefully if anything this changes Ireland's rather naïve view of Scotland as fellow oppressed celts etc.

I don't think the irish people who want a "Yes" vote are hoping for it, as of our Celtic history, but because we want any nation to be free to rule themselves, a struggle our nation has went through...Also under the same ruler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

feargale wrote: »
    That presupposes that about 30% of the electorate are postal voters. Surely not! Also, there is a No bias in postal votes.

Yeah. Actually the size if the sample is fine but it is too weighted to the postal votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yes. 6 AM was the time I heard. Result is pretty clear now though.

in what way is the result clear can i ask?..
    betfair have changed odds, and an ONLINE yougov poll?..

may as well say the sky looks more red than blue so its a no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I beg to differ. And (so far) so does Scotland. The Union is stronger than ever Happyman. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

yougov sample size only 3000 apparently. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

we should have sent over a few unemployed FF tally men to help with counting,those boys would be calling it by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Scotland will never go independent.

Scotland is the result of NI, I don't say responsible, but they were enthusiastic, so they ARE OUR ENEMIES> in history, and we should despise them and curse them to wherever.

And so forth. It's done, it's done now and a terrible beauty is born, be that be actual defeat, militarily or in a poll, our poll was effectively defeated in 1916 [militarily] and we then had an even worse war, but we ultimately got what a few people wanted, despite, CORK as example being an exemplary English City.

This vote is the beginning. The inevitable conclusion has begun, it will, perhaps not by force of arms, but force of mind, be done.

Is there any way the Yes side could still win this? Surely the unique nature of this exercise, the fact that there are so many voters (16-18 year olds, those who don't normally vote etc) whose intentions are unpredictable, means that there is still an unknown element to all of this?

Or maybe it is all over bar the counting...

Exit polls are often off by 4-5%. In this case they don't even have exit polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kleefarr wrote: »
    yougov sample size only 3000 apparently. :rolleyes:

Not even that. It was 2,632.

The union is safe, although demographics are changing favourably in Northern Ireland, there's too many Rory McIlroy's about the place and the biggest problem facing nationalism in NI is the softening catholic vote. If they could get 95% of catholics to vote for UI, perhaps, but they can't. They can't even get any protestants either.

Cast your mind back two years. YES was an impossible dream, now it is very close.
    The UK is seriously ill, some medicine has worked (mainly scare tactics) but it is only staving off the inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

namloc1980 wrote: »

and somehow a 'no' is "pretty clear"..
    laughable for anyone to call it this early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cast your mind back two years. YES was an impossible dream, now it is very close.
    The UK is seriously ill, some medicine has worked (mainly scare tactics) but it is only staving off the inevitable.

In what way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You'd know the Brits don't do referendums too often...No tallymen in anoraks hanging over the counters!

kingchess wrote: »
    we should have sent over a few unemployed FF tally men to help with counting,those boys would be calling it by now

On whose side?

cloud493 wrote: »
    What :confused:

I post on British political forums and there are daily anti Irish rants by many of the users, from Scottish, Welsh, English people etc. Maybe I read too much stuff from the internet, as I read an awful lot of anti Irish stuff from Digitalspy forums, daily mail, daily telegraph on a regular basis. Perhaps the internet isn't that representative, I surely hope it isn't.

• Advertisement

That's fine. The question is about the selection. How biased were they to older people with phones, or people more likely to answer etc.

There are people voting here who are not normally picked up.

NIMAN wrote: »
    In what way?

Christ, don't get him started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

If the No vote prevails tonight, I can say another referendum within about 5 years. Given how close the vote is at the moment, it could quite well prevail then.

A younger demographic then, combined with a population pissed off when the British government fails to deliver the many promises that the No campaign have made would surely change it.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I beg to differ. And (so far) so does Scotland. The Union is stronger than ever Happyman. ;)

Head firmly in the sand as usual. The Union is under threat tonight, it will survive but only just. That has serious implications, power will be devolved and people get used to power. The Union is in terminal decline.

I post on British political forums and there are daily anti Irish rants by many of the users, from Scottish, Welsh, English people etc. Maybe I read too much stuff from the internet, as I read an awful lot of anti Irish stuff from Digitalspy forums, daily mail, daily telegraph on a regular basis. Perhaps the internet isn't that representative, I surely hope it isn't.

Maybe you are causing it. The telegraph is for nutcases. So too the mail. Digital
    Spy is for shut ins.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    and somehow a 'no' is "pretty clear"..
    laughable for anyone to call it this early

Some of us were calling it two weeks back. That amount of undecided will always skew to the status quo. Salmond needed a solid 60% Yes vote to make a Yes victory possible (and allow for last minute change of mind, complacency etc.).
    40% rock solid and the other 10% per cent dithering made the outcome inevitable. The only thing playing into his hands was the cartoonish antics of the Westminster brigade over the last 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Where are the tally men!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been to England and Scotland numerous times and lived in Wales and only once did I ever have a anti Irish thing said to me.

Great countries I just hope Scotland deliver but can't see it. No with bit spare for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I don't think the irish people who want a "Yes" vote are hoping for it, as of our Celtic history, but because we want any nation to be free to rule themselves, a struggle our nation has went through...Also under the same ruler...

but the scottish ruled us, the scottish are british..so we were in effect ruled by them...as others have stated the scots willing played their part in the british empire

jesus some irish people out there have got this deluded notion about scotland and the scottish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

If the No vote prevails tonight, I can say another referendum within about 5 years. Given how close the vote is at the moment, it could quite well prevail then.

I think this matter is done for a generation.

Project fear worked a treat, the template is set for any future vote.

Head firmly in the sand as usual. The Union is under threat tonight, it will survive but only just. That has serious implications, power will be devolved and people get used to power. The Union is in terminal decline.
    I hope power does get devolved. In fact I'm all for a federal United Kingdom based on the US model with parliaments in the four historic regions and Westminster serving as the federal capitol.

Of course this would involve drawing up a constitution but that wouldn't be a bad thing and would actually serve to strengthen the Union long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Who is staying up to watch the results coming in?

Ill be here till 4.30..

Anyone else?

fryup wrote: »
    but the scottish ruled us, the scottish are british..so we were in effect ruled by them...as others have stated the scots willing played their part in the british empire

jesus some irish people out there have got this deluded notion about scotland and the scottish

There were plenty of Irish lads marching about the Raj as well. Dublin was the second city of the Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Would the counters get to keep the t shirts

Actually, IMO, the best result for Scotland right now is a NO vote.

There is no way they'd be independent in an hour's time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I post on British political forums and there are daily anti Irish rants by many of the users, from Scottish, Welsh, English people etc. Maybe I read too much stuff from the internet, as I read an awful lot of anti Irish stuff from Digitalspy forums, daily mail, daily telegraph on a regular basis.

We Irish people should be thankful that we live in a country where nobody harbours any bad feeling or ill-will towards any of our neighbours, especially on an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Where are the tally men!!

Tally me banana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

dubscottie wrote: »
    Who is staying up to watch the results coming in?

Ill be here till 4.30..

Anyone else?

Aye! I'm here with my bottle of Glenmorangie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You'd know the Brits don't do referendums too often...No tallymen in anoraks hanging over the counters!

I think there are tallys. Appeared to be Tally Men/Women at the count centres, and Tally has been mentioned at least once or twice by the panel on the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think Irish nationalists/republicans are going take any defeat worse than some Scots but only in a meaningless vicarious way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement